Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 31, '12, 6:54 am

Religion: Struggling Catholic
Default Re: Pedophile Gary Glitter could make hundreds of thousands from Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
I will not support corporations that support evil
Well you better turn off your computer. It was most likely made in China and we know what paragons of virtue they are.
Old Jan 31, '12, 10:51 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pedophile Gary Glitter could make hundreds of thousands from Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Sheep View Post
Well you better turn off your computer. It was most likely made in China and we know what paragons of virtue they are.
And it was made there because Dell, Apple, Sony, HP, Seagate, Intel, AMD, etc. all prefer to make stuff there because it's cheaper and people want cheap. Besides the average worker in China earns peanuts, has his small family and is basically a decent person. Glitter on the other hand, and he's paid his dues and is not molesting anyone anymore, wrote one song and now can live in luxury for the rest of his life on that one bit of inspiration, while the guys assembling the CD players used for playback will starve to death if they stop working or will get fired if they take too much time off for illness and starve to death. The system definitely needs reform and is unnaturally unjust the way it is.
Old Jan 31, '12, 11:00 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Agreed, Glitter was something of a British institution before his fall from grace. People would play his songs at office parties on Christmas and so forth. But now putting on one of his songs here would be a social blunder par excellence.
Old Jan 31, '12, 11:13 am

Even if they played Bach at the Super Bowl, should we still support the NFL? I mean, I've learned that not all of the players are married and monogamously faithful to their wives. GG would be just the tip of the iceberg.
Old Jan 31, '12, 11:54 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicBoy1957 View Post
Even if they played Bach at the Super Bowl, should we still support the NFL? I mean, I've learned that not all of the players are married and monogamously faithful to their wives. GG would be just the tip of the iceberg.

Players not being married is fine. We were all not married once.

Infidelity, while commonplace by all accounts, also occurs in every industry ever created, like, ever.

You'd be hard pressed to find an institution or corporation made up of people that didn't have tons of rampant sins.
Old Jan 31, '12, 11:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post
Players not being married is fine. We were all not married once.

Infidelity, while commonplace by all accounts, also occurs in every industry ever created, like, ever.

You'd be hard pressed to find an institution or corporation made up of people that didn't have tons of rampant sins.
Including our own Church, which of course to borrow the infamous and oft-used line here is, 'a hospital for sinners and not a museum for saints'.
Old Jan 31, '12, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Including our own Church, which of course to borrow the infamous and oft-used line here is, 'a hospital for sinners and not a museum for saints'.
True, the difference being the moral requirement to attend Mass and being a practicing Catholic, regardless of mistakes made men and women in the Church. There is no such requirement for me in any corporation or sport.
Old Jan 31, '12, 1:42 pm

I just went to youtube, and watched Rock and Roll Part ii, and Elton John, back to back. Maybe I'll even go to a local restaurant with TV this Sunday, and watch a little Super Bowl.

I remember having a moral dilemma many years ago, when I asked myself how I could work where I was working, because they had several homosexuals there. Then it dawned on me, that there were many whores and whore-mongers there also. Then this verse came to me:

Quote:
9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.
http://niv.scripturetext.com/1_corinthians/5.htm
Old Jan 31, '12, 4:46 pm
Banned

I just trying to say the NFL could have chosen a different day—when they first started playing pro-sports on Sunday Catholic Bishops were against it they knew all this was going to do is more people getting drunk on the Lord’s Day.

When I get out of Mass I almost get run over in the parking lot people trying to rush home to watch a game.
Old Jan 31, '12, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
I just trying to say the NFL could have chosen a different day—when they first started playing pro-sports on Sunday Catholic Bishops were against it they knew all this was going to do is more people getting drunk on the Lord’s Day.

When I get out of Mass I almost get run over in the parking lot people trying to rush home to watch a game.

I can tell any stat you want to know about the Ravens, and follow them with a passion, and still I cringe at the number of Ravens jerseys I see at Mass. Not appropriate, IMO.
Old Jan 31, '12, 5:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post
I can tell any stat you want to know about the Ravens, and follow them with a passion, and still I cringe at the number of Ravens jerseys I see at Mass. Not appropriate, IMO.
Old Feb 2, '12, 7:05 pm
Forum Elder

The song by the controversial musician will not be played at the Super Bowl

Quote:
The [Daily Mail ] reported Monday that the New England Patriots' touchdown-celebration song -- likely to be played several times this Sunday -- could bring disgraced 1970s glam rocker Gary Glitter "hundreds of thousands of pounds" in royalties.

That's because, the newspaper reported, Glitter (real name Paul Gadd) composed the 1972 sports/rock anthem "Rock and Roll Part II" that is the "theme song" of the Patriots.
Quote:
One problem: The Patriots haven't used the song for years, either the original by Glitter or any cover version.

For several seasons, the Patriots have played Bon Jovi's "This is Our House" after TDs at Gillette Stadium, says Jeff Cournoyer, the team's director of corporate communications.
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7529421

The NFL's VP for Communications has confirmed that the song will not be played at the Super Bowl and that the Daily Mail's story was bogus.
Old Feb 5, '12, 10:26 pm

Being a fan of this song and knowing a bit about its origin, I thought I should point out a few things:

1) regarding the actual composition of the song, Glitter only wrote the "hey" chant in "Rock 'n' Roll Part 2" (the one we all know of here in the US) as well as the actual lyrics in "Rock 'n' Roll Part 1" (which was the original UK hit). The bulk of the credit for the song itself goes to it's co-writer and producer, Mike Leander, who originally recorded the instrumental part of the song purely for fun while waiting for an artist he was producing (David Essex IIRC) to show up to a session. It was originally 15 minutes long, but, after being introduced to Glitter, they trimmed it down to the 2 3 minute parts "1" (the A-side) and "2" (the B-side).

2) the NFL banning (or whatever) the original version of the song and using a cover version instead is completely pointless since Glitter would still get the royalty check since he is officially credited as a co-writer.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News