Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 31, '12, 4:58 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to AHapka
Default Re: Is smoking in moderation OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
I think the OP has alerady spoken to his priest who said it was not as long as he kept it to moderation. He should follow the advice of his priest, who knows him IRL, and not that of random internet posters, who are discussing the health effects of smoking and not the question of sinfulness.
Not to mention the priest is his religious superior. And unless one of us happens to be his Bishop or the Pope, we have no standing compared to that.
Old Feb 1, '12, 8:03 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic

I think the risks associated with cigarette smoking can in no way justify anything close to frequent use. However, I do feel cigar and pipe smoking can be enjoyed sensibly. Moderation is the key - just ask these fine Brothers of the Leaf:

Old Feb 1, '12, 10:36 pm
Banned

Send a message via MSN to John21652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsheep88 View Post
I talked to my priest he said it was a grey area. Its not a sin but neither is it encouraged either.. As long as its in moderation.
I smoke.

So does my priest!

He feels the same way about it as I do.

There's nothing quite like a good meal, followed by a grand cup of coffee and a cigarette.
Old Feb 2, '12, 2:38 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21652 View Post
I smoke.

So does my priest!

He feels the same way about it as I do.

There's nothing quite like a good meal, followed by a grand cup of coffee and a cigarette.
There's nothing quite like telling your family you're dying because you chose to smoke, followed by a slow painful death - unable to breathe or get out of bed.
Old Feb 2, '12, 2:39 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassitus View Post
I think the risks associated with cigarette smoking can in no way justify anything close to frequent use. However, I do feel cigar and pipe smoking can be enjoyed sensibly. Moderation is the key - just ask these fine Brothers of the Leaf:
No such thing as being able to enjoy any tobacco product sensibly. All of them will damage you.
Old Feb 2, '12, 4:44 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
There's nothing quite like telling your family you're dying because you chose to smoke, followed by a slow painful death - unable to breathe or get out of bed.
Quote:
No such thing as being able to enjoy any tobacco product sensibly. All of them will damage you.
And in the maternalistic nanny state of England they ram this down your throat with legislation.
Old Feb 2, '12, 4:47 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
And in the maternalistic nanny state of England they ram this down your throat with legislation.
Which?

Do you mean the law that made it illegal to smoke in public places?

Myself and thousands of others campaigned for that law, so no one rammed anything. My health shouldn't suffer just because someone else decides to kill themself slowly. My aunt has asthma, and she was sometimes unable to even go to a local pub because people smoking inside could trigger her to have an attack. The law asserted her right to live the life she wanted, while smokers could smoke themselves to death if they want - but without dragging my aunt down with them.
Old Feb 2, '12, 5:07 am
Banned

Quote:
Which?

Do you mean the law that made it illegal to smoke in public places?

Myself and thousands of others campaigned for that law, so no one rammed anything. My health shouldn't suffer just because someone else decides to kill themself slowly. My aunt has asthma, and she was sometimes unable to even go to a local pub because people smoking inside could trigger her to have an attack. The law asserted her right to live the life she wanted, while smokers could smoke themselves to death if they want - but without dragging my aunt down with them.
Proved my point exactly.

Now English citizens complain they can hardly scratch themselves without permission from Occhealth!
Old Feb 2, '12, 5:51 am
Banned

I love the fact that in MN it is illegal to smoke inside any bar, restaurant, office building, school, etc. I love the fact that I can go out to dinner with my sons and none of us reek of smoke afterwords. I love the fact I can meet my friends at a bar for happy hour and not have to shed my clothes in the garage before coming into my house due to smoke. I love the fact I can board a plane and not have to breathe anyone's smoke.

If someone wants to smoke at their home, that is their private area....BUT dont smoke in a public area and make me breathe it as well.

I once had a contractor doing some work in my unfinished basement, and he stupidly thought he could smoke down there since it was "not in my house". He wondered aloud how I knew he was smoking when I was upstairs. Uh, heating and AC vents transport odors!

I fired him. If his judgment was that poor in choosing to smoke in my home, what other questionable things was he doing......?
Old Feb 2, '12, 6:01 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
I love the fact that in MN it is illegal to smoke inside any bar, restaurant, office building, school, etc. I love the fact that I can go out to dinner with my sons and none of us reek of smoke afterwords. I love the fact I can meet my friends at a bar for happy hour and not have to shed my clothes in the garage before coming into my house due to smoke. I love the fact I can board a plane and not have to breathe anyone's smoke.

If someone wants to smoke at their home, that is their private area....BUT dont smoke in a public area and make me breathe it as well.

I once had a contractor doing some work in my unfinished basement, and he stupidly thought he could smoke down there since it was "not in my house". He wondered aloud how I knew he was smoking when I was upstairs. Uh, heating and AC vents transport odors!

I fired him. If his judgment was that poor in choosing to smoke in my home, what other questionable things was he doing......?
I once stayed with a devout Mormon family in Salt Lake City. I'd never met them until I arrived there. Before my arrival, they must have done some homework and they went out and bought some coffee and an ashtray. I was mighty impressed. However, I chose not to smoke in their home, despite their insistence that it wouldn't bother them and I smoked outside. Simple manners and courtesy to match their wonderful tolerance and generosity.
Old Feb 2, '12, 6:03 am

Religion: mixed

The Bishop here said on the Catholic radio station that the Pope before John Paul enjoyed smoking. ??? I am a heavy smoker. I started when I was thirteen. It was a self-destructive or rebellious act. My parents found out and didn't tell me to stop. Later they said that I had "made a choice." (At 13? my parents are British. maybe it's different there.)

My mother brought me two cartons at a time at the state hospital, and I happily distributed them to all the other patients. She always bought them for me when asked after I became a disabled person in psychiatric treatment when I was 24. I learned to depend on them as my "friend" and lifeline. I heard one woman say (in a group therapy), "I just love to smoke." That's how I feel about it now. I have it back down to 1 1/2 packs a day. 10 cigarettes a day last summer. Four packs a day for four years when I became demented after a bout with three weeks without sleep after abruptly stopping my medication. (Long story.) I sat in a chair by an open window with a small fan, sipped large glasses of ice water, and smoked whenever I was awake, which was for about two hours on, two hours off, throughout the day and night. My 12-year-old had to go to boarding school. (It was a desperate situation. At first, I just couldn't wake up, all day, all night, then the pattern I described slowly developed, I couldn't make appointments as I never knew when I would be awake and when I would become suddenly uncontrollably drowsy.)

My history of smoking is long and complicated but does include a suicide pact at 17 that I would kill myself by smoking myself to death by the age of 35 (for real. My father tried to molest me.)

Now I have slight emphysema and a partial loss of sense of smell, I'm isolated by my smoking due to the current mores and laws about smoking, and I deal with all the unpleasant ("disgusting") aspects of it, and also suffered intolerably for years being completely unable to even think about quitting when trying to raise a small one. I just couldn't stop. Total mental block. Over time, I went through periods where I tried to quit daily and after two hours found myself on the way out the door to the supermarket to buy another pack without even knowing exactly how that had come about. And then I smoked more for awhile until things got normalized again.

My son had frequent ear infections. His pediatrician told me to smoke outside only again and again. I just couldn't stop. Now he smokes. He just turned 18 and smokes about a pack a day now that he can buy them.

My one argument FOR smoking is that it is a pleasure, which someone above adequately refuted ("like fornication.") Also, it helps to control anxiety. But in reality it probably produces the anxiety it relieves ("nic fits").

But my two former doctors both advised against trying to quit. I won't try to second-guess their reasoning except to say that it goes along with being a chronic psych patient. Psych meds, caffeine, and cigarettes mixed together form an impossibly powerful addiction.

SO. I reason through this with every cigarette I smoke, as has frequently been the case over time, except that now I reason through it with God. Is it okay to smoke, given that my son is now 18 and that I am now, with the Lord's help, able to moderate it better? I am learning that there are times when you just don't (smoke); that it clouds the reasoning, that it is disrespectful, that it tends towards idleness and we all know about that, and what about when I die? Do I want to be laying there on my deathbed wanting to get up for another smoke? I will just keep on praying for help, I really do want to be smoke-free. I did quit when I was pregnant, and then I quit for about a year when my son was 9, and nothing was better.

Which brings me back to the same question originally asked, is it okay to smoke now and again, if you CAN control it? Because once you've smoked you've discovered a pleasure, not like fornication, more like coffee--who needs coffee? I've noted that it is a particular pleasure of Christians including Catholics to enjoy a cup of coffee. Caffeine has been discribed as an "illusionistic drug." As with smoking, once you've enjoyed it, you want to enjoy it again. Taking away the addiction part of smoking, I would say that it's okay to enjoy a cigarette now and again if it is possible for you to stick to that, but warn that it does tend to be addictive, hard to quit for anyone, and that once you start it's hard to picture life without it.

I don't feel satisfied that it's been answered whether it is a sin or not. It comes from native American culture like tea in Britain came from China. Maybe that's a perspective to consider.
Old Feb 2, '12, 7:06 am
Banned

Quote:
Simple manners and courtesy
Courtesy and manners go far.

My BIL smokes, so when he comes over, he steps outside and away from any open windows to smoke. He puts the butt in a can and in my outside garbage recepticle.

My son brought some college friends over last fall. One was a smoker. He smoked outside, but he threw his butts IN MY GARDEN! I was so angry. I did not discover this until the next day when I went out to my garden, and I told my son that unless his friend learned some simple manners and courtesy about how to dispose of his cigarette trash, he was not welcome to smoke on my property, even outside in my yard. The next time he came over, he personally apologized and did not smoke while he was here.
Old Feb 2, '12, 10:16 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic

Quote:
I suppose we have differing opinions on the meaning of "sensible", as I strongly disagree with your first statement. It has been argued that regular consumption of Diet Pepsi "will damage you", but the occasional can is, in my opinion, of extremely limited risk, and therefore "sensible".
Old Feb 2, '12, 2:30 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassitus View Post
I suppose we have differing opinions on the meaning of "sensible", as I strongly disagree with your first statement. It has been argued that regular consumption of Diet Pepsi "will damage you", but the occasional can is, in my opinion, of extremely limited risk, and therefore "sensible".
Apart from the damage from tobacco is well documented and happens whether you have one or 50 cigarettes/pipes/cigars a day. So there is no sensible amount you can have as they are all dangerous.
Old Feb 2, '12, 2:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Apart from the damage from tobacco is well documented and happens whether you have one or 50 cigarettes/pipes/cigars a day. So there is no sensible amount you can have as they are all dangerous.
And you and your ilk believe in your opinions so much you ram them down other people's throats, thereby creating a maternalistic nanny state and overriding free will and the exercising of personal choice and good manners. In the process you created a bureaucracy to force people to behave in a certain way and the notion of instilling good manners into people has been circumvented and even made redundant by legislation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology