Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, '12, 2:27 pm

Religion: Considering Anglican Church in North America
Default Re: Is the bible inerrant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marocchino View Post
The Bible is absolutely innerant. There are no errors of facts at all. For sound Catholic hermeneutical principles, refer to Providentissimus deus (Leo XIII), the replies of the Pontifical Biblical Commission (ratified by St Pius X), Spiritus paraclitus (Benedict XV), Divino afflante spiritu (Pius XII), and Dei verbum (Vatican II).

Asserting that the Bible contains scientific and historical errors is a Modernist misinterpretation of Dei verbum 11, is heretical, and is an affront to God (since it attributes to the Holy Spirit an officious lie).

Thank God for His innerant, infallible, inspired written Word, preserved from any error for the sake of our salvation.
Marocchino,

Which Bible translation is the inerrant one? They don't all say the same thing.

Anna
Old Feb 21, '12, 2:49 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
=GaryTaylor;8987243]

And who preservered this innerant Bible? Ah that would be the ECFs of the Catholic Church in agreement thus the canons. And all this while the Church/Eucharist was in operation, amazing history really.
There is really no disputing this. Even Luther credits the Catholic Church for this.

Quote:
Oh...and then came the Bible.
Gary, this excludes the OT, if we view it this way. Additionally, the writings of the NT were available.

Quote:
The New Covenant of the NT is the Eucharist. Matthew 14:24 - And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.

And he said unto them,.... Not after they had drank of it, but before, and as he gave it to them: this is my blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many; in Matthew it is added, "for the remission of sins";

And for 2000 year that has been what? Perhaps those ECFs who were in total agreement on this inerrant Bible were wrong about this???????????????

Quote:
Peace
and also with you.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Feb 21, '12, 3:18 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
Salutations to all.

In a recent thread the subject of the bible being inerrant came up. It was shared by a participant in that thread that it might be more suitable to have a new thread on the subject.

So what do you think? Any thoughts and opinions?

Thank you.
The bible becomes inerrant when taught and read in the Holy Spirit.

The bible becomes a subject of misunderstanding, contradictions, error when read by those without the Holy Spirit to teach or guide them in all revealed Truth.

The disciples who were learned Jews since childhood of the scriptures could not interpret the scripture until Jesus taught them who is the Word of God made flesh.

Luke 24: 27 Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them what referred to him in ALL the scriptures....45 Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures...

The 2000 year old Catholic Church was handed down to her from the Apostles what Jesus taught and revealed to them, along with the promise of the Holy Spirit to remind them of the Truth. When Jesus promised to be with His Church to the end of time.

In short you need a teacher to read the bible, John 6:45 It is written in the prophets; "they shall all be taught by God"...

The New Testament Gospels and Catholic Letters reveals the Old Testament
Old Feb 21, '12, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel of 12 View Post
The bible becomes inerrant when taught and read in the Holy Spirit.

The bible becomes a subject of misunderstanding, contradictions, error when read by those without the Holy Spirit to teach or guide them in all revealed Truth.

The disciples who were learned Jews since childhood of the scriptures could not interpret the scripture until Jesus taught them who is the Word of God made flesh.

Luke 24: 27 Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them what referred to him in ALL the scriptures....45 Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures...

The 2000 year old Catholic Church was handed down to her from the Apostles what Jesus taught and revealed to them, along with the promise of the Holy Spirit to remind them of the Truth. When Jesus promised to be with His Church to the end of time.

In short you need a teacher to read the bible, John 6:45 It is written in the prophets; "they shall all be taught by God"...

The New Testament Gospels and Catholic Letters reveals the Old Testament
Gabriel,
I understand the role of Tradition.

You said, "The Bible becomes inerrant when taught and read in the Holy Spirit." Do you ever read Scripture and pray for the Holy Spirit to speak to you through the Word of God, or do you leave that entirely to the Magisterium?

Peace,
Anna
Old Feb 22, '12, 5:35 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
Gabriel,
I understand the role of Tradition.

You said, "The Bible becomes inerrant when taught and read in the Holy Spirit." Do you ever read Scripture and pray for the Holy Spirit to speak to you through the Word of God, or do you leave that entirely to the Magisterium?

Peace,
Anna

In private reading and meditations, yes I come away with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit who reveals to me things that apply to me personally.

Although these private readings and meditations does not give me any authority to go start my own church and apply them to the public at large.

Many times I can measure my private readings to the teachings of the Magisterium revealed from the teachings of Christ and his apostles, from the same readings and find Truth because my private reading does not conflict with the teachings of the Church. This wins my confidence from my private revelations, as a witness per say from the Church.

When the magisterium teaches from scripture, these public teachings are for the whole body of Christ which is the Church and not a private revelation but a public revelation of Jesus Christ teachings supported by his apostles and apostolic successors.

Catholics have the liberty to read scripture and arrive at personal and private revelations. We can also measure our private readings and revelations with the teachings of the Church. It is a great comfort when there is found unity support from Church teachings measured to ones private reading and revelations.

How about you? Do you recieve guidance and private revelations from scriptural readings and prayer? If you do? Do you believe your revelations are for the public or private only?
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:06 pm

Quote:
In private reading and meditations, yes I come away with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit who reveals to me things that apply to me personally.
Glad to hear that. Sometimes, Catholics speak as if the Word of God is nothing without the teaching of the CC to illuminate it.

Quote:
Although these private readings and meditations does not give me any authority to go start my own church and apply them to the public at large.

Many times I can measure my private readings to the teachings of the Magisterium revealed from the teachings of Christ and his apostles, from the same readings and find Truth because my private reading does not conflict with the teachings of the Church. This wins my confidence from my private revelations, as a witness per say from the Church.
You are a faithful Catholic.

Quote:
When the magisterium teaches from scripture, these public teachings are for the whole body of Christ which is the Church and not a private revelation but a public revelation of Jesus Christ teachings supported by his apostles and apostolic successors.
Quote:
Catholics have the liberty to read scripture and arrive at personal and private revelations. We can also measure our private readings and revelations with the teachings of the Church. It is a great comfort when there is found unity support from Church teachings measured to ones private reading and revelations.
I understand this is the Catholic view.

Quote:
How about you? Do you recieve guidance and private revelations from scriptural readings and prayer? If you do? Do you believe your revelations are for the public or private only?
Yes. I share things with others, but the only public forum is here.

Thanks for answering my question, Gabriel. You are very kind.

Peace,
Anna
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions