Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Sandbox
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Dec 27, '11, 7:43 am
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Mathematics is fun. The harder the class is the more fun it is.
Agreed! That is what I tell my students as well, and they seem to agree!! The harder it is, the more fun they have (and the greater sense of satisfaction of understanding and accomplishing something that is deemed to be for grades 2-3 years older than they are!)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Dec 27, '11, 2:24 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
Agreed! That is what I tell my students as well, and they seem to agree!! The harder it is, the more fun they have (and the greater sense of satisfaction of understanding and accomplishing something that is deemed to be for grades 2-3 years older than they are!)
Could you learn me to do that arithmetic thingy, all grown up, like I am?

I would love to learn math, just so I could hold my head up among my peers. My pals will tell me they are so "bad" at math, because they didn't take physics. I'm still using a magic grid to do multiplication, and double-and triple-checking everything, because I'm so dyscalcic (which no one knew about when I was flunking math classes and getting straight A's in all the others).
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Dec 27, '11, 4:33 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
Could you learn me to do that arithmetic thingy, all grown up, like I am?

I would love to learn math, just so I could hold my head up among my peers. My pals will tell me they are so "bad" at math, because they didn't take physics. I'm still using a magic grid to do multiplication, and double-and triple-checking everything, because I'm so dyscalcic (which no one knew about when I was flunking math classes and getting straight A's in all the others).
Sure! I would love to ! Math is so much fun!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Dec 27, '11, 11:18 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
Sure! I would love to ! Math is so much fun!
I'm good up to pre-algebra. What should I do next?
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Dec 27, '11, 11:50 pm
Anathama Sit's Avatar
Anathama Sit Anathama Sit is offline
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 23, 2011
Posts: 19,545
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Anathama Sit
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
I'm good up to pre-algebra. What should I do next?
Greetings Peggy in Burien,

Algebra I
Geometry
Algebra II
Trigonometry
Pre-Calculus
Calculus I, II, and III

The usual order of things.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Dec 28, '11, 6:25 am
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Greetings Peggy in Burien,

Algebra I
Geometry
Algebra II
Trigonometry
Pre-Calculus
Calculus I, II, and III

The usual order of things.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

Yep, correct.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Dec 29, '11, 8:26 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Greetings Peggy in Burien,

Algebra I
Geometry
Algebra II
Trigonometry
Pre-Calculus
Calculus I, II, and III

The usual order of things.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit
Let's see: Algebra I (1971) grade= F

Geometry (1972) grade= B+

Algebra II/Trig (1979) grade= D- (spoon fed to me in the USAF by a very patient Captain)

All right, which of you is going to tutor me?
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Dec 29, '11, 8:50 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Start HERE and let me know where you get stuck!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Dec 29, '11, 8:54 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
Start HERE and let me know where you get stuck!
Thanks! I will try this. Now, I first have to get over 40 years of mind block....
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Dec 29, '11, 10:04 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
Thanks! I will try this. Now, I first have to get over 40 years of mind block....
Think positive!! You CAN do this! Forget any preconceived notions or ideas you may have had, and you WILL get this!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:20 pm
Anathama Sit's Avatar
Anathama Sit Anathama Sit is offline
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 23, 2011
Posts: 19,545
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Anathama Sit
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
Let's see: Algebra I (1971) grade= F

Geometry (1972) grade= B+

Algebra II/Trig (1979) grade= D- (spoon fed to me in the USAF by a very patient Captain)

All right, which of you is going to tutor me?
Greetings Peggy in Burien,

Since Catholic90 offered to do it, I shall let her do it. However, should the both of you get stuck, which I highly doubt will happen, I will be glad to help you guys out.

So Catholic90 did you major in Mathematics in University? I did.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Dec 30, '11, 1:49 am
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Greetings Peggy in Burien,

Since Catholic90 offered to do it, I shall let her do it. However, should the both of you get stuck, which I highly doubt will happen, I will be glad to help you guys out.

So Catholic90 did you major in Mathematics in University? I did.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit
Just remember, I have to fight the dyscalcia, too! But, I will try. This old dog really wants to get her BA or BS (I originally wanted to be the first historical geologist on the Moon).
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:20 am
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Stuff

It.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Dec 30, '11, 7:41 am
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Greetings Peggy in Burien,

Since Catholic90 offered to do it, I shall let her do it. However, should the both of you get stuck, which I highly doubt will happen, I will be glad to help you guys out.

So Catholic90 did you major in Mathematics in University? I did.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit
I majored in the sciences in college. Now I teach upper elementary school, including teaching the really quick kids introduction to algebra (student led, based in their ability and interest). Good to have you as a knowledgeable resource, Asit!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Dec 30, '11, 9:49 am
grasscutter's Avatar
grasscutter grasscutter is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 10, 2011
Posts: 3,131
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Stuff

Does anyone remember the uproar when they came out with a talking Barbie and one of the things she said was "math is hard"? Of course, she also said "I like shopping".
__________________
And they'll know we are Christians by our love.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Sandbox

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4346Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3835SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3570Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3206Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Chast Forever
3132Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3049For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.