Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Is Identifying As Gay Getting a "Cool Factor" About It?
Yes, very much so 33 29.20%
Somewhat 36 31.86%
Not sure, never really thought about it 2 1.77%
No, gays still face much negative judgment 23 20.35%
This is crazy, there is no cool factor at all 19 16.81%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Feb 14, '12, 2:28 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Default Is There Getting To Be a "Cool Factor" To Being Gay - Especially Among the Young?

A huge can of worms to open, I realize. But I am so curious and would like feedback.

It seems that with all the celebrities "coming out" very openly, and the GLBT support groups on high school and college campuses, there could be kids who are prematurely ID'ing as "gay" when it's normal to occasionally have a passing same-sex attraction. Then they might start feeding this attraction and it would grow.

I'm not negating in any way that there are those who have felt SSA from early ages, nor failing to acknowledge that bullying of anyone is just plain wrong. So these advocacy groups and the celebrities in one way are doing at least a little good even if their members' and sympathizers' choices are objectively immoral. But some children are getting indoctrinated to be really pro-GLBT when they are too young to consider the moral implications.

Think "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" - there is sort of a cool factor - I know stereotyping is not a great thing, but gay men seem to have that aesthetic sense in a higher proportion than do straight men. And sometimes gay men are great friends for single women.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this. Maybe that it's sad that people with non-heterosexual orientations may have unique gifts to offer everyone, and that those are getting lost in the militant way many are attempting to force the no-holds-barred political agendas of recent years? Which seems to put up a barrier where one didn't exist before. I realize this is all very thorny stuff...confusing...a veritable minefield
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:33 pm

Religion: Catholic - Somewhere between Roman and Ruthenian
Default Re: Is There Getting To Be a "Cool Factor" To Being Gay - Especially Among the Young?

Not at all. On the whole, there is still a very negative social stigma and it's hard for people to deal with.
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:36 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Is There Getting To Be a "Cool Factor" To Being Gay - Especially Among the Young?

But don't some of the well-known and very openly gay public figures seem to be popular partly because of their gayness? Or at least because it's PC to be "supportive"?
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:37 pm

Religion: Catholic

o, there is no such a social dynamic. But for some people there are snakes under every rock and predators around every circle so. . . . . I guess this type of mentality must make life more exciting in a way.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:40 pm

Generally, I would say the bulk of the reactions are still on the negative side, but the circles where reactions are positive are getting larger.
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:41 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
Generally, I would say the bulk of the reactions are still on the negative side, but the circles where reactions are positive are getting larger.
That's a good way of putting in a few words what it took me many words to say!
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
That's a good way of putting in a few words what it took me many words to say!
Lol, no prob.

In my experience in the adult world of urban professionals, the cool factor largely comes from straights. It feels like it's about tokenism. The "oh cool, maybe I can make another gay friend" thing. Gay adults typically have enough gay friends that they usually don't care if you're straight or gay.
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
Lol, no prob.

In my experience in the adult world of urban professionals, the cool factor largely comes from straights. It feels like it's about tokenism. The "oh cool, maybe I can make another gay friend" thing. Gay adults typically have enough gay friends that they usually don't care if you're straight or gay.
+1
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:24 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am seeing signs among the majority of my young generation that this may be the case within the next few years.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:28 pm

We've been witnessing this with our son for years. It's not just promoted by his friends (straight & gay alike) but by teachers and now professors. We've dealt with the accusations that we're prejudiced because we tell him that SSA doesn't make you "cool," and we've had to complain about a religion teacher at a Catholic high school telling the class that, from a Catholic perspective, the Church now teaches that SSA is A-okay as long as you're truly in love and committed to one person. It makes teaching Christian love & acceptance and the morality of homosexuality a real minefield, mainly because the one lends credence the coolness claims, while the other (in his mind) bolstered the "Mom & Dad are hateful bigots" claims.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:34 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
A huge can of worms to open, I realize. But I am so curious and would like feedback.
I think it's more of a rebel, in your face factor.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:35 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Sims View Post
and we've had to complain about a religion teacher at a Catholic high school telling the class that, from a Catholic perspective, the Church now teaches that SSA is A-okay as long as you're truly in love and committed to one person..
It might be time to bust out the CCC.
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

It's growing. I've heard elderly, conservative life-long Republicans say, 'Well, I guess it's okay...'

And among the youth, it's spreading fast. More and more grow up never hearing that it's even possibly wrong to give in to temptation.

Great can of worms, 3Doctors. Thank you.

P.S. You going to change your name in October?
we pray.
- St. Augustine of Hippo
Old Feb 14, '12, 5:55 pm

More of a cool factor to declare you are "bi," for girls. I don't think guys think it's cool to be gay. The young gay males I see do tend to be quite "out" and campy - if they are out as gay, they are more the stereotypical "queen" type.
Old Feb 14, '12, 6:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
More of a cool factor to declare you are "bi," for girls. I don't think guys think it's cool to be gay. The young gay males I see do tend to be quite "out" and campy - if they are out as gay, they are more the stereotypical "queen" type.
Yes, that is true there is definitely a 'cool factor' to bisexuality in teenage girls. In my experience it was often in conjunction with the practice of Wicca. Both were nearly all the time phases that they grew out of, it was a rebelling thing.

My blog
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life