Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 6, '12, 6:22 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Funny incidents while discerning a vocation

Ok here one experence of many, Well I am adopted and when I frist felt Gods call I changed my name back to my Birth Name but the Name got mis-spelled on the form and instead of Ava it was printed out to read Avia. Ava means white bird in spanish which is my birth name but all the documents came back and read Avia which means The way in Spanish. A few months later I went to a talk by a visiting Priest at my Parish . I was sitting in the Church I was early so I was just praying about my discernment and something made me look up from prayer and toward the back of the Church. At the enterence I see a older women in a wheelchair she seemed to be shearching for the best place to go I got up and asked if she needed help finding a place to sit , she replyed she was looking to see where the best place might be for her out of the way of others and sugested that we try going down the side isle in the front and helped her to a place where she could see the alter and be in a safe spot. She asked my name and still shy about the mix up I told her my name I answered my name is Avia and then she said " the way " and I asked if she spoke spanish and she said she did a litte. She then asked," and are you the way? " I said and I dont know what made me say this but I said I am one who follows the way I walk in His way and I am she points to the Path of Our Lord who is the Way . Later I was looking for my friend who I invited there and this same woman asked who I was looking for I said I was hoping my friend would come as I had invited her. She said as if it was the most natural thing to say just as we would say make a phone call , She said to me just send the Holy Sprit to her and she will hear you. I thought to myself I am not sure I know how but I kelt to pray and asked the Holy Spirt to help and convay the message to my friend . After a few moments my phone rang it was my friend saying she just remember the talk at the Church this evening but could not come because she was working. I almost fainted. Well it did not end there This woman and I talk till the visiting prist began his talk when Father offered to annoint all who wanted it I turn to find her gon , Now this at first may not seem strange but as she was in a wheel chair and could not turn in the Isle and would have had to pass in front of me to exist the nearest side door to the Chuch I was agian left in wonder. Blessed is His Holy Name Your Sister in Christ Avia Maria Lucia Montoya
Old Jan 6, '12, 6:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and loving it
Send a message via MSN to DevotedChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMontoya View Post
Ok here one experence of many, Well I am adopted and when I frist felt Gods call I changed my name back to my Birth Name but the Name got mis-spelled on the form and instead of Ava it was printed out to read Avia. Ava means white bird in spanish which is my birth name but all the documents came back and read Avia which means The way in Spanish. A few months later I went to a talk by a visiting Priest at my Parish . I was sitting in the Church I was early so I was just praying about my discernment and something made me look up from prayer and toward the back of the Church. At the enterence I see a older women in a wheelchair she seemed to be shearching for the best place to go I got up and asked if she needed help finding a place to sit , she replyed she was looking to see where the best place might be for her out of the way of others and sugested that we try going down the side isle in the front and helped her to a place where she could see the alter and be in a safe spot. She asked my name and still shy about the mix up I told her my name I answered my name is Avia and then she said " the way " and I asked if she spoke spanish and she said she did a litte. She then asked," and are you the way? " I said and I dont know what made me say this but I said I am one who follows the way I walk in His way and I am she points to the Path of Our Lord who is the Way . Later I was looking for my friend who I invited there and this same woman asked who I was looking for I said I was hoping my friend would come as I had invited her. She said as if it was the most natural thing to say just as we would say make a phone call , She said to me just send the Holy Sprit to her and she will hear you. I thought to myself I am not sure I know how but I kelt to pray and asked the Holy Spirt to help and convay the message to my friend . After a few moments my phone rang it was my friend saying she just remember the talk at the Church this evening but could not come because she was working. I almost fainted. Well it did not end there This woman and I talk till the visiting prist began his talk when Father offered to annoint all who wanted it I turn to find her gon , Now this at first may not seem strange but as she was in a wheel chair and could not turn in the Isle and would have had to pass in front of me to exist the nearest side door to the Chuch I was agian left in wonder. Blessed is His Holy Name Your Sister in Christ Avia Maria Lucia Montoya
oh my gosh! Blessed Be the Lord. That's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.
Patronness Saint Agnes! and Saint Therese of the Little Flower pray for us. Holy Mother Mary, pray for us sinners and bring us all to Jesus, your son. Sweet, Beloved Jesus, embrace us and never let go.
Old Jan 9, '12, 4:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was reading and article on Dominican Sprituality in the Catholic Digest while listening to my MP3 player which was on a random shuffle. In the middle of reading the lyrics of the song just "clicked." "Take me far from all I know, to live a life that's not my own."

Coincidence, I think not.
Old Jan 9, '12, 5:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and loving it
Send a message via MSN to DevotedChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Peony View Post
I was reading and article on Dominican Sprituality in the Catholic Digest while listening to my MP3 player which was on a random shuffle. In the middle of reading the lyrics of the song just "clicked." "Take me far from all I know, to live a life that's not my own."

Coincidence, I think not.
Oh wow how wonderful. There was a article that I once read about a nun's dicernment or it was post somewhere on this site that this girl was praying about what vocation God wanted for her to take and then she hears "wil you marry me" in a voice comes out of her speakers where she was listening to music from.
Patronness Saint Agnes! and Saint Therese of the Little Flower pray for us. Holy Mother Mary, pray for us sinners and bring us all to Jesus, your son. Sweet, Beloved Jesus, embrace us and never let go.
Old Feb 21, '12, 8:13 pm

The other day I was talking with my mom about my discerning while we were having dinner and watching TV, and then came a strange Buchannan's (I think) advertisement, and the last phrase it displayed was "Do you hear the calling?"

Also, I've heard that some people said that I wanted to be a Priest, but I didn't ever tell them!
Old Feb 22, '12, 6:04 am

I was at a fundraiser at church the other day, and like out of no where this lady asked me, "Are you going to be a priest." I was like, "uhhhhhh...." It was just really random hahaha.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

(I know this isn't funny, but it's really important, and I'm sure you guys will like it!)

So I just got a call about an hour ago from my bishop's secretary saying that he and the entire vocations committee for our diocese wants to interview me a month from now. Even though this is a month away, I'm nervous as heck right now. Prayers until then would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

If you knew how much I love you, you would cry with joy.
-Mary

I don't wanna live!
I don't wanna breathe!
Unless I feel You next to me,
You take the pain I feel,
Waking up to You never felt so real!

-Skillet "Comatose"
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan V View Post
(I know this isn't funny, but it's really important, and I'm sure you guys will like it!)

So I just got a call about an hour ago from my bishop's secretary saying that he and the entire vocations committee for our diocese wants to interview me a month from now. Even though this is a month away, I'm nervous as heck right now. Prayers until then would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!
Congratulations, I'll pray for you and make sure of it at weekly adoration. God Bless

This has got to be a favorite thread of mine because it is so uplifting. I miss it when nobody posts for a while.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan V View Post

Congratulations! I'll be sure to pray for you!
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:31 pm

I still have a lot of things to take care of before I could do anything besides personal reading and talking to a vocation director, in terms of the vocation, but as I sit here trying to read about different religious orders, two doves suddenly land on top of the window sill right in front of me...
Old Feb 29, '12, 5:57 pm

Okay, so I had to serve at Mass this evening, and I was in the sacristy with the reader and sacristan. I was just standing there, and I overheard the reader say, "Should I tell him?" So, I was thinking she meant Father. Well, she turns to me and says, "I think you'd make a GREAT priest. Have you ever thought about it?" I was stunned because I never really conversed with this lady or ever talked to her. It was just stunning because I don't really know her. She used to be a nun from what I heard, and I was thinking, "this isn't a coincidence." Lol.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations