Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '12, 4:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it okay to force a woman to have an ultrasound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
So a woman is going to allow all sorts of equipment further inside her body for the pirpose of killling the child in her womb, equipment which can rupture her uterus, btw, and you are outraged by this?

I'm sorry, I can't figure out the logic of this At All.
Ditto: I'm no expert, but don't abortion techniques consists of inserting some kind of instrument up the birth canal and entering the womb in order to kill the baby, so I'm not sure how this is different.

Apparently looking at the baby is tantamount to rape, but killing the baby is choice.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:27 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:41 pm
Banned

Religion: Undecided

1. Abortions can be chemical. No penetrative procedure required.

2. The legislature rejected an amendment to allow doctors to perform a non-penetrative ultrasound.

3. The ultrasound is required even if the doctor does not think it is necessary.

4. The right to abortion is a recognized right. See Roe v. Wade.

5. Birthing a child usually requires a penetrative act. Would it be okay to, force a woman to have a non-necessary penetrative ultrasound before having baby.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:28 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:42 pm
Banned

Religion: Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
Ditto: I'm no expert, but don't abortion techniques consists of inserting some kind of instrument up the birth canal and entering the womb in order to kill the baby, so I'm not sure how this is different.

Apparently looking at the baby is tantamount to rape, but killing the baby is choice.
Difference = choice

Old Feb 19, '12, 5:25 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McVay View Post

2. The legislature rejected an amendment to allow doctors to perform a non-penetrative ultrasound.

3. The ultrasound is required even if the doctor does not think it is necessary.

5. Birthing a child usually requires a penetrative act. Would it be okay to, force a woman to have a non-necessary penetrative ultrasound before having baby.
Here's a copy of the bill as it currently stands. I was unable to find the part where they require a transvaginal ultrasound. Maybe you can find it.

I am still trying to figure out what the uproar is about. It would be like my complaining that the dentist is spraying something in my mouth but not bothering about the fact that he is then sticking a needle into my gums. Or maybe complainibg about someone sratching the side of my car with a key while having given permission for someone to wreck the entire car.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Feb 19, '12, 6:25 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Difference = choice
The choice is still there. If she chooses to have an abortion, she chooses the procedures that go along with it - before, during and after. It is no different than any medical procedure. If you go in for elective surgery, you elect to also usually have blood work done, a chest x-ray taken, etc. It's a package deal.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:29 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 6:28 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
There's a whole host of OB/GYN procedures that are very invasive to which you must subject yourself if you want the care. She would be given a full pelvic as part of the initial exam to determine if she is pregnant.

Abortifacients are powerful drugs, very strong artificial hormones. They can have serious side effects. To think that a doctor would give his patient abortifacient drugs without determining if she is actually pregnant...

Of course, imho, any doctor dishing out abortifacient drugs (here, have an extra large dose of a class one carcinogen) has no respect for life and thinks as little of the woman he gives them to as he does the baby.

Tiber Swim Team
Class of 1980

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:33 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 6:39 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

What "penetrative act" does birthing a child require? CREATING a child does require a penetrative act, which would be sexual intimacy between a husband and wife, but giving birth to a baby does not normally involve any penetrative act. The baby comes OUT, nothing goes IN.

You are strange.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:33 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 6:49 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Marie View Post
This is a strawman argument. An ultrasound examination is already done before an abortion, always. The abortionist doesn't go in blind.

The ultrasound is required to locate the fetus. They need to know where the baby is so it can be chopped into parts and removed or sucked out with a vacuum.

What is different is allowing the mother to see the ultrasound rather than 'protecting' her from seeing her baby before she has him/her killed since that would cause trauma. They would see that their baby is not just a blob of cells like they've been told and know that they are killing a human being.

This argument about penetration is a diversion. The abortion procedure itself is extremely invasive in this regard. The ultrasound is the least of it.
Exactly. The abortion is much more invasive than an ultrasound and can give women real information about what is to happen.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:34 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personanongrata View Post
And she can choose C - leave the state and obtain an abortion without the ultrasound and all of the above chaos.
I'd like to know how a woman has an abortion without being penetrated? Do they pull the baby out her nose?

Old Feb 19, '12, 7:06 pm

Quote:

Even chemical abortions can require a penetrative procedure. Very often the woman needs a DC, just like after a miscarriage. Also, most women have multiple preventative ultrasounds at various stages before having a baby.

Old Feb 19, '12, 7:11 pm
Veteran Member

The "doctor" performing the abortion normally needs to date the pregnancy, to ascertain how large the child is and what type of procedure to use.

That is done by sonogram.

The real problem that makes opponents of the law upset is that now mothers will see their children.

My DD was 8 weeks gestation when I had my dating sono, which means she was 6 weeks after conception.

She had a head, body, eyes, arm buds visible and a rapidly beating little heart.

Is it ok to kill babies this size and development and call it a choice?

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:35 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 7:12 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
Even chemical abortions can require a penetrative procedure. Very often the woman needs a DC, just like after a miscarriage. Also, most women have multiple preventative ultrasounds at various stages before having a baby.
Chemical abortions need to happen before 9 weeks. In order to make sure the baby is younger than 9 weeks, they must perform a sono.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:35 am.
Old Feb 19, '12, 9:45 pm

Quote:
1. Abortions can be chemical. No penetrative procedure required. So how do they gt the chemical in there? Hypnosis? B TW, by chemical I presume you mean poison, or other death dealing substance?
Quote:
Difference = choice
So if you choose to have an abortion in the states that require an ultrasound, then you are also choosing to have an untrasound as required. True?

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:36 am.
Old Feb 20, '12, 1:06 am

She's choosing to get an abortion, the ultrasound is part of the package. (Should we be upset that she is "forced" to have a doctor perform the abortion procedure? That she is "forced" to have the procedure done in a clinic?)

I had pelvic surgery a couple years back, and I was "forced" to get one of those ultrasounds immediately before, despite the fact that I didn't want it. It was part of the package, and I couldn't get the surgery without it. (Doctors don't like to go in there blind.)

It's an extremely common medical procedure and I think comparing it to rape is over-the-top.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:36 am.
Old Feb 20, '12, 1:18 am

As has already been stated, abortionists use transvaginal ultrasounds to confirm a pregnancy and assess how far into the pregnancy the woman is. The only difference is the direction in which the monitor will be pointed.

You can read about transvaginal ultrasound from this "Provider's Guide to Medical Abortion" here:

http://www.prochoice.org/education/c...trasound.asp#3

Jill Stanek's responded to the "controversy" on her website:

"Furthermore, do abortion proponents really want to “go there” on the topic of vaginal intrusion and rape?

If anything, it is an abortion that is comparable to rape. Abortion is an act of violence, both against the baby and her mother. Abortion is painful, bloody, and involves sharp instruments, certainly much more comparable to forcible rape than an innocuous ultrasound probe"

The full response is here: http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/02/ab...ion-with-rape/

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Feb 20, '12 at 10:37 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice