Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #61  
Old Feb 15, '12, 1:30 pm
ryanoneil ryanoneil is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: August 29, 2007
Posts: 3,461
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gracely View Post
The phrase, “This generation shall not pass away,” is not in the context of Jesus’ contemporaries rejecting him.
I believe it is the context. Just before the discourse Jesus called the scribes and Pharisees hypocrites and pronounced woes on them. Then he ended by saying "Truely, I say to you, all this will come upon this generation." (Mt 23:36). Jesus was talking to his contemporaries.

Quote:
Verses in the same chapter (Mt 24) preceding this phrase states that earth would experience many troubles of a natural phenomenon, that the gospel would be preached to every nation, that those who endured to the end would be saved, that a great tribulation would come upon the earth never before or since equaled in its severity, that no flesh would survive it were not those days shortened, that in those days (of the Great Tribulation) the sun will be darkened and the moon not give its light and that even the powers heaven would be shaken, and, finally, that Christ will return.
Please read the verses again and notice how many times Jesus says YOU. He is talking to those who are listening to him first (before we could ever apply his words to a future generation). Also many of the natural phenomenon did take place, but more than that, those phenomenon are apocalyptic language used to describe the downfall of dynasties. Take for example (Isa 13:10-13), which describes the defeat of Babylon in the same terms.

Also, the word "world" means the civilized world which at the time was the Roman Empire. And St. Paul told us that the faith and gospel had been proclaimed in all the world (Rom 1:8, Col 1:5-6).

Quote:
Then Jesus says to learn a parable of the fig tree, that when it puts forth its leaves you know summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things (the events threatening to extinguish all flesh living contemporaneously with the Great Tribulation) you know that IT (Christ’s Coming) is near. And THEN we have the phrase, “This generation shall not pass away until all is fulfilled.” Again, the natural reading takes its key from verse 22, which says that despite the days which threaten to extinguish all human life on earth—the coming Great Tribulation—the generation that witnesses this shall not pass away without the completion (fulfillment) of all that Christ has predicted. In short, the phrase in context is not referencing Jesus’ contemporaries in the first century AD.
The reading takes it's key from verses 2-3. Jesus said the Temple would be destroyed and the disciples asked when. When the eight signs appeared and the fig tree put out leaves in the summer, the Son of man's judgment was at "the very gates" of the rebellious city of Jerusalem. Christians fled like the Lord told them. The great tribulation of the Church started after the burning of Rome in July of 64AD. It progressed for two years in full force (and may have suceeded in stamping out Christianity). But Jerusalem revolted against Rome in Feb 67AD and Rome's wrath shifted to the Jews. There has never been, nor will there ever be (until the final eschaton) anything that could have smothered out Christianity when it was so small and vulnerable- if Nero had continued any longer or if the Jerusalem Christians had not escaped the seige of Jerusalem.

The destruction of Jerusalem was the unmistakable sign that the rejected Son of man came on the clouds to heaven and was enthroned. Coming on the clouds was used in the OT to represent God's judgment (often in the form of an invading army).

But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.'"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." (Mt 26:63-64)
__________________

scripturecatholic.com
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Feb 15, '12, 1:39 pm
ivebeenshown's Avatar
ivebeenshown ivebeenshown is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 16, 2010
Posts: 520
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Before anyone mentions some contrived 360-day 'prophetic year' again, I will say this:

If you add a 'year' to Nisan 1 and do not end up at Nisan 1 the next year, you haven't really added a year, you've added a contrived number of days.

Thank you...
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Feb 15, '12, 3:04 pm
beehumble's Avatar
beehumble beehumble is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2010
Posts: 1,855
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoneil View Post
<snip>[/b]
Again, it is "both/and". Jesus was addressing His contemporaries, and He was also addressing us who would come later and read what He said. It applies to both times - the fulfillment of the Old Covenant and the final fulfillment of the New. (And if one goes back and reads Ezekiel, one will notice the Shekinah Glory [fire of the Holy Spirit] coming to put a mark on those who obeyed God and those without the mark will die, and the Shekinah Glory departed from the Temple, went to the Mount of Olives and ascended. And the words given to Ezekiel mentioned the abomination that causes desolation - the desolation coming when the Shekinah Glory departed from the first temple and the later destruction of the first temple and the captivity into Babylon. Sound familiar? )

So His words applied to 70 AD, to the final coming, AND to the previous time when the first temple was destroyed! These are what Cardinal Newman meant when he spoke of repeating patterns of Salvation history.

So many people argue over this because they do not apply the "both/and", the "yes and yes" to the problem. Both sides are right but only partially right, since each excludes the other part.

God bless you.
__________________
I will take Francisco and Jacinta [to Heaven] soon, but you must remain A While Longer. Jesus wishes to use you to make me better known and loved.
- Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia, 13 June 1917
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Feb 16, '12, 9:09 am
ryanoneil ryanoneil is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: August 29, 2007
Posts: 3,461
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by beehumble View Post
Again, it is "both/and". Jesus was addressing His contemporaries, and He was also addressing us who would come later and read what He said. It applies to both times - the fulfillment of the Old Covenant and the final fulfillment of the New. (And if one goes back and reads Ezekiel, one will notice the Shekinah Glory [fire of the Holy Spirit] coming to put a mark on those who obeyed God and those without the mark will die, and the Shekinah Glory departed from the Temple, went to the Mount of Olives and ascended. And the words given to Ezekiel mentioned the abomination that causes desolation - the desolation coming when the Shekinah Glory departed from the first temple and the later destruction of the first temple and the captivity into Babylon. Sound familiar? )

So His words applied to 70 AD, to the final coming, AND to the previous time when the first temple was destroyed! These are what Cardinal Newman meant when he spoke of repeating patterns of Salvation history.

So many people argue over this because they do not apply the "both/and", the "yes and yes" to the problem. Both sides are right but only partially right, since each excludes the other part.

God bless you.
Thanks, I agree.
__________________

scripturecatholic.com
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Feb 16, '12, 10:32 am
onemangang's Avatar
onemangang onemangang is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 10, 2010
Posts: 715
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Here is what happens if you remove the possibility of both/and from scripture.


Lets take a scholar in linguistics, who understood syntax better than most, and see what he said in regards to Matthew 24. The statement will clearly point out the reality of the claim, if the olivet discourse is spiritualized, to mean only a future generation, instead of the prima facie statement Jesus said to people standing before him.

C.S. Lewis
"The apocalyptic beliefs of the first Christians have been proved to be false. It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so. He shared, and indeed created, their delusion. He said in so many words, 'this generation shall not pass till all these things be done.' And he was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else. This is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible." (Essay "The World's Last Night" (1960), found in The Essential C.S. Lewis, p. 385)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Feb 16, '12, 7:11 pm
Daniel Gracely Daniel Gracely is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: February 10, 2012
Posts: 12
Religion: Evangelical
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

I’ve just lost about a half hour of typing in the post-reply field by a few misplaced keystrokes that erased everything. Normally I compose my response in Word and then transfer it, but in haste to write my last comment to this thread I hadn’t bothered. So I just want to make a few closing remarks, since at this point I’m simply repeating arguments, and tire now of what in my view has become a fruitless discussion.

First, one writer claims the “prophetic year” of 360 days is contrived, and that anything besides Nisan 1 to Nisan 1 is wrong. Obviously this person has not read my comments, or not read them carefully. Nor has he read the Bible carefully and in particular Genesis chapters 7 and 8. Instead of actually dealing with the biblical text, he lobs a grenade about the “prophetic year” hoping it will end the discussion. The 150 day interval of Noah’s life mentioned by specific days of specific months cannot be accounted for by either today’s standard solar year, not by the lunar-solar calendar used later by the Jews. Also, if only he had bothered to read the part where I explain why the “prophetic year” is not the best description of the 360-day year. But I’m done with such ‘responses’. I just can’t (okay, won’t) take the time to try to teach someone so committed to his own ideas at the expense of feeling any accountability to the biblical and archaeological records, both of which (reader, take note!) he carefully avoids.

Another person claims Ezekiel discusses the “abomination of desolation.” In fact, Ezekiel does not, but the protagonist here wishes to treat some event as synonymous with it. Moreover, Christ himself states that it was spoken of by Daniel.

Finally, someone quotes C.S. Lewis’s view on the Olivet Discourse. But IMO Lewis was, on the whole, a more brilliant essayist that he was a theologian. And he wasn’t so great a linguist in Greek to understand the nuances in the Greek words “kai” and “de”, both of which are key to peripheral arguments supporting a correct interpretation of Daniel. And so he fails, as does the one here who feels that verses 2 and 3 are the key to the phrase in verse 34 “this generation shall not pass until all is fulfilled,” that the beginning verses of Matthew 24 are not talking about the final destruction of the Temple at the end of the age, which Christ states would come AFTER the gospel had been preached to EVERY nation, which was hardly the case by 70 AD. In fact, one must compare all three accounts of Christ’s teaching on the last days, to realize Luke alone has in view ONLY the 70 AD destruction.

Well, thank you (mostly) for the discussion nonetheless.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Feb 18, '12, 9:20 pm
beehumble's Avatar
beehumble beehumble is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2010
Posts: 1,855
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gracely View Post
<snip>

Another person claims Ezekiel discusses the “abomination of desolation.” In fact, Ezekiel does not, but the protagonist here wishes to treat some event as synonymous with it. Moreover, Christ himself states that it was spoken of by Daniel.

<snip
I did not use a quoted phrase 'abomination of desolation' (please cite posts accurately!)

I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beehumble View Post
....(And if one goes back and reads Ezekiel, one will notice the Shekinah Glory [fire of the Holy Spirit] coming to put a mark on those who obeyed God and those without the mark will die, and the Shekinah Glory departed from the Temple, went to the Mount of Olives and ascended. And the words given to Ezekiel mentioned the abomination that causes desolation - the desolation coming when the Shekinah Glory departed from the first temple and the later destruction of the first temple and the captivity into Babylon. Sound familiar? ).....
Actually Ezekiel and Second Chronicles combined cover it, not Ezekiel alone (just as more than one Gospel writer covers the discussion of the end given by Jesus, so there are at least two books in the Old Testament that covers Babylon's attack on the (first) Temple.

In Ezekeil 1-4, the Shekinah Glory (God) comes to the temple to perform a work of separation, of judgement of the righteous and unrighteous:
1
1 In the thirtieth year, on the fifth day of the fourth month, while I was among the exiles by the river Chebar, the heavens opened, and I saw divine visions.--
2
2 On the fifth day of the month, the fifth year, that is, of King Jehoiachin's exile,
3
the word of the LORD came to the priest Ezekiel, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the river Chebar.--There the hand of the LORD came upon me.
4
3 As I looked, a stormwind came from the North, a huge cloud with flashing fire (enveloped in brightness), from the midst of which (the midst of the fire) something gleamed like electrum.

The Abominations meriting the judgement are mentioned in Ezekiel 8:

3
1 Spirit lifted me up in the air and brought me in divine visions to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the north gate, where stood the statue of jealousy which stirs up jealousy.
5
2 He said to me: Son of man, look toward the north! I looked toward the north and saw northward of the gate the altar of the statue of jealousy.
6
Son of man, he asked me, do you see what they are doing? Do you see the great abominations that the house of Israel is practicing here, so that I must depart from my sanctuary? But you shall see still greater abominations!
7
Then he brought me to the entrance of the court, where I saw there was a hole in the wall.
8
Son of man, he ordered, dig through the wall. I dug through the wall and saw a door.
9
Enter, he said to me, and see the abominable evils which they are doing here.
10
3 I entered and saw that all around upon the wall were pictured the figures of all kinds of creeping things and loathsome beasts (all the idols of the house of Israel).
11
Before these stood seventy of the elders of the house of Israel, among whom stood Jaazaniah, son of Shaphan, each of them with his censer in his hand, and the fragrance of the incense was rising upward.
12
Then he said to me: Do you see, son of man, what each of these elders of the house of Israel is doing in his idol room? They think: "The LORD cannot see us; the LORD has forsaken the land."
13
He continued: You shall see still greater abominations that they are practicing.
14
4 Then he brought me to the entrance of the north gate of the temple, and I saw sitting there the women who were weeping for Tammuz.
15
Then he said to me: Do you see this, son of man? You shall see other abominations, greater than these!
16
5 Then he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and there at the door of the LORD'S temple, between the vestibule and the altar, were about twenty-five men with their backs to the LORD'S temple and their faces toward the east; they were bowing down to the sun.
17
6 Do you see, son of man? he asked me. Is it such a trivial matter for the house of Judah to do the abominable things they have done here--for they have filled the land with violence, and again and again they have provoked me--that now they must also put the branch to my nose?
18
Therefore I in turn will act furiously: I will not look upon them with pity nor will I show mercy.
Then in Ezekiel 9:1-6 the placing of a cross (Hebrew Taw - letter X) on the foreheads of those to be spared, as in the Book of Revelation. Those spared are hose who groan over the abominations being done:
1
Then he cried loud for me to hear: Come, you scourges of the city!
2
With that I saw six men coming from the direction of the upper gate which faces the north, each with a destroying weapon in his hand. In their midst was a man dressed in linen, with a writer's case at his waist. They entered and stood beside the bronze altar.
3
Then he called to the man dressed in linen with the writer's case at his waist,
4
1 saying to him: Pass through the city (through Jerusalem) and mark an X on the foreheads of those who moan and groan over all the abominations that are practiced within it.
5
To the others I heard him say: Pass through the city after him and strike! Do not look on them with pity nor show any mercy!
6
Old men, youths and maidens, women and children--wipe them out! But do not touch any marked with the X; begin at my sanctuary. So they began with the men (the elders) who were in front of the temple.
continued.....
__________________
I will take Francisco and Jacinta [to Heaven] soon, but you must remain A While Longer. Jesus wishes to use you to make me better known and loved.
- Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia, 13 June 1917
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Feb 18, '12, 9:21 pm
beehumble's Avatar
beehumble beehumble is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2010
Posts: 1,855
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

(continued from previous post)

Then after the work of judgement because of the abominations, the Shekinah Glory stands on the mount of olives (mount to the east of jerusalem) before ascending back to Heaven - it is at this time when the city is forsaken - in Ezekiel 11:22,23 :
22
1 Then the cherubim lifted their wings, and the wheels went along with them, while up above them was the glory of the God of Israel.
23
And the glory of the LORD rose from the city and took a stand on the mountain which is to the east of the city.

And then in 2 Chronicles we have the same events and mentioning of the desolation in 2 Chronicles 14-21, a desolation caused by all those abominations mentioned in Ezekiel chapter 8:
14 Furthermore, all the leaders of Judah, the priests and the people too, added infidelity to infidelity, copying all the shameful practices of the nations and defiling the Temple of Yahweh which he himself had consecrated in Jerusalem.

15 Yahweh, God of their ancestors, continuously sent them word through his messengers because he felt sorry for his people and his dwelling,

16 but they ridiculed the messengers of God, they despised his words, they laughed at his prophets, until Yahweh's wrath with his people became so fierce that there was no further remedy.

17 So against them he summoned the king of the Chaldaeans and he put their young men to the sword within the very building of their Temple, not sparing young man or girl, or the old and infirm; he put them all at his mercy.

18 All the things belonging to the Temple of God, whether large or small, the treasures of the Temple of Yahweh, the treasures of the king and his officials, everything he took to Babylon.

19 He burned down the temple of God, demolished the walls of Jerusalem, burned all its palaces to the ground and destroyed everything of value in it.

20 And those who had escaped the sword he deported to Babylon, where they were enslaved by him and his descendants until the rise of the kingdom of Persia,

21 to fulfil Yahweh's prophecy through Jeremiah: Until the country has paid off its Sabbaths, it will lie fallow for all the days of its desolation -- until the seventy years are complete.

So abominations led to the destruction of the first Temple and the desolation of the country.

And too, Jesus mentions abomination causing destruction of the second temple and the desolation that will follow, and He points back to Daniel about that (Daniel covered both the destruction of the first and second Temples, and says the people of Israel caused it [not mentioned but Daniel means caused it by their abominations - their violations of the Covenant with God, and their refusal to acknowledge the time of their visitation of Jesus with regards the second Temple.)

So we see a pattern repeating as regards both Temples, and so it will be with the 'third Temple', which is the People of God living throughout the world in "Jerusalem", the "City of God".

God bless you.
__________________
I will take Francisco and Jacinta [to Heaven] soon, but you must remain A While Longer. Jesus wishes to use you to make me better known and loved.
- Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia, 13 June 1917

Last edited by beehumble; Feb 18, '12 at 9:36 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Feb 18, '12, 9:35 pm
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2010
Posts: 3,506
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gracely View Post
So I just want to make a few closing remarks, since at this point I’m simply repeating arguments, and tire now of what in my view has become a fruitless discussion.
... the one here who feels that verses 2 and 3 are the key to the phrase in verse 34 “this generation shall not pass until all is fulfilled,” that the beginning verses of Matthew 24 are not talking about the final destruction of the Temple at the end of the age, which Christ states would come AFTER the gospel had been preached to EVERY nation, which was hardly the case by 70 AD. In fact, one must compare all three accounts of Christ’s teaching on the last days, to realize Luke alone has in view ONLY the 70 AD destruction.
Yes, there are all kinds of ways to try and interpret what "this generation" in the Olivet discourse means. But that's not all that Jesus said. Elsewhere in the synoptic Gospels, He was a lot more specific than that.


(note: this is Mark 8:36-9:1 in most Bibles)

Compare that with this from the Olivet discourse:



In both comings of the Lord, the angels accompany Him and He renders judgment on all men. Because the judgment only occurs once, each passage refers to the same coming.

So there are two things to note:

1. Neither the angels came nor the judgment was rendered at the Transfiguration, or when the Temple was destroyed. So Jesus is not talking only about either of those events--He is talking about the end of the world.

2. In the first passage, He identified "this generation" with the people right in front of Him. He didn't leave it to you to look at Daniel to figure out which one. If He had meant for you to do that, He would be giving you a way to know the day of the Lord, which is something He does not know. See Mt. 24:36.

As for the people before Him, they are now all dead and the world is still here.

Or are they?



The Blessed Virgin Mary never suffered death. She was assumed into Heaven at the end of her life like Enoch and Elijah before her. She is still alive and so is "this generation," which is why the world has not yet been judged. She the missing piece of the puzzle.

But, of course, only the Catholic Church teaches that. Everyone else is stuck with, as C.S. Lewis said, a "delusion" and the "most embarrassing verse in the Bible."

Come home please.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Feb 19, '12, 7:31 am
Daniel Gracely Daniel Gracely is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: February 10, 2012
Posts: 12
Religion: Evangelical
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

When I wrote the other night, stating it would be my last comment, it was not merely because I was tired of commentators here who professed to know the Bible but who failed repeatedly, when I challenged them, to harmonize biblical history with the archaeological record I had bothered to detail. It was also because of some immediate family health issues that proved too distracting to me to want to engage further, especially if it was only to repeat my charge ad nauseam. But the latest comments of beehumble and Cat Herder compel me to return at least one more response, lest any 3rd party readers suppose their latest comments somehow proved their points.

In short, both beehumble and Cat Herder now employ the logical fallacy of the red herring argument. That is, they attempt to mislead and divert our attention from the real issue, which is their failure to harmonize biblical history with the archaeological record re: Daniel’s prophecy of 69 weeks. For my still unanswered point is that such a harmonization shows that Christ died four days after the completion of the 69th week in the spring of 33 AD, and that therefore (implicitly) there is no logical accounting for a 70th week that would have followed uninterrupted and ended in 40 AD, to bring in such things as Daniel stated, such as the end of transgression, the bringing in of everlasting righteousness, etc. Nor has anyone answered (my lesser point) why Daniel wouldn’t have more naturally stated that Christ died at the beginning of the 70th week, if in fact the 70th week followed the 69th without interruption.

Instead commentators here continue to claim the 70th week has already occurred, at least from some standpoint, like the alleged Enoch Calendar of 364 days which supposedly marks the beginning of Daniel’s prophecy in 458 BC, which, as I pointed out, has neither biblical nor archaeological support. And how should these commentators reply to my giving them a grade of “F”? What else(?), but by showing me why the biblical record and the archaeological record disproves my view that Nisan in 444 BC was within Artaxerxes’ 20th year and was the starting point of Daniel’s prophecy.

But what I have received instead are a bunch of red herring arguments from the gospels’ ‘Olivet Discourse’, Ezekiel, etc. allegedly proving 70th week abominations and desolations, Mary’s assumption into heaven, the meaning of the phrase “this generation shall not pass away until…”, yada yada yada.

And so beehumble and Cat Herder have simply diverted our attention to other passages of the Bible, to read into these whatever assumptions and interpretations will help ‘justify’ their viewpoints of a completed 70th week. This red herring from needing to address the biblical and archaeological records does not impress. And for one of them to say to me “Please come home,” to a Catholicism that, if they themselves faithfully represent it, embraces chimerical ideas about Mary, a third “temple” of flesh, no future antichrist or 70th week, no 360-day year implicit in Creation, etc., all on the basis that their arguments are justified so long as biblical and archaeological evidence can be ignored, and the reader’s attention diverted to other passages, as though their point about the 70th week were already proved, is pathetic. Indeed! I say to them—“Please come home.” Yes, please come home to some feeling of obligation to the Old Testament record in the light of archaeological evidence. Please come home from employing red herring arguments that typify prodigal thinking instead of honest understanding. Please come home to common sense.

Let the reader beware! If commentators here continue to present red herring arguments by barraging the reader with loads of scripture that tend to impress and intimidate the uninformed, remember they have not answered my arguments. They have refused my plea to engage the Old Testament and archaeological records according to sound, evidentiary methods.

So don’t let them fool you into thinking that, should it prove they have the last comment here because I quit the argument, that somehow I was unable to answer their last points. Yet if my comment be the last one given here, be advised their quitting of the argument does nothing to excuse their long-standing failure to reckon with the Old Testament in the light of 5th century BC archaeological history (which, again, I have somewhat detailed in earlier comments). In short, if beehumble and Cat Herder really want to know the truth, the former will actually have to be humble, and the latter will need to herd facts instead of felines.

Last edited by Daniel Gracely; Feb 19, '12 at 7:48 am.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Feb 19, '12, 11:25 am
John7 John7 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 22, 2008
Posts: 1,290
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gracely View Post
So don’t let them fool you
ok there, big guy
__________________
I can smell the foul stench of satan
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Feb 19, '12, 11:38 am
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2010
Posts: 3,506
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gracely View Post
When I wrote the other night, stating it would be my last comment, it was not merely because I was tired of commentators here who professed to know the Bible but who failed repeatedly, when I challenged them, to harmonize biblical history with the archaeological record I had bothered to detail. It was also because of some immediate family health issues that proved too distracting to me to want to engage further, especially if it was only to repeat my charge ad nauseam. But the latest comments of beehumble and Cat Herder compel me to return at least one more response, lest any 3rd party readers suppose their latest comments somehow proved their points.

In short, both beehumble and Cat Herder now employ the logical fallacy of the red herring argument. That is, they attempt to mislead and divert our attention from the real issue, which is their failure to harmonize biblical history with the archaeological record re: Daniel’s prophecy of 69 weeks.
So you want us to stick to the Bible while you talk about extra-biblical archaeology?

Quote:
For my still unanswered point is that such a harmonization shows that Christ died four days after the completion of the 69th week in the spring of 33 AD, and that therefore (implicitly) there is no logical accounting for a 70th week that would have followed uninterrupted and ended in 40 AD, to bring in such things as Daniel stated, such as the end of transgression, the bringing in of everlasting righteousness, etc. Nor has anyone answered (my lesser point) why Daniel wouldn’t have more naturally stated that Christ died at the beginning of the 70th week, if in fact the 70th week followed the 69th without interruption.
All of this presupposes that there exists some reason to interrupt the coming of the 70th week. Nowhere in the Bible is such a clock-stopper contemplated. The dispensationalist idea that the Jewish rejection of the Earthly Davidic Kingdom (EDK) stops the clock is irrelevant because the Jews did not reject the EDK; Jesus did. The destruction of the Temple was part and parcel of the events surrounding the coming of the Kingdom. It has not yet been completed, nor has that generation passed away.

You may not like this suspense because you want to gaze into the palantir and find out when the day of the Lord is. I suspect that is what this is really all about. But I assure you that anyone on the other side of that palantir is not of the Lord because the Lord does not have that information--only the Father does and He is not telling us out of respect for our free will.

Quote:
And for one of them to say to me “Please come home,” to a Catholicism that, if they themselves faithfully represent it, embraces chimerical ideas about Mary,
You claim to belong to the Body of Christ. She is the Mother of Christ and is therefore your Mother and there is nothing chimerical about that. There is a commandment about honoring your Mother; Jesus, Who is without sin, obeyed the same. If you claim to be a Christian you need to do as He did.

Quote:
a third “temple” of flesh,
Nowhere in the Bible is there a promise that the earthly Temple would be rebuilt. On the contrary:



Quote:
no future antichrist or 70th week,
Inform yourself please

Quote:
no 360-day year implicit in Creation, etc.
God's days are not at all like our days:


(Ps. 90 in your Bible.) The Genesis days are not 24-hour periods. That is why there is no conflict between science and Genesis.

Quote:
all on the basis that their arguments are justified so long as biblical and archaeological evidence can be ignored, and the reader’s attention diverted to other passages, as though their point about the 70th week were already proved, is pathetic. Indeed! I say to them—“Please come home.” Yes, please come home to some feeling of obligation to the Old Testament record in the light of archaeological evidence. Please come home from employing red herring arguments that typify prodigal thinking instead of honest understanding. Please come home to common sense.
Maybe I should stick to dialoguing with Jews. They are certainly not ignorant of the OT or Palestinian archaeology and have never accused me of being so.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Feb 19, '12, 6:11 pm
beehumble's Avatar
beehumble beehumble is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2010
Posts: 1,855
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

hello
__________________
I will take Francisco and Jacinta [to Heaven] soon, but you must remain A While Longer. Jesus wishes to use you to make me better known and loved.
- Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia, 13 June 1917

Last edited by beehumble; Feb 19, '12 at 6:28 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Feb 20, '12, 1:19 pm
ryanoneil ryanoneil is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: August 29, 2007
Posts: 3,461
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gracely View Post
Instead commentators here continue to claim the 70th week has already occurred, at least from some standpoint, like the alleged Enoch Calendar of 364 days which supposedly marks the beginning of Daniel’s prophecy in 458 BC, which, as I pointed out, has neither biblical nor archaeological support. And how should these commentators reply to my giving them a grade of “F”? What else(?), but by showing me why the biblical record and the archaeological record disproves my view that Nisan in 444 BC was within Artaxerxes’ 20th year and was the starting point of Daniel’s prophecy.
Have you ever considered that Church fathers like Clement of Alexandrea, Origen, Eusebius, and St. Jerome were correct?

They believed that the first and last weeks denote decades, and that Daniel's weeks did not run chronologically. For instance the first set of seven weeks are forty-nine decades running from 457 BC (The decree to rebuild the city of Jerusalem in Ezra 7:11-26) to 32 AD.

The beginning of the sixty-two weeks starts in 444 BC (not chronological) when the actual rebuilding started. This section denotes years that run from 444 to 10 BC when the Temple was completed (not including the construction of annexes and adjoining buildings).

Most authorities in the early Church held the position that he final week was seven decades (seventy years) from the birth of Christ to the assault on the Temple. The last half of the week going from Christ's Passion to Nero's attack on Jerusalem.

Peace!
__________________

scripturecatholic.com
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:39 pm
beehumble's Avatar
beehumble beehumble is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2010
Posts: 1,855
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daniel's 70 weeks - Need Input

Typologically, this is very very interesting.

Can you provide some links or titles about this 70 years thing, either here or a PM?

I am very interested in this - the Bible - God has riddled it with typologies and I have been studying a lot of typologies especially those regarding the end times. I already posted how there is a lot of similarities with the end of the first and second temples, how God came and purged it both times, separating out the righteous from the unrighteous, the second time explicitly when Jesus threw out the money changers. Then armies came and burned it and took the people captive.

The end of this age will be similar typologically to those two previous times, excepting that the 'temple' is now the People of God since the Kingdom is present ( but not complete). So again a separation is coming, a marking with the cross and with the "beast's" mark (more figurative/spiritual than literal markings), and a consuming fire will descend (on the world since the temple - the People of God are scattered throughout the world).

God bless you.
__________________
I will take Francisco and Jacinta [to Heaven] soon, but you must remain A While Longer. Jesus wishes to use you to make me better known and loved.
- Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia, 13 June 1917
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8348Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5088CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: eschator83
4407Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3858SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3667Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3268Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3243Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3085For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:23 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.