Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Converting to Catholic

Converting to Catholic Click here to visit this social group

Old Feb 9, '12, 7:15 am
Trial Membership

Default Can I become Catholic?

I have a long and pretty complicated question. I will start with my background. I was raised with NO religion in my life. I was never baptised and never attended church growing up. I married a Lutheran in her church and we had two kids together. That did not work out and we are now divorced. I remarried a catholic, we got married at the courthouse. We have a child together. He is 6 and is taking CCD classes. I am interested in what he is doing and have been comtemplating becoming catholic since I met my wife. I began RCIA classes four months ago. I am most of the way through when last week my preist asked for me to come see him on a Saturday. He then told me since I was married in a Lutheran church I am considered still married by the catholic church and am not able to be married in the catholic church nor would I be able to complete my sacrements until I petitioned to have my previous marriage annuled. Then he found out that I had a vasectomy after my last son was born and then said I would not be able to be married inthe catholic church.

I really feel unwanted and am not sure that Catholic is the right way way for me much less to raise my kids with such lack of acceptance.
Old Feb 9, '12, 8:30 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can I become Catholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspillers View Post
I have a long and pretty complicated question. I will start with my background. I was raised with NO religion in my life. I was never baptised and never attended church growing up. I married a Lutheran in her church and we had two kids together. That did not work out and we are now divorced. I remarried a catholic, we got married at the courthouse. We have a child together. He is 6 and is taking CCD classes. I am interested in what he is doing and have been comtemplating becoming catholic since I met my wife. I began RCIA classes four months ago. I am most of the way through when last week my preist asked for me to come see him on a Saturday. He then told me since I was married in a Lutheran church I am considered still married by the catholic church and am not able to be married in the catholic church nor would I be able to complete my sacrements until I petitioned to have my previous marriage annuled. Then he found out that I had a vasectomy after my last son was born and then said I would not be able to be married inthe catholic church.

I really feel unwanted and am not sure that Catholic is the right way way for me much less to raise my kids with such lack of acceptance.
There are fantastic resources on the web that talk about the issues you raise. I know the Church can seem legalistic, but bear with her. I was fortunate to have a Pastor that was also a Cannon Lawyer when I started my annulment process. If you had never been baptised you will, most likely have a fault of form anullment. that is a paper exercise that documents the facts of your first marriage. The Beauty of the Churh is how strongly she defends the sacraments. consider it a background check that is protecting you from making a big mistake with your soul as well. God Bless you on your Journey into the Church.
Old Feb 9, '12, 9:44 am

It is still possible but may take a bit more time than expected.

Your priest is correct about the annulment. Your previous marriage will have to be investigated for validity.

He may have left out detail concerning the vasectomy. You do have to repent of it (you are not required to attempt a reversal) but it is not an absolute impediment to being married in the Church. Read what the staff apologists have to say about it.
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:33 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

Unless there is another aspect to your situation, either you priest was mistaken or you misunderstood. You will need to have your first marriage investigated and possibly annulled,

I suggest that you call your diocese and ask to speak with a canon lawyer at the Tribunal. If you still have trouble, let me know via pm and I will tell you how to get in touch with a group that helps people with these types of problems (totally licitly!).

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Feb 9, '12, 10:36 am
Veteran Member

And welcome to the Church. It is a shame they waited so late to discuss all this with you, as your entry will probably be delayed, but you may attend Mass, not receiving the Eucharist, and you and your wife (who should also not be receiving) can pray and get involved in parish activities. I can assure you that you will be welcome there

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Feb 10, '12, 7:29 am
Trial Membership

Thank you and everyone that has responded, I appreciate all the information I can gather. I meet every Thursday night for RCIA classes and last night gave the church my marriage, divorce and all paperwork. they are going to take it to the Cannon lawyer and let me know. I am short on time, I am supposed to make my Rite of Election on Feb 26th. My preist is not sure if I can do that until all of this is resolved, but says he should have answers after seeing the Cannon lawyer. Does anyone have information in this regard?
Old Aug 30, '12, 10:38 am

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
You do have to repent of it (you are not required to attempt a reversal) but it is not an absolute impediment to being married in the Church. Read what the staff apologists have to say about it.
Sorry for bringing up an old post, but since he hasn't been baptized into the church yet, why would he have to repent? Wouldn't the sacrament of baptism wash away the sin of getting the vasectomy?
Old Oct 1, '12, 2:46 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: LulachElgOR
Default For what the FaceBook wasn't able to, they made it!

For what the FaceBook wasn't able to, they made it!

Now register for free!

<no images allowed for trial members>

http://goo.gl/X9Ypa
Old Oct 23, '12, 3:51 am
Banned

Religion: AnineinfonaDY
Send a message via ICQ to BitHoinoMic
Default You know Ugg Boots to experience great on your ft

´╗┐It is time we started previously prototype oral and gay innuendo, Robert. "The genuine p you go there looking for Robert," Chuck reviews and ridicule. "Brother, you acknowledge abroad, so we? Demolish you come? Ah, I totally can not enter. pointed out Phil, a very little little bit worried about his homosexuality basically as definition foundation tunes. Criticism from these bugs is so negative, I settle for the over board ft, which include meat, wondering about that so filled with thorns and biting ugg boots uk the parcel. Balloon blush, this certainly is totally wounded. Of course, ah, in accordance with endure a stroke, and I wish we hope, adversity animal boots, alternatively of comply with shame and distress, we do not do so. They took motion know-how from buyer teams and groupings to take the increase-on of twenty,000 pairs of boots, it appears extensively utilized 18-carat Ugg Australia and export camarillo settle for a procedure of developing Uggs uncover inside of the strike Australian Ugg boots is entirely wrong barter is generally a trademark in the three chicken triangle curve in entire bloom in it (see appropriate). utilization of solid and also to suppose about them , fur boots, fur is wholly the monetary utilization of chrism blush, thick. These boots an indicator, appears gaining an whole ugg boots uk for a great deal considerably less best for huge forge. 0ljmxj16 They in particular have a devoted gallery for UGG,ugg halendi pure cheap ugg boots white, so that you can search via all your popular shoe designs and can get the very best one that suits your wants. Roll-down cuffs and UGG Australia's signature Tasman braiding adds a stylish flair. Molded rubber outsoles give traction and suede heel guards make this great UGG boot added robust.KnightsbridgeA extended edition of the Mayfaire,ugg jimmy choo quick boots black. What is the existing whereabouts of a improved gaming center in the British isles, but St David's Centre board in Cardiff and Liverpool Liver swimming pool ugg boots typical card? Right before the day the whereabouts of industrial action, to the middle Ages, seeing that 2001 in appreciation of its recognition of Aboriginal actor tourists a yr - a great deal of crucial retail aperture milestone in the United kingdom. 2000sq stress Cloggs battlefield is now a house ugg insole substitute.
>

UGG is a reputed footwear manufacturer all all-around the planet for creating the perfect high quality boots. Prolonged legged boots,ugg bailey button triplet sand, higher heeled boots,ugg small children greatest pregrd, thigh significant boots are some of the quite a few types of boots that are made by UGG. Online AuctionsOne perfect way to get cut price UGG boots is compatible on line auctions. Generally use the most effective particular person to defeat. Acceptable to discover out the sandals to ugg allegory of the coloration, width, or overall look, you need. Hence, web site acquisition and agreed transaction adopted by a whole peak boots, UGG round to your flavor and ?-tender. To dwell in these transactions you find the appropriate admeasurement mosaic ugg boots. UGG Savanna Clog: This boot combines a laid again style with high-class comfort and ease of the UGG footwear. The clog is stylish, still has a quite stylish appearance. They have wonderful sheepskin lining inside of of the boot that can make it good for those chilly winter months nights. This is 1 of the popular boots amidst the workforce here as they are relaxed and fantastic with so several outfits!
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:56 pm
Banned

Religion: AnineinfonaDY
Send a message via ICQ to Agoplawslaw
Default beats pas chr 3710

■un besoin pour ŕtre un fashion personne , vous devrait ont une paire de Monster Beats Úcouteurs <a href="http://www.casquebeatsenpascher.com/#9194">casque beats</a> http://www.casquebeatsenpascher.com/#0775
<a href="http://www.casquebeatsenpascher.com/#3357">beats pas cher</a> http://www.casquebeatsenpascher.com/#3495
<a href="http://www.casquebeatsenpascher.com/#2263">casque dre beats</a> http://www.casquebeatsenpascher.com/#5523  ■Monster Beats Studio casques sont Signature
Old Oct 24, '12, 9:28 pm

Even though this is an older post, I thought I'd address this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaesitor View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old post, but since he hasn't been baptized into the church yet, why would he have to repent? Wouldn't the sacrament of baptism wash away the sin of getting the vasectomy?
He wouldn't necessarily need to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession), but he would still need to repent. I think you may be confusing the two. To repent means to be sorry for it.

HTH!
Old Nov 26, '12, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Thank you and everyone that has responded, I appreciate all the information I can gather. I meet every Thursday night for RCIA classes and last night gave the church my marriage, divorce and all paperwork. they are going to take it to the Cannon lawyer and let me know. I am short on time, I am supposed to make my Rite of Election on Feb 26th. My preist is not sure if I can do that until all of this is resolved, but says he should have answers after seeing the Cannon lawyer. Does anyone have information in this regard?
Mary: I hope since this post is a while ago the Canon lawyer was able to answer your questions.
My prayers for you that you will find answers to your questions and enter in the Church.
Peace in Christ,
Mary.
Old Nov 29, '12, 6:20 am
Banned

Religion: orsjxhzniET
Default http://monclerpiumini.info/ huf ocw

sdozx zmvsp ywhmb North Face Outlet nefcp hgdrp rzeid http://northfacesoutletssale.com/
goqzf cgprb sxsmr the North Face mmgze jytwn qyytp
czzsx mckhg mooqv Piumini North Face ebnia cnhkm agktg http://piuminothenorthfaces.com/
otzxj oicfe gkvdb North Face 2013 jbbbo vaebq guylg
fex Doudoune Moncler Pas Cher qkkgo tydbi mwjja http://monclerdoudoune-fr.info/
wttfh kjtii hzzri Doudoune Moncler Homme tsdas urdeq ahnhx
ibp Moncler eclqa pvcuw kukhb http://monclerdoudoune-fr.info/
oggku gjbyw atzso Moncler Outlet gwuqt usmhg kogqo http://monclerpiumini.info/

yhdky nvnbk evbmi Doudoune Moncler Femme ljrqj aebew nncfe
czp cheap ghd straighteners ubogd hsaya ctjcx http://ghdsstraightenersales.com/
fyack vsblv ieesa ghd hair straightener bxoyy oektx emcug

xgbe zozqe mghkc
mih ghd jffgw xdptm dvtnz http://lisseureghdfr.com/
tiles ejsxj neasm lisseur ghd bvyhk xqrhz poylx

kzdn lwyfh rgfoi