Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 11, '12, 4:45 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Small things that make a big difference....

Hi! I wanted to share another money-saving tip. I guess this is more of a tip on how to persevere while you are in your pursuit of financial stability.

Every time you save money, think of the implications. For instance, if I get a free lunch through a coupon or a gift card that is one less expense that I have to worry about this month. I think of what it would have cost to buy or make a lunch for that meal and I think of where I should direct that money. (Such as putting it towards a bill that needs to be paid). If you think about the effects of your actions you can keep yourself motivated!

Just recently we bought a big bag of rice. The great thing about these big bags of rice is that you can put it in an airtight container and use as little or as much as you want without worrying about bugs. Plus, rice is an extremely inexpensive filler for all kinds of meals. You can stretch recipes and meats simply by adding in some rice. Don't be afraid to have a meal here and there of just beans and rice. It sounds boring and miserable, but with some good spices and vegetables you can create a healthy and filling stir fry or rice cooker meal that costs next to nothing.

When we eat inexpensively I like to think of where I can put the money we saved. I think about our goals of having a house, kids, etc. and I realize that every little act makes a difference and puts us that much closer.
Old Feb 11, '12, 9:16 pm
Banned

Keep your eyes open this time of year for extreme leftover Christmas wrap. I was at the hallmark shop (Valentine's Day and all) and they still had wrap - big rolls, too - for 50. And the second roll was free! So, a quarter for a roll of Christmas wrap. I would have loaded up, but we still have about 4 rolls left that we bought after Christmas last year that we didn't use up this year.

I always look at the wrap after Christmas. Sometimes they have some not-very-Christmasy stuff left over. That's probably why it didn't sell. But some of it can be suitable for birthday wrapping paper! If I don't have any of that type of birthday wrapping paper, the Sunday comics make good wrapping paper, especially for kids.

By the way, February 15 is a good day to shop Walgreens, CVS, Rite-aid, anywhere, really, for half-price Valentine candy. I don't care if the M&Ms are red, white, and pink, they all taste the same...maybe they taste better when they're half the price of the red, green, blue, yellow, and brown ones!

My wife and I live below our means, no doubt about it. We were raised that way. Which is good, because we don't have money fights. Both of us grew up hearing, "Because we can't afford it." when we asked for something at the store. Or should that be whined for something....

It does bring Peace of Mind. We've got enough money in the bank to make the house payment for a year if need be, and stay afloat financially for at least a couple months besides if we both lost our jobs at once. We couldn't do that if we spent as fast as we earned it. We don't carry balances on our credit cards - you get nothing for the money you spend on interest. If we have some unexpected expense, that's what money in the bank is for.

TraditionRules, living below one's means is virtuous: it's called being Thrifty. And it's part of the Boy Scout Law.

My wife darns my work socks. One night she was working on some and I stopped and grinned, "You know, we make enough money that I can afford to go buy some new socks." She said, "I know. But it seems like such a waste to throw a sock away because it has one little hole."

Speaking of which... I buy my socks in big bags all plain white, and when they have been darned to death, pick out the worst two and get rid of 'em. I couldn't do that if they had stripes, unless they all had the same stripes.
Old Feb 12, '12, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCatholic View Post
Too late, the economy already is in a deep economic DEPRESSION. If our government actually didn't enact policies which guarantee high unemployment, people would not have to take cost-saving measures like this just to survive.
This thread isn't about government policies or people being forced to enact cost-saving measures. It a thread for people who see good in being thrifty, believe in the idea of "reduce, re-use, and recycle," and/or of want to keep noxious chemicals out of our homes.

Any ideas along those lines?

Luna
Old Feb 13, '12, 4:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Lovecraft View Post
This thread isn't about government policies or people being forced to enact cost-saving measures. It a thread for people who see good in being thrifty, believe in the idea of "reduce, re-use, and recycle," and/or of want to keep noxious chemicals out of our homes.

Any ideas along those lines?

Luna
I agree with the whole theme of the thread, I was just answering the one person who thinks that the idea of reduce, re-use and recycle is evil.
Old Feb 17, '12, 6:23 pm

One of my good friends took me to a thrift store that I had never heard of. It is a store for one of the women's shelters in our city and it is a goldmine for good clothes. They had the high-end business suit that I needed from a great brand. It was SO CHEAP! It is more expensive than the Goodwill I usually go to, but unlike Goodwill the store is extremely clean and well-kept. It is very botique-like and they even arrange all of the women's tops by color in a rainbow across the back wall. (Arranging tops by color is amazingly efficient when you are shopping for something specific!)

The entire outfit is so much cheaper than what it would have been if I bought it new. I felt like a shopping master and I will absolutely be going back!

Has anyone else felt like a money-saving master recently? I'm in the mood for some happy stories.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014