Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 14, '12, 3:18 pm

Religion: I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
Default Re: Wife becoming Protestant, I'm staying Catholic

You should not force her to do anything. Of course, you can explain to her why you disagree and why you think she is wrong using the Bible and your Catechism. But to be fair you should let her explain why she wants to go that route and actually listen to her. Just rebuking her and demanding that she follows you where ever you go will just push her away from you.

As another poster said, show love and compassion for her.

I know someone who was getting interested in Protestantism and her husband threatened to divorce her. It was just a threat and he wasn't really going to do it but he was so scared of her leaving the Church. She was mortified and now she has trust issues with him. She is scared that whatever she tells him he will use petty threats just to get his way and now their marriage is actually on the verge of divorce.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:19 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloSD View Post
My wife has decided to go to a non-denominational Christian center. She says she wants to focus on reading the Bible only.

Yesterday, she took the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe off our bedroom's wall. She said that we won't have any more images other than Jesus and crosses in our home. That's fine with me.

But what worries me is our children. I know I have a duty to raise them Catholic, because we're a craddle Catholic family. The children are baptized, we were married in the Church. All of our family heritage and history is Catholic.

How have you dealt with a spouse who left the Church, and how are you raising your small children?
Thanks!
Pablo
My first question to her: Where does Jesus teach all one needs is read the Bible?

BTW: One cannot read their way to Heaven.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Well the most important thing is to pray for her. When she is ready to talk about it with her and what it is she finds so wrong with the Catholic Church. As others have said I would encourage you and her to talk to a priest. Keep the kids a Catholic enviroment. Prayer in my opinion will be a big key to helping her though. Keep the lines of communication open. I will keep you and your family in prayers.
"Our Lord Jesus Christ is the Savior of our souls, the Governor of our bodies, and the Shepherd of the Catholic Church throughout the world." St. Polycarp, "The Martyrdom Of St. Polycarp," c. 135 A.D.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:53 pm

Quote:
My wife has decided to go to a non-denominational Christian center. She says she wants to focus on reading the Bible only.

Unfortunately for your wife she's turning her back on the primary source of Sanctifying Grace: the Seven Sacraments. Grace is gift from God bestowed on us through the merits of Jesus Christ in order to save us. The Sacraments are the visible signs instituted by Christ to give us grace in order to sanctify us. The idea of a "Bible-Only Christian" is a Satanic deception. The reason we know the Books of the Bible are inspired in the first place is because of the Sacred Tradition of the Catholic Church. No where in the Bible does it tell us what books are included in the Bible. Thus all these self-appointed freelance Bible interpreters have to trust the Catholic Church that the Bible is indeed inspired. But the Church was teaching with authority before the New Testament was even written. Jesus did not hand out Bibles, He established a Church and gave His Church authority to teach throughout the ages until the end of time.

I would recommend you have your wife watch the following video, as it explains why it is such a great tragedy to leave the Catholic Church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXLUwoiqjmk
Old Feb 14, '12, 5:05 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I was in a similar position myself, over 10 years of marriage. One difference was that my wife just drifted by degreees, and never made any new allegiances. I find it encouraging (probably) that your wife at least stands for something.

I agree with the previous posters who have said that you should avoid any brinkmanship or attempts to impose Catholicism on her. Be strong in your own prayers and knowledge of the faith, but be wary with arguments.

I would recommend a simple and firm approach to the raising of the children. If you agreed before marriage that the children would be raised as Catholics then hold very firmly to that, on the basis of "This is what we agreed". Discuss how your wife's current religion can be incorporated into that. For example, you priest may give you a dispensation to attend Church services with her on alternate weekends. You would be much better off keeping peace in the household, while raising the children Catholic, than setting up a running battle.

You are in my prayers,

Edmundus
Old Feb 14, '12, 7:07 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic for centuries

Thank you all for your advice.

I have to add that I have a lot of fault in what is going on in our home. I feel that I haven't been a good spiritual leader. Almost two years ago, it was me who thought that leaving the Catholic Church for the Mormons was the best for the family. The missionaries painted such a perfect environment for us to raise our children in, that I was caught, and fooled into the LDS cult.

But it was also me who realized that the Mormons are wrong in their beliefs, and that they are not at all perfect like they want to be seen by others outside.

So, I have to admit that, even though I was doing it with the best intentions, looking for the best for my children and our family, I am at fault for creating such chaos in my home.

I'm very sorry for this, and she knows it. But she also knows that I'm learning more about our faith, our Catholic heritage, and that I don't agree with several of the teachings of the Church. (I never ask Mary nor the saints for their intersession, for example.)

I'm afraid that if I tell her that, since our children were baptized as Christian Catholics, the kids have to be raised Catholics, she will say that I've created such chaos that she also has a right to raise them however she wants.

The main objections she has to the Catholic Church are:

1. All the emphasis on Mary and the saints. She says nothing compares to praying directly to God (I kind of agree with her here...). She now uses the word "idolatry" a lot... She's sounding so evangelical already: of course I don't tell her that.
2. The cover up of sexual abuse in the Church. (Again, I agree with her here...)
3. Most Catholics we know are not spiritual nor religious at all.... (Agree here, too.)

Although I agree with her in those points, I have done my research and I know that

1. Mary and the saints are not gods! We respect them and try to be like them in following our Lord. We ask for their prayers just like we ask family and friends to pray for us.
2. The media have turned the sexual abuse cases into a big circus. Just a very small percentage of bishops and priests have participated in the cover up. The vast majority of priests are men of God, humans who make mistakes as well.
3. I have to worry about my own salvation, and that of my wife and children. God will judge me directly, he's not going to held me accountable for my neighbor's sins...

I often listen to Father Juan Rivas, who has a Spanish-language radio show called Hombre Nuevo in Los Angeles. (His website, www.hombrenuevo.net).

He has a really cool apologetics show, that airs here in San Diego on 1390 AM from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. He once said that if some Catholics have many reasons based on the Bible to leave the Church, us who decide stay have MANY, MANY reasons MORE to remain Catholics.

In these few past months that I've been praying and reading about our Church and faith, I know that this is the Church that our Lord established. Although after a year of being Mormon I somehow feel uncomfortable in a lot of places, I know I'm at peace when I have Communion.

En Cristo,
Pablo
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:04 pm
Banned

Quote:

Yesterday, she took the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe off our bedroom's wall. She said that we won't have any more images other than Jesus and crosses in our home. That's fine with me.

But what worries me is our children. I know I have a duty to raise them Catholic, because we're a craddle Catholic family. The children are baptized, we were married in the Church. All of our family heritage and history is Catholic.

How have you dealt with a spouse who left the Church, and how are you raising your small children?
Thanks!
Pablo
If your wife really wanted to focus on reading the bible only, she shouldn't be going to ANY Christian center because that puts the focus on more than reading the bible.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:05 pm

Sorry you're having this trouble. I'd put my religious pictures back up...and consult a priest for help...and pray.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:07 pm

Religion: Protestant Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
it shouldn't be.

Enlist your famiy, enlist your friends, enlist your priest. Her soul is in great peril as long as she persists in this direction. Do all with charity, love, and prayer. But, don't sit back and have a "that is OK with me attitude." It's not OK.
Does this mean every protestant or orthodox member of the faith who the Church acknowledges are "Christians" are in peril?

Last I checked those with valid baptisms were all Christians regardless of sect of denomination.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:11 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post
Does this mean every protestant or orthodox member of the faith who the Church acknowledges are "Christians" are in peril?

Last I checked those with valid baptisms were all Christians regardless of sect of denomination.
Yes, your in RCIA so I imagine your safe.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
My first question to her: Where does Jesus teach all one needs is read the Bible?

BTW: One cannot read their way to Heaven.
Sola Scriptura doesn't make much sense. The Bible wasn't codified until the Fourth century. What did Christians do for the three hundred years between the Resurrection and Nicea? Obviously the tradition of the Church plays a pivotal role. If it wasn't for holy tradition, how would we even know what scripture was?
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic for centuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post

Here I agree with you, mitex. The Mormons were always using scare tactics to make us stay. I know there's salvation outside of the Catholic Church. The Catechism says so, too.

I'm not afraid that my wife's soul is in danger. She will stay be following Christ. The main reason why it's important for me that she stays Catholic is so that she can have the Sacraments and so that our whole family can be on the same road.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:50 pm
Registering

Quote:
Here I agree with you, mitex. The Mormons were always using scare tactics to make us stay. I know there's salvation outside of the Catholic Church. The Catechism says so, too.

I'm not afraid that my wife's soul is in danger. She will stay be following Christ. The main reason why it's important for me that she stays Catholic is so that she can have the Sacraments and so that our whole family can be on the same road.
One of the Six Sins Against the Holy Spirit is the presumption of Gods mercy. You cannot do what you want in life and presume that God will just save you. Someone that willfully leaves the Church founded by Christ is much more culpable than someone brought up in complete ignorance of the the truth. She is willfully rejecting the Bride of Christ in the Catholic Church and the Sacraments instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church?
Old Feb 14, '12, 9:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson View Post
One of the Six Sins Against the Holy Spirit is the presumption of Gods mercy. You cannot do what you want in life and presume that God will just save you. Someone that willfully leaves the Church founded by Christ is much more culpable than someone brought up in complete ignorance of the the truth. She is willfully rejecting the Bride of Christ in the Catholic Church and the Sacraments instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church?
I agree with Hudson. Talk your wife into re-entering the Catholic faith, but if she will not you have a duty as a Catholic to use all reasonable force as the husband and head of your family to FORCE her back into the Catholic faith. Her soul is in serious danger as there can be no leaving the Catholic church once one has been baptised into it. By doing so she is rejecting the Apostolic succession established by our Lord Jesus himself through Saint Peter.
Old Feb 14, '12, 9:24 pm

Quote:
I don't agree with several of the teachings of the Church. (I never ask Mary nor the saints for their intersession, for example.)
Then that's your problem. Pray the Rosary, it will bring you and your family closer to Christ--and protect you from falling away into error and further from God. Devotion to Mary always brings you closer to Christ.

Quote:
The main objections she has to the Catholic Church are:
1. All the emphasis on Mary and the saints. She says nothing compares to praying directly to God (I kind of agree with her here...). She now uses the word "idolatry" a lot... She's sounding so evangelical already
When we ask Mary or the saints to pray for us we glorify God, because they are God's masterpieces living with Him in heaven.

Quote:
2. The cover up of sexual abuse in the Church. (Again, I agree with her here...)
Christ said there would be weeds among the wheat and and wolves among the sheep. Regardless of the scoundrels in the Church, the Church will always teach the truth and the way to salvation. But sexual abuse cover-up happens in many organizations, including football teams.

Quote:
3. Most Catholics we know are not spiritual nor religious at all.... (Agree here, too.)
There are 1 billion Catholics in the world. Your judgment of the few you know may be giving you a false impression. I would suggest you read of the countless lives of the saints the Church has produced throughout the ages..

Here is a video with the 20 mysteries of the Holy Rosary, which is a meditation on the life of Christ. The more you know Christ the more you will love Him, and the more you will die to yourself and want to live for God alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5crbtwXYc1U
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions