Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Legion of Mary

Legion of Mary Click here to visit this social group

Old Dec 31, '11, 9:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Legion of Mary - any members out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter62 View Post
i am so glad that you responded. So you have the irish blood in you. I hope not the irish temper! Ha, ha! I have only joined the legion a few weeks, but i felt i was drawn to it, and i feel at home there. I am looking forward to active duty. I wish you a joyous and peaceful new year, and the same to all in your praesidium. God bless us all through mary.
Hi Peter, I am glad that you join the group. I am Maria Aurea and I ahve been in the legion for a few years now.
I belong to bothe the senior and junior praesidium in our parish of Good Shepherd in Plumpton, Sydney, Australia.
I am the vice president in one of our junior praesidiums and I really find it a very rewarding thing to do.
I originally came from the Philippines where I was also a legionary but now living in Australia.
Maria Christi and I have been chatting through this column for a while. I have been very busy lately that I was not able to go this column.
Hope you enjoy the legion as much as we do.
I hope the new year will be prosperous one and all your dreams come true with God's blessings and our Blessed Mother's guidance.

God Bless,
Maria Aurea
Old Dec 31, '11, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaChristi View Post
Dear Maria,

Sorry it has taken me this long to reply. Thank you and all the Legion of Mary members who are praying for Bernie and Chuck. Chuck has begun both chemo and radiation treatments for cancer. He is not doing too well. Please keep them both in your prayers.

Thanks also for the information you sent via e-mail. It was helpful, and we continue to pray for a Junior Praesidium. Prayer is so important in all our efforts; Jesus told us "Without Me, you can do nothing" (John 15). May we continue to learn from Mary how to keep His Word, and ponder within our hearts.

Gratefully, in His Heart and Hers,
Dear Maria Christi,

Belated Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to you and your family. Please give our regards to Bernie and Chuck. How are they? They are always included in our prayers.
I have been very busy lately both at work, home and legion commitments that I don't even have time to sit infront of my computer.
May the New Year bring us all everything we need through God's blessings and our Blessed Mother's guidance and intercession.

God Bless always,

Maria Aurea
Old Jan 1, '12, 4:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Aurea View Post
Dear Maria Christi,

Belated Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to you and your family. Please give our regards to Bernie and Chuck. How are they? They are always included in our prayers.
I have been very busy lately both at work, home and legion commitments that I don't even have time to sit infront of my computer.
May the New Year bring us all everything we need through God's blessings and our Blessed Mother's guidance and intercession.

God Bless always,

Maria Aurea
Dear Maria,

Thanks so much for remembering Chuck and Bernie. One of our Legionaries went to see them and told me that Chuck isn't doing too well -- no wonder since he is undergoing both chemo and radiation. The last time I talked with Bernie on the phone, she was her usual "positive" and prayerful self, but I know how hard it must be for her. Please keep them in your prayers.

Blessed new 2012 to you and to all those God has entrusted into your care. May we cooperate more fully this year than last with all the graces God gives us, for His Glory and the good of souls.

Lovingly in Our Lady, On this her Feast: The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God,
Old Jan 1, '12, 6:29 am

Quote:
Dear Maria,

Thanks so much for remembering Chuck and Bernie. One of our Legionaries went to see them and told me that Chuck isn't doing too well -- no wonder since he is undergoing both chemo and radiation. The last time I talked with Bernie on the phone, she was her usual "positive" and prayerful self, but I know how hard it must be for her. Please keep them in your prayers.

Blessed new 2012 to you and to all those God has entrusted into your care. May we cooperate more fully this year than last with all the graces God gives us, for His Glory and the good of souls.

Lovingly in Our Lady, On this her Feast: The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God,
I understand what Chuck is going through as I have an officemate who had to take a few months leave from work due to having chemo and radiation therapy but she will be coming back to work this month hopefully.

Prayers and faith in God are the best medicine and our Blessed Mother's assistance and intercession. This is waht I always tell people who have the same problem.

I wish you and your family the best this year.

Pls. give my regards to Chuck abd Bernie.
Old Jan 1, '12, 6:40 am
Book Club Member

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

a warm welcome to Peter and any other members that have joined recently - I hope you'll find a nice welcoming community here as well as in your praesidia.

I am in a praesidium in central London, my Dad comes from Northern Ireland - Newry in County Down. A lot of the praesidia in central London have Irish members, as well as Nigerian, Philipino, Indian and even a whole praesidium of Congolese members! We truly are an international organisation and our get togethers such as the Acies and the annual general reunion are lovely occasions.

The Legion of Mary group is now open.
Please join us.
Old Jan 2, '12, 3:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora_pro_nobis View Post

a warm welcome to Peter and any other members that have joined recently - I hope you'll find a nice welcoming community here as well as in your praesidia.

I am in a praesidium in central London, my Dad comes from Northern Ireland - Newry in County Down. A lot of the praesidia in central London have Irish members, as well as Nigerian, Philipino, Indian and even a whole praesidium of Congolese members! We truly are an international organisation and our get togethers such as the Acies and the annual general reunion are lovely occasions.
Dear ora_pro_nobis,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am one who joined recently, from Queen of Peace Praesidium in the USA. Yes, it is wonderful to know that the Legion is all over the world. May we daily bear witness to Christ, as Mary did. Please let us pray for one another and for all those in most need of His Mercy.
Old Jan 4, '12, 2:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora_pro_nobis View Post

Dear ora_pro_nobis,

It's really nice to meet more legionaries from other part of the world and exchange greetings.
I am glad to hear that Legion of Mary in your part of the world is really thriving.
As Maria Christi said, we should all pray for every legionaries wherever they may be. We should not also forget our auxilliary members who are a very important part of the Legion.

God Bless,

Maria Aurea
Old Jan 19, '12, 3:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Salvete all!

I'm a young Catholic girl currently discerning whether or not to take the Legion Promise. I've been with a local praesidium since September and I have to make a decision on whether or not to make the Promise by March. There are a couple of things that are making me hesitate:

1. Possibly the most important thing is committment. I will very likely be leaving the city in which I'm living at present once my work finishes in June and I don't know what I will do about the Legion then...become an Auxilliary, perhaps? In a way that's even greater committment. As it is, I'm trying to pray the Rosary daily (made a New Year's Resolution), although I have fallen several times.

2. I have felt called to enter an enclosed, contemplative order for about eighteen months. I wonder will I be allowed to remain a Legionary once I enter such an order.

3. Can one leave the Legion altogether after making the Promise? As far as I can tell, it seems to be possible; but would it be gravely sinful to leave because of poor committment, especially to the recitation of the Tesera? I suspect it would probably be better if one suspected habitual failure in keeping up with the required prayers to refrain from taking the promise...

4. Is the Legio Mariae handbook essentially like a Rule in a religious order? That is, if you break any of the rules after making the Promise, do you commit a sin...even a mortal sin?

5. With regard to material relief, I know that the Legion doesn't participate in this. Does this mean I can't give, for example, a cup of coffee to someone begging, or donate at church-gate collections, and so on?

6. Finally, one minor issue: when saying the Rosary with the Legion, I noticed that the opening 'Apostle's Creed', 1 'Our Father', 3 'Hail Mary's, and 1 'Glory Be', as well as the Fatima prayer between decades, are left out or not mentioned in the handbook and with my praesidium. Is it okay to pray these also?

May God bless this little group. My thanks to the starting members, and the OP of this thread too!

Beannacht Dé (God bless).
A pure heart create for me, O God; put a steadfast spirit within me. ~ Ps. 50:12

God responds to prayers in one of three ways:
1) Yes
2) Not yet
3) I have something better in mind...
Old Jan 20, '12, 5:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahbios View Post
Salvete all!

I'm a young Catholic girl currently discerning whether or not to take the Legion Promise. I've been with a local praesidium since September and I have to make a decision on whether or not to make the Promise by March. There are a couple of things that are making me hesitate:

1. Possibly the most important thing is committment. I will very likely be leaving the city in which I'm living at present once my work finishes in June and I don't know what I will do about the Legion then...become an Auxilliary, perhaps? In a way that's even greater committment. As it is, I'm trying to pray the Rosary daily (made a New Year's Resolution), although I have fallen several times.

2. I have felt called to enter an enclosed, contemplative order for about eighteen months. I wonder will I be allowed to remain a Legionary once I enter such an order.

3. Can one leave the Legion altogether after making the Promise? As far as I can tell, it seems to be possible; but would it be gravely sinful to leave because of poor committment, especially to the recitation of the Tesera? I suspect it would probably be better if one suspected habitual failure in keeping up with the required prayers to refrain from taking the promise...

4. Is the Legio Mariae handbook essentially like a Rule in a religious order? That is, if you break any of the rules after making the Promise, do you commit a sin...even a mortal sin?

5. With regard to material relief, I know that the Legion doesn't participate in this. Does this mean I can't give, for example, a cup of coffee to someone begging, or donate at church-gate collections, and so on?

6. Finally, one minor issue: when saying the Rosary with the Legion, I noticed that the opening 'Apostle's Creed', 1 'Our Father', 3 'Hail Mary's, and 1 'Glory Be', as well as the Fatima prayer between decades, are left out or not mentioned in the handbook and with my praesidium. Is it okay to pray these also?

May God bless this little group. My thanks to the starting members, and the OP of this thread too!

Beannacht Dé (God bless).
Dear Beannacht De,

1. I joined the Legion as a teenager, and so did not make the Legionary Promise until I was an adult and joined the Senior Legion. The Legionary Promise is a beautiful commitment which I believe grew out of St. Louis Marie de Montfort's Act of Consecration which had a profound influence on the life of the founder of the Legion, the Servant of God, Frank Duff. I am happy I made the Legion Promise.

I know many lay as well as religious women who have made this promise and it has been a great blessing in our lives. I would not be afraid of the commitment but rather I would encourage you to remember the words so often repeated by Blessed John Paul II, "Be not afraid. Open wide the doors of your heart to Christ." This Pope made his Act of consecration as a young man and said it was a turning point in his life.

If you are moving, too far from your presnt Praesidium you may need to resign from that Praesidium but I would encourage you to look for another in your new location. If you cannot find one, then yes, I'd encourage you to become an Auxiliary member and strive to keep that resolution to pray the Rosary and the short Tessera prayers. No matter how many times you may fall asleep praying or forget, simply begin again. Jesus fell on the way up Calvary but He kept going.

2. You will need to check with the Order you are intending to join, as to whether you may eventually return to Active membership as a Religious. My Junior Legion had a Dominican Nun as the Spiritual Director. I see no reason why you might not remain an Auxiliary member and be a nun in a Religious Order at the same time. I would simply ask the Order.

3. I do not think that one makes the commitment under any pain of sin, but rather as way to personal holiness. It may happen that for a time a person cannot continue active membership but auxiliary membership seems such a beautiful way to continue growing in love for Jesus and Mary, I would want to continue in whatever way I could.

4. Likewise the Handbook is not observed under penalty of sin. You may want to talk over these points with the Spiritual Director of your Praesidium, and/or if you have a good confessor who knows the Legion of Mary well, you may want to talk to him. You may be close to scruples on this.

5. We are always free to give material aid personally as we are moved by the Holy Spirit, but in doing the Active work assigned by the Legion, our primary object is the reign of Christ in souls. We are looking to the spiritual needs primarily among those we serve.

6. I also wondered about the way the Legion prays the Rosary and the fact that the Fatima prayer is not included, but I was told by the Curia President that it was prayed this way in the beginning and the meetings continue in this manner for the sake of uniformity. Privately I pray the creed, etc. and include the Fatima invocation: "O my Jesus, pardon us and save us from the fires of hell. Draw all souls to heaven especially, those in most need of Your Mercy.

Hope this helps. Let us please continue to pray for one another that we accomplish His Will always, through Mary.
Old Sep 20, '12, 5:55 am

Hello to all our Legion of Mary friends all over the world. It's been a while since I was able to post something.
I hope you all doing well.
October is the month of our Blessed Mother and this month, the Society of Patricians which is part of the active work of the Legion is having a meeting and the topic of the talk is about our Blessed Mother.
On her birthday on September 8, we celebrated it by having all our Juniors have a procession and offer roses to our Mother. It was nice to see quite a nymber of people turn up to show their love and reverence to our Mother.
God Bless to all

Maria Aurea
Old Sep 21, '12, 3:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Aurea View Post
Hello to all our Legion of Mary friends all over the world. It's been a while since I was able to post something.
I hope you all doing well.
October is the month of our Blessed Mother and this month, the Society of Patricians which is part of the active work of the Legion is having a meeting and the topic of the talk is about our Blessed Mother.
On her birthday on September 8, we celebrated it by having all our Juniors have a procession and offer roses to our Mother. It was nice to see quite a nymber of people turn up to show their love and reverence to our Mother.
God Bless to all

Maria Aurea
Dear Maria,

Good to hear from you again. We do not have a "Patricians" group as yet, but we do have two Bible Studies, which I encourage legionaries to attend -- and we do attend them on Sundays. One is strictly on Scripture but the other Study alternates between Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I try to bring Mary into each discussion as is appropriate, often.

We also had a Legion celebration with both active and auxiliary Legion members participating in Holy Mass on Sept. 8 and refreshments afterwards. It was a blessing. We have not been able to get a Junior group started yet, but have not given up hope. Please let us continue to pray for one another, and that the Legion will be a big part of the "New Evangelization" and the "Year of Faith" which Pope Benedict is advocating for the whole Church.
Old Sep 22, '12, 7:20 am

Quote:
Dear Maria,

Good to hear from you again. We do not have a "Patricians" group as yet, but we do have two Bible Studies, which I encourage legionaries to attend -- and we do attend them on Sundays. One is strictly on Scripture but the other Study alternates between Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I try to bring Mary into each discussion as is appropriate, often.

We also had a Legion celebration with both active and auxiliary Legion members participating in Holy Mass on Sept. 8 and refreshments afterwards. It was a blessing. We have not been able to get a Junior group started yet, but have not given up hope. Please let us continue to pray for one another, and that the Legion will be a big part of the "New Evangelization" and the "Year of Faith" which Pope Benedict is advocating for the whole Church.
Hi MariaChristi,

I am glad to hear from you. This afternoon in our Juniors meeting, your praesidium was just mentioned in our prayer offering and as soon as I open my computer, the first thing I saw was your message through the forum.
I was also thinking about Bernie and Chuck, how are they?
I am glad to hear about your Bible study group. I hope one day we can start one too but at the moment we just have so many things going on with our activities in the Legion.
We have split our senior Praesidium into two groups to allow people who cannot attend the meeting in the morning so a new praesidium was formed and they have their meeting every Thursday night while we have ours every Saturday morning so we now have three senior and three junior praesidium in our Parish.
We never forget to offer prayers for all other legionaries and other praesidiums in our prayer offerings especially the juniors together with all their other prayer offerings.
God Bless
Maria Aurea
Old Feb 19, '13, 12:47 pm
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

I am in the US Chicago area suburbs. I have been in the Legion since 1977 but was inactive due to work for a couple of years.
Old Feb 20, '13, 3:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd777 View Post
I am in the US Chicago area suburbs. I have been in the Legion since 1977 but was inactive due to work for a couple of years.
Hi egd777,

I used to say that before I became active in the Legion. I work full time, I have a granddaughter that I need to take to before and after school care every day 5 days a week, my housework and whatever I can think of and on top of that I am widow so I have to do everything by myself. In fact, my granddaughter became an active member before me and she was the one that made me decide to be an active member.
Once I became an active member, somehow, I found enough time to do my legion work, help supervise the juniors and became more active in parish activities and I am really enjoying it.
What everybody says is true, God through the Blessed Mother always shows us the way to devote more time to for Him. All you need to do is offer everything to God through our Mother.
I hope and pray that you find the time to become an active member again.
Base on my personal experience, there is an immeasurable feeling of joy knowing that you help make a bit of difference in peoples' lives with what you do through the Legion.

God Bless,
MariaAurea
Old Feb 20, '13, 8:13 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

Thanks Maria Aurea - the best people to recruit to the Legion are the ones who are busy. I'm glad your granddaughter is in the Legion. We need younger people to replace us.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Legion of Mary