Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Dec 29, '11, 8:30 pm
marci marci is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Posts: 878
Religion: Catholic
Default Priest leaving Alter during homily

Can the priest walk around the church during the homily? And I mean not just in the first couple of pews, but actually all the way to the back, down the center aisle, back up the side, back down the other side aisle. He did this during the entire homily. He is not our regular parish priest, he's been filling in for father the last few Sundays.
__________________
"No one can be at the same time a sincere Catholic and a true Socialist." Pius XII
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:10 pm
FrancisB FrancisB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 4, 2009
Posts: 285
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci View Post
Can the priest walk around the church during the homily? And I mean not just in the first couple of pews, but actually all the way to the back, down the center aisle, back up the side, back down the other side aisle. He did this during the entire homily. He is not our regular parish priest, he's been filling in for father the last few Sundays.
From the GIRM (2011 version):

Quote:
136. The Priest, standing at the chair or at the ambo itself or, if appropriate, in another worthy place, gives the Homily. When the Homily is over, a period of silence may be observed.
Although it does not actually specify that he cannot move while talking, the nave of the church is neither the chair nor the ambo. As to whether or not the nave qualifies as "another worthy place" seems dubious to me, but I tend to read these things very conservatively, and church architecture is not my field of study. I would imagine "another worthy place" is intended to allow for the priest to use another area as required by the architecture of the church or perhaps his own physical limitations. I could see this being necessary if the chair were obstructed from view (by a rood or something of the sort) and the priest being too old and infirm to climb the stairs of the pulpit chose to give the sermon from central opening of the rood, where the gates of the altar rail would fall (or the Royal Doors in Eastern churches). Properly speaking, though, this is a sort of ambo as well (at least in the Eastern use of the word). Of course I am assuming that these rubrics allow for alternate uses because of traditional architecture, since more modern architecture would allow for the chair to be easily visible and centrally located and the ambo to be on or near the same level as the altar.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:10 pm
triumphguy's Avatar
triumphguy triumphguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2011
Posts: 8,245
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci View Post
Can the priest walk around the church during the homily? And I mean not just in the first couple of pews, but actually all the way to the back, down the center aisle, back up the side, back down the other side aisle. He did this during the entire homily. He is not our regular parish priest, he's been filling in for father the last few Sundays.
Yes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:39 pm
fred conty fred conty is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 15, 2010
Posts: 5,583
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Some walk around while they talk and for me it is difficult to hear them. They are turning this way and then that way and not toward me so I can hear. When they are on the far side of the chruch I can't hear them at all. Its also easier to hear when they are up higher and projecting their voice. And more often than not, the mic dosen't seem to work that well either. But that's only my opinion.

Some of the saints had the gift of being heard by everyone no matter how far away they were from the priest. One preached to 10,000 people and the person in the back heard as well as the one in front. This may be what Jesus did when he preached to thousands.
But I can say for sure, our priests aren't there yet.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Dec 30, '11, 2:20 am
jimrob jimrob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Posts: 387
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

The usual arrangement is for the homily to be delivered from the ambo. However, we have many itinerant preachers who feel that people will take more notice of them if they wander around the church. Personally I blame the introduction of radio microphones.

Those who actually listen to the homily probably find priestly peregrinations somewhat of a distraction, but the thought that the priest might actually see that you are doing the Sunday Times crossword might make a few people pay attention.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:04 am
jesuspsr's Avatar
jesuspsr jesuspsr is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 20, 2007
Posts: 914
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

We have a preist that stands in front instead of the podium, were he walks back and forth using hand gestures during the homily.

This is one of the methods of teaching I was taught to use when teaching advanced first aid and CPR. It keeps people from getting bored.

Please don't qoute me on this, cause it's been so long, but I believe it was about 3 minutes a person has before our minds start wondering. So, by walking around and hands waving keeps the eyes and mind fixed on the leturer. (sp)


God bless

And everyone have a good and safe New Year



jesus g
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Dec 30, '11, 7:49 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci View Post
Can the priest walk around the church during the homily? And I mean not just in the first couple of pews, but actually all the way to the back, down the center aisle, back up the side, back down the other side aisle. He did this during the entire homily. He is not our regular parish priest, he's been filling in for father the last few Sundays.
I don't thinks there's anything to prevent him from doing this. If he does it, though, I don't expect people take in much of his homily. There was a lecturer when I was at university who spent each lecture walking from one end of the lecture hall to the other. When he got there he walked all the way back. He spent the entire lecture doing this; walking non-stop. It looked like the students were watching a tennis match. I think his idiosyncrasy distracted many students.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:09 am
FrancisB FrancisB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 4, 2009
Posts: 285
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
Yes.
While this may be literally true, in that the priest is physically capable of moving around, this does nothing to help the discussion, and at any rate I feel quite sure that the original poster meant to say "may" and not "can". If you are answering the "may" with a simple yes, you are not only wrong, but completely oblivious to the fact that I already quoted legitimate authority on the issue. There is a little room for interpretation in the GIRM, but not enough that "yes" is a responsible answer.

I find it odd that everyone just posts their opinions to these kinds of questions and ignores the GIRM. I take it you must like priests walking around and don't want to see what is actually supposed to be legitimate. While in principle I don't mind a priest walking during a sermon, as long as his wireless microphone makes him clear, a quick look at the GIRM suggests this is not appropriate. Does anyone have a document that states otherwise?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:10 am
FrancisB FrancisB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 4, 2009
Posts: 285
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Holford View Post
I don't thinks there's anything to prevent him from doing this. If he does it, though, I don't expect people take in much of his homily. There was a lecturer when I was at university who spent each lecture walking from one end of the lecture hall to the other. When he got there he walked all the way back. He spent the entire lecture doing this; walking non-stop. It looked like the students were watching a tennis match. I think his idiosyncrasy distracted many students.
Are you serious? Did you read what I quoted? I gave you the quote from the GIRM that prevents this. This isn't a university lecture; it's part of the Mass!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:19 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisB View Post
Are you serious? Did you read what I quoted? I gave you the quote from the GIRM that prevents this. This isn't a university lecture; it's part of the Mass!
Are you serious? Did you read what I said? I explained how distracting it is. I did not condone it in anyway!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:21 am
FrancisB FrancisB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 4, 2009
Posts: 285
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Holford View Post
Are you serious? Did you read what I said? I explained how distracting it is. I did not condone it in anyway!
I didn't say you condoned it. I said the reason the priest shouldn't do this isn't that it's distracting; it's that it isn't allowed. This is the problem, Matthew. We may agree on the end result, but your argument still goes back to opinion, not authoritative documents. That means that the next person that comes along can just disagree with you. The Mass isn't about opinions, even if we happen to share similar views.

You said "I don't think there's anything that prevents him from doing this.", but I had already quoted something that prevented him from doing this!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:33 am
Deo Gratias42 Deo Gratias42 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 2011
Posts: 2,281
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisB View Post
Are you serious? Did you read what I quoted? I gave you the quote from the GIRM that prevents this. This isn't a university lecture; it's part of the Mass!
My university instructors never left their podium when giving lectures.

The walking around is form of showmanship and draws attention to the priest, rather than what he's saying.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:33 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisB View Post
I didn't say you condoned it. I said the reason the priest shouldn't do this isn't that it's distracting; it's that it isn't allowed. This is the problem, Matthew. We may agree on the end result, but your argument still goes back to opinion, not authoritative documents. That means that the next person that comes along can just disagree with you. The Mass isn't about opinions, even if we happen to share similar views.

You said "I don't think there's anything that prevents him from doing this.", but I had already quoted something that prevented him from doing this!
That's the problem when citing the Church's laws. They mustn't be taken out of context. Does the law impose a penalty? No. Does it restrict the free exercise of rights? No. Does it make an exception to the law? No. Therefore, the law can be interpreted widely. You have made one interpretation of it, i.e. the priest cannot move from the place where he starts his homily. There can be more than one interpretation of a law.

My parish priest quite rightly deserves the adjectives: conservative, orthodox, and traditional. He is very do the red and say the black. He often does not stay is one spot when preaching his homily on Sundays.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:36 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
My university instructors never left their podium when giving lectures.
Only one of mine did; not all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
The walking around is form of showmanship and draws attention to the priest, rather than what he's saying.
As I said it distracts. The congregants will observe the walk; they won't hear the talk.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:51 am
FrancisB FrancisB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 4, 2009
Posts: 285
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Priest leaving Alter during homily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Holford View Post
That's the problem when citing the Church's laws. They mustn't be taken out of context. Does the law impose a penalty? No. Does it restrict the free exercise of rights? No. Does it make an exception to the law? No. Therefore, the law can be interpreted widely. You have made one interpretation of it, i.e. the priest cannot move from the place where he starts his homily. There can be more than one interpretation of a law.

My parish priest quite rightly deserves the adjectives: conservative, orthodox, and traditional. He is very do the red and say the black. He often does not stay is one spot when preaching his homily on Sundays.
It is up to the local ordinary to correct the problem and impose a penalty suitable to the situation. It is likely that the priest does not know he is not supposed to move. That does not mean that the rules are not rules just because they aren't assigned a specific penalty for each time they are broken.

And I'm not interpreting anything; I'm reading what it says. I acknowledged that there is a little bit of room for interpretation, but it does not mention moving whatsoever. It says that it is to be given "standing at" the chair or the ambo or another suitable place. "Standing at" does not ever imply walking in English. I do not understand the point of anyone ever writing anything down if words can simply be "interpreted" to have new definitions.

Everything is not open to interpretation. "Another worthy place" is, and I did not try to interpret it, merely offer some understanding as to why these things are worded such. It is up to the bishop to determine "another worthy place". That said, walking around the church does not qualify as "standing at...another worthy place" by any stretch. That's not interpretation. It's English grammar. That's why they translated things, so we could understand them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8458Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5146CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3738Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3322Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3110For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:25 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.