Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Rosary Makers

Rosary Makers Click here to visit this social group

Old Feb 12, '12, 1:59 am
Observing Member

Religion: none (former Catholic)
Default Re: Anybody here anymore?

Greetings!

I'm beginning to do something adventurous: I'm starting to make my own rosary components.

It all began when I started to get requests for saints for which there aren't any rosary centers commonly available (except, perhaps, for those expensive sterling silver and gold centers). So, after examining a few color centers to get the idea, I purchased a piece of nickel silver (subsequently I've been using copper, which is easier to work with). I sawed myself a blank center, had a public domain image printed on quality paper at Fedex office, cut out the image, and (after many not so successful attempts) made an epoxy dome over the image using Ice Resin.

That center was destined for a commercial Pardon crucifix, but my next made-from-scratch rosary (of a beatified founder of a teaching order, for one of my relatives who is a teacher) was made of copper, and I had to make the crucifix. I made a stylized corpus out of brass and copper wire, fused the corpus together, and then braised the corpus to a cross cut of 20ga copper sheet. To make sure the crucifix and the center aged at the same rate (since copper does develop a patina), I coated the crucifix (and the back of the center, on which I had stamped with metal letter stamps the words "Pray for us") with a thin layer of Ice Resin to seal it. Since I wasn't happy with any of the copper chain I saw available, I also made the chain (making chain from wire is easy. It's just tedious.)

My current project (the first made-from-scratch not for someone in particular, but simply because I want to make it) is a copper and malachite Saint Alphonsus Liguori rosary. That's because my rosary making ability is a temporary gift -- like St. Alphonsus I have arthritis, I'm in a wheelchair, and I have no idea how long my hands will hold up to this (I have "swans neck" finger deformities, and I tore a sagittal band two years ago making wire rosaries. If I tear it again, it may be The End for any of this). And, though I don't believe any of the copper heals arthritis and malachite is a healing crystal hokum, I have a fondness for symbolism like that, in the same way I appreciate other traditional associations and mythologies, like birthstones. In the planning stages, also, is a copper rosary of "my guy", Saint Dunstan (patron of metalworkers). Until I made myself a new bench with a storage hutch about a year ago, a picture of "my guy" stood watch above my workbench.

Anyone who wants to get adventurous, but not quite so adventurous, can get center blanks from St Joseph's Mail Order rosary supply (listed in their menu under "DIY blanks"). These blanks have a rim and so are easier to dome with resin, and some of their blanks come with stick-on domes (making it very easy to make one's own center). They have corpuses, too, to turn a plain cross into a rosary crucifix (wood is an obvious option, but I've gotten nice results gluing corpuses to gemstone crosses matching the beads used in a rosary)
Old Feb 12, '12, 1:58 pm

Religion: Catholic

That's dedication. Takes real skill. I don't think I could do that. I got a wire kit and am having issues making the chain links.
"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
Old Feb 13, '12, 5:04 am

Oldoak,

I agree with Mjsanta08, I don't have the skill to do what you are doing!

This summer I am going to try to make rosary beads out of actual roses. Has anyone ever tried this? You pretty much pulverize the flowers after they dry, and with water, make a paste similar to play dough, and shape them into beads. Then when they dry they become hard, and can be used for the rosary. My father had a rosary made from the roses of his mother's funeral, and although that was over 50 years ago, they still smell to this day!

Peace!
Old Jul 13, '12, 1:00 pm

JMJ
I still have not figured out how post my pictures here, but I was able to post them to another site. If you guys have heard of www.awestruckglobal.com. Its free and kind of like facebook, for Catholics. I created a rosary makers group there and uploaded some photos of my rosaries to it.

Mike
"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Rosary Makers