Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 12, '12, 8:04 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default White House Defends Contraception Mandate on Sunday Shows

White House Chief of Staff Jacob Lew defended the president’s compromise plan on mandated insurance coverage of contraceptives in multiple appearances on Sunday talk shows.

From his comments, it was unclear whether the White House was trying to end the controversy or keep it front and center in the national conversation. Either way, Lew stood by President Barack Obama’s compromise.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/white_h...1.html?pos=hln

WH is digging in
Old Feb 12, '12, 8:53 am
Book Club Member

Default Re: White House Defends Contraception Mandate on Sunday Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post
White House Chief of Staff Jacob Lew defended the president’s compromise plan on mandated insurance coverage of contraceptives in multiple appearances on Sunday talk shows.

From his comments, it was unclear whether the White House was trying to end the controversy or keep it front and center in the national conversation. Either way, Lew stood by President Barack Obama’s compromise.

WH is digging in
No surprise there but as noted still some 'wiggle room.' I hope and pray this mandate goes the way of promises to close GITMO and other presidential edicts.

The WH must think we are just idiots. Like Pontius Pilate we can 'wash our hands' of the involvement with providing sterilization, abortofacients and ABC by passing the dirty deed off to the insurance companies. The Bishops thank heavens have called them out.

I think that legislative action is the only way to protect our rights. We've all seen how credible various WH executive orders have been....Bart Stupak among others learned the hard way

Lisa
Old Feb 12, '12, 9:17 am
Forum Master

According to the USCCB, the compromise falls short in that it will still mandate that self-insurers, such as Catholic hospitals, will have to pay for ABC, sterilizations and abortificients.

Also, from talk shows this morning, the health insurance companies themselves are pushing back in that they will have to pay for contraceptives that their customers desire.

They're not about to provide free birth control pills without getting paid and that will come in the form of charging everyone more for their premiums, thereby making Catholics who believe ABC to be immoral, to pay for those who want them.

The other problem for the administration also is, many women are prescribed birth control pills for medical treatment. How will insurance companies cover this aspect?

Jim
Old Feb 12, '12, 9:26 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

They can defend it all they like - it is not going to stop the Bishops urging legislative action, it is not going to stop the 5 lawsuits against the HHS mandate from going forward, it isn't going to stop the likely loss of votes for Obama come November because of this religious liberty issue.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:11 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:

WH is digging in
However the WH handles this mess, the President has made a grave error in thinking the general public (Catholics and non-Catholics) would not notice or keep silent about this infringement on religious liberty. It will cost him votes, maybe even the election in the fall, provided the Republicans can get their act together. Otherwise, I can envision many people simply not voting for any candidate.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:53 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

WH is digging in
Support S 1467 which will reverse the mandate. Call and write your Senators to support this bill. Link below to the bill; why has it been stalled for 9 months?

S 1467
-- Douay Rheims, Jeremiah 29:11
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:59 am

Quote:

WH is digging in
It was NOT a balanced approach, despite the claim by the WH.

It still forced the Catholic run organizations to provide the something under their named insurance policies -- and forced the insurance companies to provide it free.

It's not about cost -- it was NEVER about cost -- it's about freedom of conscience for religious institutions to not provide something that goes against religious doctrine and teachings.
-- Douay Rheims, Jeremiah 29:11
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:07 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
According to the USCCB, the compromise falls short in that it will still mandate that self-insurers, such as Catholic hospitals, will have to pay for ABC, sterilizations and abortificients.

Also, from talk shows this morning, the health insurance companies themselves are pushing back in that they will have to pay for contraceptives that their customers desire.

They're not about to provide free birth control pills without getting paid and that will come in the form of charging everyone more for their premiums, thereby making Catholics who believe ABC to be immoral, to pay for those who want them.

The other problem for the administration also is, many women are prescribed birth control pills for medical treatment. How will insurance companies cover this aspect?

Jim
In this case there are NO third parties. So taxpayers will pay one way or other. Like anything else this administration has put forward it is just a shell game. If they don't get what they want one way, they'll try another way unless the voters put them all out on the street next November!
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:15 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
In this case there are NO third parties. So taxpayers will pay one way or other. Like anything else this administration has put forward it is just a shell game. If they don't get what they want one way, they'll try another way unless the voters put them all out on the street next November!
This whole shell game approach reminds me of the same baloney foisted upon us by Planned Parenthood to protect their government money. No money for abortions they claim! OTOH since money is fungible it is impossible to trace that government dollar to a specific use. Further by paying for other supposed services by PP, the government allows them to allocate other funds for their real mission and that is providing abortions.

The Eugenic nature of both arguments is rather frightening. We (People of Life) should have stepped in much sooner. As has been noted, the Bishops for the most part were positive about Obamacare. This simply denotes ignorance on their part regarding the actual objectives of the Secular Left. They, unlike our Church and other faith based organizations do not care about the poor, the sick or the disenfranchised or they wouldn't be so complicit in creating more of them with their policies. They are also too blind to see that what they are doing has made things worse. Education is sadly needed on both sides of the discussion.

Lisa
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:17 am
Senior Greeter
Book Club Member

Quote:

WH is digging in
They want to keep it front and center....there is something else behind their backs!!
Time will tell !!
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:18 am

The Mandate is Constitutional if they can show a "compelling government interest" in requiring the coverage of contraception. However, the Constitutionality of something is not the only test. There are preexisting federal laws that need to be followed as well. Federal law requires more than simple "compelling government interest" when burdening religious institutions. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 requires the compelling interest of the government and that the law/regulation "is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest."

While the RFRA was struck down as applied to local and state governments, the USCC did uphold it as constitutional when applied to federal issues. Thus this double requirement is directly applicable to the HHS mandate.

I'm not sure how the White House is going to convince the courts that this HHS Mandate meets the RFRA.
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:25 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
This whole shell game approach reminds me of the same baloney foisted upon us by Planned Parenthood to protect their government money. No money for abortions they claim! OTOH since money is fungible it is impossible to trace that government dollar to a specific use. Further by paying for other supposed services by PP, the government allows them to allocate other funds for their real mission and that is providing abortions.

The Eugenic nature of both arguments is rather frightening. We (People of Life) should have stepped in much sooner. As has been noted, the Bishops for the most part were positive about Obamacare. This simply denotes ignorance on their part regarding the actual objectives of the Secular Left. They, unlike our Church and other faith based organizations do not care about the poor, the sick or the disenfranchised or they wouldn't be so complicit in creating more of them with their policies. They are also too blind to see that what they are doing has made things worse. Education is sadly needed on both sides of the discussion.

Lisa
I have to confess to my shame that I voted for Obama in 2008, largely because I watched the final episode of the tv series "The Gilmore Girls" The daughter, Rory, graduated from college with a degree in Journalism. And her first job was to follow Barak Obama on his campaign for the office of President. One of the characters said "Barak Obama, the NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!" Plus I thought it would be neat to have an African American President. I was uninformed of what he stood for at the time. ( Would you all like to take me out back and beat the snot out of me now or later?)
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:25 am
Senior Greeter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaA View Post

Lisa

There are folks of deep spiritual wisdom within the Church and I am quite certain they are using this opportunity to advise the Bishops!
Keep praying!!
Old Feb 12, '12, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
I have to confess to my shame that I voted for Obama in 2008, largely because I watched the final episode of the tv series "The Gilmore Girls" The daughter, Rory, graduated from college with a degree in Journalism. And her first job was to follow Barak Obama on his campaign for the office of President. One of the characters said "Barak Obama, the NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!" Plus I thought it would be neat to have an African American President. I was uninformed of what he stood for at the time. ( Would you all like to take me out back and beat the snot out of me now or later?)
You are not alone.....a lot of people got caught up in the hype for Obama. He was a rock star! Much of the media was enamored with him as well....they still are. He can do nothing wrong with the main stream media and if they do know something, they keep quiet, they won't report on it. But, this is a lesson that I hope would be learned by everyone that got caught up.......just because someone is a "rock star" does NOT MEAN they would make a good President. Hitler was charismatic as well.....people loved him! And....look what he did. I would hope that more than a few people would learn to deeply investigate before voting. But no, we're not going to beat the snot out of you, now or later.......we'll forgive you and besides, you've already learned your lesson.
Old Feb 12, '12, 12:44 pm

Those Sunday morning propaganda sessions have become so predictably stilted toward the far-left that whenever the President wants to saturate the airwaves with his message he simply has to snap his fingers and someone like Rahm Emanuel, or now, Jacob Lew, show up in studio and basically orchestrate the entire program.

That these characters lack broad appeal, or any sense of mass credibility, makes no difference. They are projected as authoratative figures, and their message is sold as if it were another marketed product. Slick and insincere, but effective.

Sunday morning "news" programs have become nothing more than "State Controlled Media". It is reprehensible, but there is great power behind it. In times like these it seems that active dissent is almost a civic responsibility (and a moral imperative).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News