Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 30, '12, 8:04 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Sexually immoral health material at a Catholic university

I work in an office that rents space in a Catholic university (perhaps "nominally Catholic" would be a more precise description). Today I had occasion to visit the clinic normally frequented by the students, which is right across the hallway from my office. In the waiting room there was a shelf full of informational literature about various health issues, including sexual abuse. There was also an info sheet entitled "Health Matters: Intercourse and Outercourse" that contained an explicit endorsement of such things as masturbation and oral and anal sex.

This material obviously doesn't belong in the student clinic of a Catholic school. My question is, should I do something to speak out about this, and if so how should I do it?
Old Jan 30, '12, 8:35 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Sexually immoral health material at a Catholic university

Yes. You definitely should speak out.

Write the president of the school, the head of the religious order (if it is a religious order school), AND the bishop of your diocese.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 30, '12, 9:49 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Yes, say something about it. You might go up the channel of authority - starting with whoever directs the center - and then go all the way up. I wouldn't bother the bishop just yet.

Just say, this material is contrary to authentic Catholic teaching on this matter, and is harmful to the faith and morals of Catholic students, and this is a Catholic university....
Old Jan 30, '12, 9:50 am

It is best to assume the good will of people at first. Maybe it was a mistake or something. Always act like you assume it was a mistake, so the person who made the decision to put it there can "save face." That makes the correction of it smoother.
Old Jan 30, '12, 11:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMartinTours View Post
I work in an office that rents space in a Catholic university (perhaps "nominally Catholic" would be a more precise description). Today I had occasion to visit the clinic normally frequented by the students, which is right across the hallway from my office. In the waiting room there was a shelf full of informational literature about various health issues, including sexual abuse. There was also an info sheet entitled "Health Matters: Intercourse and Outercourse" that contained an explicit endorsement of such things as masturbation and oral and anal sex.

This material obviously doesn't belong in the student clinic of a Catholic school. My question is, should I do something to speak out about this, and if so how should I do it?
Just a note before you go reporting this material:

Mutual masturbation, oral sex, and anal sex are NOT against Catholic teaching when performed as foreplay to marital intercourse.
Old Jan 30, '12, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post

Mutual masturbation, oral sex, and anal sex are NOT against Catholic teaching when performed as foreplay to marital intercourse.
We need different words for these things lol. As foreplay they should be called oral stimulation, manual stimulation, and anal stimulation or something to that effect. When someone says "sex" it implies they are referring to the completed act. That said it is highly likely the material is referring to what most people think of when they think of oral sex.
Old Jan 30, '12, 12:50 pm

Religion: Industrial Strength Catholic

Suggestion: Take several "information sheets" for evidence, to attach to your letters of concern to those in positions of authority. Were it me, I would remove the offending papers entirely. I would not wait -- I would notify the bishop immediately. The administration has to know this stuff is there. This is a serious situation which cannot wait. Souls are in danger.

Send the "information sheet" also to the Cardinal Newman Society. They monitor Catholic colleges and universities for orthodoxy and publish a list of real Catholic institutions for parents who don't want to pay for their offspring's education at one that is Catholic-in-name-only. They also monitor these institutions for other violations of Catholic teaching and morality. Recently they referred a Jesuit university to the Bishop of Scranton, PA for inviting a pro-abortion speaker to their campus and have refused to rescind the invitation in defiance of the Bishop's request.

http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org/
And this one thing is certain . . . the Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If there ever were a safe truth, it is this . . . To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant. ~ Blessed John Henry Newman, former Anglican clergyman, Catholic convert, and soon-to-be saint
Old Jan 30, '12, 12:53 pm

Religion: Industrial Strength Catholic

Quote:

Assuming the couple is married. Students usually aren't.
And this one thing is certain . . . the Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If there ever were a safe truth, it is this . . . To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant. ~ Blessed John Henry Newman, former Anglican clergyman, Catholic convert, and soon-to-be saint
Old Jan 30, '12, 12:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Assuming the couple is married. Students usually aren't.
I was only stressing the fact that such things mentioned are not intrinsically evil, in case someone who doesn't know any better comes across this thread and thinks we're all nuts. In the right time and place, there is nothing wrong with those acts.

And besides, if you read my comment thoroughly you will see that I specifically said "as foreplay to marital intercourse."

Last edited by Debora123; Jan 30, '12 at 1:12 pm.
Old Jan 30, '12, 2:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Really???

I sure didn't know that. As far as oral sex goes, it is allowed as long as finishs with intercourse. But I have never heard of anal sex or mutual masturbation. I believe I heard here on the forums that anal sex is forbidden since it is sodomy.

But I'm guessing that if they are allowed as long as the husband finishes with intercourse and still respects the dignity of his wife while doing these acts, then ok I guess. More power to them.
Old Jan 30, '12, 2:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art321 View Post
Really???

I sure didn't know that. As far as oral sex goes, it is allowed as long as finishs with intercourse. But I have never heard of anal sex or mutual masturbation. I believe I heard here on the forums that anal sex is forbidden since it is sodomy.

But I'm guessing that if they are allowed as long as the husband finishes with intercourse and still respects the dignity of his wife while doing these acts, then ok I guess. More power to them.
Yes sir!

(It is not considered "sodomy" if it doesn't finish in the anus)
Old Jan 30, '12, 2:13 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Yes sir!

(It is not considered "sodomy" if it doesn't finish in the anus)
Um. Really?
Old Jan 30, '12, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by domandcarols View Post
Um. Really?
It would depend on who you talk to because has had a lot of different meanings and inclusiveness over time. In all honesty I see very little justification for practicing such acts and in my opinion the couple that deems it necessary to perform these acts has some serious issues they need to work out if things have come to the point where they feel they need to try anal sex to spice things up. There are some health concerns that also need to be addressed as well. Just because it may be alright according to the letter of the law, does not make it the right course of action.
Old Jan 30, '12, 7:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by domandcarols View Post
Um. Really?
Yes. The Church likes to have it's own little definition of things:

Quote:
I have a copy of Fr. Heribert Jone's "Moral Theology". This was one of the most common Pre-Vatican II Moral Theology text books: http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/20...bert-jone.html

It is set up as a confessional aid for priests, so it's indexed by sin or potential sin and describes any mitigating factors and how serious the sin is.

So when someone enters the confessional and confesses something, Father can just look it up and see how serious the sin is

There is a section on sodomy. Jone distinguishes between what is called 'perfect sodomy' and 'imperfect sodomy".

"Perfect Sodomy" is when it occurs between two members of the same sex or when the act results in the waste of seminal fluid. It is always gravely sinful.

"Imperfect Sodomy" is when neither of the above conditions are true.

Jone had this to to say about "Imperfect Sodomy"

"it is neither sodomy nor a sin if intercourse is begun in the rectal manner with the intention of completing it in the natural manner" (Jone "Moral Theology" 757)

So if one went into the confession in most of the Western World ( Jone was published in 8 languages), during the 1920's-1960's and confessed anal intercourse as a form of foreplay, the priest would either learned that it wasn't a sin during seminary, or looked it up in Jone's and send you on your merry way.
This may not be your cup of tea, and trust me, it isn't mine either. But it is not against Church teaching.
Old Jan 30, '12, 10:24 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Yes. The Church likes to have it's own little definition of things:

This may not be your cup of tea, and trust me, it isn't mine either. But it is not against Church teaching.

Isn't it disgusting to "finish" after it's been in the rectum?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology