Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 27, '12, 5:02 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it wrong to pray for a miracle with finances?

Of course you can pray for your finances. God wants you to discuss everything with him and he wants you to rely on him for everything.

Also, ask Mary for her intercession.
Old Jan 28, '12, 9:36 am

I pray about my finances all the time. I find that it really works. For instance, we thought we wouldn't make ends meet this last Christmas because we didn't manage to save enough for December's extra expenses. However, I got two gift cards from work that really helped. We used them for groceries to offset our other expenses. A few months ago when we were having trouble making ends meet my husband's grandmother (who didn't even know that we were having these issues) just randomly decided to give my husband $1000 because she just felt like helping the newlyweds out. That money made a HUGE difference. I have found that when I pray about our finances and ask God to help things just have a nice way of coming together. Somehow we make it to the end of the month every time. (With 40 cents to spare in the case of December!) We had certain budget goals for that month so that we could go through December on cash only without tapping into our emergency fund. I don't know how we did it, but when we looked at our excel spreadsheet we did it!

My grandmother and my husband's grandmother are both very good examples of how to handle money. They both lived below their means for many years in order to build up a stable financial life. Now, they are both able to live very comfortably and help people. Whether it is randomly helping us out after the wedding (like my husband's grandmother did) or helping with the wedding expenses recently like my grandmother did, they are both very good examples of what to aspire to. I pray that my husband and I can get to a point in life where we can randomly help people with their finances without expecting anything to be paid back.

When we were getting wedding presents we were very surprised by the generosity of not just the people we know, but even people that we do not know very well. My mom has a coworker that I know of because I have met her once or twice and my mom is good friends with her, but we don't know each other well. She couldn't make it to the wedding but she sent us a $100 gift card to Target that we used to buy a vacuum cleaner and some other things to set up our apartment. That is just one example of the many generous things that people did for us. We want to get to a point where we can do that for others as well.

Remember that finances are a tool. Money is neither good nor bad. It is how you use it that makes the difference. If you pray that you get enough of the right tools to meet your needs wile also leaving room to help with the needs of others I think that is a great thing that God wants to hear.
Old Feb 6, '12, 7:20 pm

Pray, and also move your feet. God helps those who help themselves.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014