Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 9, '12, 10:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Working on Sunday

I am looking for a job and I’m not having fun doing it. Most places are open all the time and people only want to hire someone who is available all the time no matter what. And if I say that I can’t work Sundays then they won’t consider hiring me.
I play the organ at my church, and they really depend on me being there. It makes me really upset to think that I have to give up going to mass and playing in the choir. These are the most important things that I do and I put all my effort in them. But I am getting almost desperate and I NEED a job. What should I do?! Do I accept a job where I have to work on Sunday and give up the things that I love the most? And would it be a sin to accept a job where I know I have to miss church?
Old Feb 9, '12, 12:25 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Working on Sunday

Whenever I interviewed potential employees and asked what hours are you available usually the applicant said "Any day and anytime".I would further question if that was really true because i knew most people have some other committments. If I hired them, sure enough a week or two into itt I would be told they COULD NOT work on some day at some time for some reason.
I always appreciated someone who was honest up front and said "every Tuesday I take my mom shopping and to run her errands" or whatever. I was actually very willing to work with someone who was honest.

Keep looking, explain your Sunday obligations and emphasize why you would be an assett to the company. Are you at Church all day Sunday? would yu be available to work between Masses? And trust that God is with you as you search for work.

St. Joseph the Worker- pray for us.
Old Feb 9, '12, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKid8900 View Post
I am looking for a job and I’m not having fun doing it. Most places are open all the time and people only want to hire someone who is available all the time no matter what. And if I say that I can’t work Sundays then they won’t consider hiring me.
I play the organ at my church, and they really depend on me being there. It makes me really upset to think that I have to give up going to mass and playing in the choir. These are the most important things that I do and I put all my effort in them. But I am getting almost desperate and I NEED a job. What should I do?! Do I accept a job where I have to work on Sunday and give up the things that I love the most? And would it be a sin to accept a job where I know I have to miss church?
The bolded contains your answer. You need to work, and the places that will consider hiring will only accept applicants who can work on Sundays. In this economy, you have to do what you have to do to keep a roof overhead and food on the table. Maybe when things improve you can look for a job with Sundays off. But until then...

In the meantime, I am sure the choir members will understand your predicament. In these times rare is the person who doesn't know at least one person looking for work. And they, like you, probably rely on paychecks to keep hearth and home together.

Use masstimes.org to find Sunday or vigil Masses in your area at times you can attend if there are none in your parish. And check at your parish to see if there is a need for an organist at different Masses, perhaps those said on your day(s) off.

Luna
Old Feb 9, '12, 1:06 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Can't you tell them you can work Sunday but only AFTER Mass? Say a 12-9 shift or something along those lines? Stress to them that you are willing to work whenever you're scheduled but you have a previous commitment on Sunday morning that you aren't willing to give up.

There IS an employer who will respect this. You just have to find them. God will reward you for remaining faithful to Him.

Pray. Pray. Pray.
Old Feb 11, '12, 5:42 pm

Most employers have a legal duty to accommodate employees with regards to attending religious worship.

I ran into this problem too last summer. If you're filling out an application form requesting availability, you put what time you are available on Sundays. If they ask you, you explain to them.

If that doesn't work, go work for a Mormon or Mennonite company. They don't work on Sundays. Seriously, the first and only time I ever got Sundays off was when I was working for a Mormon company stationed in Provo, Utah.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
Most employers have a legal duty to accommodate employees with regards to attending religious worship.
Yes. And no.

Most employers - especially retailers - can quite readily claim undue hardship when not granting Sundays off.

Title VII protects workers from employment discrimination based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected activity. Solely with respect to religion, Title VII also requires reasonable accommodation of employees’ sincerely held religious beliefs, observances, and practices when requested, unless accommodation would impose an undue hardship on business operations. Undue hardship under Title VII is defined as “more than de minimis” cost or burden -- a substantially lower standard for employers to satisfy than the “undue hardship” defense under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which is defined instead as “significant difficulty or expense.”

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/religion.html

While decent employers are willing to work around religious obligations, it's practical for applicants to be willing to attend vigil, early morning, or Sunday evening masses rather than inform potential employers that Sundays are a non-option.

Luna
Old Feb 14, '12, 7:20 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

Coolkid,

I really feel for you. It is difficult. I have been working in retail in the UK for the past year and have now been asked to work Sundays. I have told my employer that I cannot work Sundays. The law in the UK says that for reasons of faith I don't have to, although there are exceptions. I am worried about the attitudes of others having to work Sundays when I will not.

I don't think the matter purely relates to attending mass and then carrying on with Sunday as you would with any other day.

Exod. 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

I understand that there is much debate about the sabbath and Sundays, but that is another subject altogether.

However, please do not think I am judging you, I appreciate your difficulties. Please pray, pray and pray! I am sure that God will guide you.

May God Bless you.
Jackie
Old Feb 15, '12, 10:52 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I work in a 24/7/365 industry. Sundays are a busy day. There is really no way to ever be abe to demand or request it off or have hours to go to church. I will be able to go to church on Sunday as soon as my seniority allows the day off. Depending on the employer it can take decades to do this. Not much I can do but make Tuesday or Wednesday my Sunday.
Old Mar 11, '12, 4:50 pm

I no longer shop on Sunday, even for a meal. I do not want to be responsible for anyone having to work on Sunday.
Old Mar 13, '12, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCT View Post
I no longer shop on Sunday, even for a meal. I do not want to be responsible for anyone having to work on Sunday.
Same here. While I do not think it is necessarily a sin to shop on Sundays, my wife and I make a serious effort not to transact any business on Sundays (not even online shopping), because we do not want to be part of the reason why someone has to work on a Sunday. We do make occasional exceptions, such as going to a restaurant to celebrate a birthday or a baptism, or buying gas if we forgot to fill up on Saturday and the tank is almost empty, but those exceptions are pretty rare.
Old Mar 20, '12, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCT View Post
  • Then you'd better live off the grid because someone is being paid to keep your lights on and water running on Sundays.
  • Do you shop on Mondays? Items on Monday morning shelves were typically stocked there, or trucked to the store, on Sunday evening. In fact, pretty much anything you wear, use, or eat had a pretty good chance of being involved in Sunday production, manufacturing, or transportation.
Old Mar 20, '12, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Lovecraft View Post
  • Then you'd better live off the grid because someone is being paid to keep your lights on and water running on Sundays.
  • Do you shop on Mondays? Items on Monday morning shelves were typically stocked there, or trucked to the store, on Sunday evening. In fact, pretty much anything you wear, use, or eat had a pretty good chance of being involved in Sunday production, manufacturing, or transportation.
I know that this was directed at ACCT, but since I pretty much do the same thing (not shopping on Sundays), I'll reply:

As to your first bullet point, I think that this is taking the idea to an irrational extreme. Of course some people have to work on Sundays, at businesses that by their nature cannot close (electric utilities being a good example), and we don't have to be scrupulous about this issue. I don't avoid every single instance of shopping on Sundays. As I mentioned above, I do make occasional exceptions. I just try, within reason, to avoid actions on Sundays that directly encourage businesses to be open on that day, when they don't have to be.

As to your second bullet point, I can't control how a business decides to stock their shelves, transport their goods, etc. That is their decision, and I can't influence that decision by choosing any particular day to shop or not to shop, so I'm not going to try to hold myself responsible for it. However, if enough people avoided most shopping and other business on Sundays, then some businesses most likely would reduce their Sunday hours, or even close altogether on Sundays. They might still have some supply chain activities going on, but at least some additional employees would get Sunday off.

And I do realize that a particular business is extremely unlikely to change their Sunday hours simply because my family and I choose not to do business with them on Sundays. However, we still try to avoid Sunday shopping for the same reason that we still vote, even though one or two votes are extremely unlikely to sway an election one way or another. Namely, when we shop, we are voting with our feet, by contributing to traffic and sales in a certain store at a certain time on a certain day.

Finally, I'm not saying that anyone else has to do what we do, or that a person sins by shopping on Sundays. However, I do wish that more people would refuse to do business on Sundays (again, within reason), so that fewer people would have to work on that day.
Old Mar 21, '12, 6:02 am

Smile Re: Working on Sunday

Yes this is a difficult situation, when living in a secular society.When I was small,everything stopped on a Saturday(usually people worked in the retail industry only on a Saturday morning) The only people who did work(paid) were those involved in the essential services field ,such as hospitals,police,transport,though a minimum service etc.
But then companies got greedy and the Governments caved into their demands,claiming that "people" want to shop on Sundays and by bring in the "multicultural" arguement,they claimed that ----why should "christian" values and beliefs be imposed on a secular and diverse population with other belief systems..

I was always taught that working on a Sunday was morally acceptable, for say farmers during harvesting time and those involved in essential services.On top of that ,if a person needed to work on a Sunday to feed & cloth his/her family and there was no other alternative ,then this was OK.I think that this was why ,that after Vatican 11,the Church introduced the Vigil Mass to give a great access to Catholics ,to meet their Sunday Obligation to Worship God on this day of rest.

Since I have made a total career shift,I know exactly what the starter of this thread is going through.At the moment,I am avoiding applying for all jobs where they require a person to work on a Sunday.Where a choice is given for the times I am prepared to work,I put down Saturdays and public holidays, but not Sundays.If say, a hospital position came up which usually requires a rotating shift,I would naturally apply for this position ,as the sick do not have a "day off--on a Sunday"!

I too do not go on principal,shopping on a Sunday,I only fill up my car on such a day if I am travelling on a long journey,this includes going to "Sunday farmer markets etc.I am fortunate that I can get by being unemployed,rather than accepting a job that requires a Sunday committment.I am sure many others just do not have this choice ,so as to put a roof over their heads and pay all those bills which must be met.

I know I have not been accepted for many positions because I told the prospective employer that I will not work on a Sunday for religious reasons.One gentleman told me that he was a non believer ;so he could not understand my point of view.(maybe he worshipped the golden dollar!)

I live near an airport and most jobs require 24/7 availability.But in the end ,we all have to make our own choices according to our situation.I do not judge people who are forced to work on the Holy Day.The Catholic Church just gives us guide lines on how to keep the Sunday a day of rest ;which also includes a Sunday commitment to attend Mass.

I believe and trust that God will in the end ,find me a suitable work situation where I will still be able to keep holy the Sunday,as a day of rest and worship.(even if it is not my "ideal job",the sacrifice is worth it I feel)
Old Mar 21, '12, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGH View Post
As to your first bullet point, I think that this is taking the idea to an irrational extreme. Of course some people have to work on Sundays, at businesses that by their nature cannot close (electric utilities being a good example), and we don't have to be scrupulous about this issue. I don't avoid every single instance of shopping on Sundays. As I mentioned above, I do make occasional exceptions. I just try, within reason, to avoid actions on Sundays that directly encourage businesses to be open on that day, when they don't have to be.
Living off the grid in order to avoid people who must work on Sundays is no more irrational or extreme than people who refuse to tip wait staff on Sundays.

When I was in college I worked part-time at an ice cream parlor in a touristy part of my college town. Saturdays and Sundays were the big money-making days, so I was usually scheduled to work those. We kept a tip jar on the counter. I can recall two times a group came in, ordered and ate their sundaes and ice cream cones, and then made it a point of not tipping because they didn't believe people should work on Sundays. One group left a 10 Commandment tract in the tip jar with the Forth Commandment circled; the other time the gentleman shook the tip jar at the cashier and asked her why she thought she deserved to be rewarded for sinning on the Sabbath.

At least the people who do choose to live off the grid because they don't want to be part of our society have the courage of their convictions, quite unlike the ice cream Christians of my youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGH View Post
As to your second bullet point, I can't control how a business decides to stock their shelves, transport their goods, etc. That is their decision, and I can't influence that decision by choosing any particular day to shop or not to shop, so I'm not going to try to hold myself responsible for it. However, if enough people avoided most shopping and other business on Sundays, then some businesses most likely would reduce their Sunday hours, or even close altogether on Sundays. They might still have some supply chain activities going on, but at least some additional employees would get Sunday off.
A good many of the employees who would be getting the day off are people earning minimum wage (or less) who probably need the hours more than anyone else. The employees in the supply chain, almost all of whom make more than front line floor staff, will still be working.

You're right, we can't hold ourselves individually accountable to the way the modern economy runs. If an individual decides not to work or shop or consume on Sundays, I have absolutely no problems with that. I as much as I'm able to strive to make Sundays rest days. But I'm privileged enough to work in an industry that doesn't have weekend hours. I'm not going to try to thwart the under-educated, the single parents, and others who skate on the poverty line every day by trying to deny them the ability to eek out a living for themselves and their families by working on Sundays.

Luna
Old Mar 21, '12, 2:14 pm

Quote:
When I was in college I worked part-time at an ice cream parlor in a touristy part of my college town. Saturdays and Sundays were the big money-making days, so I was usually scheduled to work those. We kept a tip jar on the counter. I can recall two times a group came in, ordered and ate their sundaes and ice cream cones, and then made it a point of not tipping because they didn't believe people should work on Sundays. One group left a 10 Commandment tract in the tip jar with the Forth Commandment circled; the other time the gentleman shook the tip jar at the cashier and asked her why she thought she deserved to be rewarded for sinning on the Sabbath.

Well, that is very strange indeed! I can't understand how they could think that it was OK for them to go to an ice cream parlor for ice cream on a Sunday, but not OK for anyone to work there. Did they expect that the manager should just leave the door unlocked on Sundays, and let people come and help themselves to ice cream?

Quote:
The employees in the supply chain, almost all of whom make more than front line floor staff, will still be working.
That may be true, but again, I don't really see anything that I can do about that. So I'm going to focus on what I can do something about (even if the "something" that I can do is extremely small), rather than on what I can't do anything about.

Quote:
I'm not going to try to thwart the under-educated, the single parents, and others who skate on the poverty line every day by trying to deny them the ability to eek out a living for themselves and their families by working on Sundays.
I'm not trying to do that either. I don't think that we shop significantly less overall than we would otherwise, as a result of not shopping on Sundays. We just make sure to do our shopping on other days of the week. Saturday is usually a busy shopping day for us!

Even if a large number of people did what we do, and if some stores closed on Sundays as a result, it seems to me that those stores might need more employees to work on other days due to people's Sunday shopping getting shifted to other days of the week. So I'm not convinced that anyone would necessarily lose a job or lose hours as a result of less Sunday shopping. (I could be wrong though; it is a somewhat complex issue.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014