Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '12, 1:32 pm

Default Birthdays during Lent

To those of you who have birthdays during Lent (or have children who do): how do you celebrate?

Growing up my birthday parties were usually on the Friday closest to my actual birthday and my mom made tuna casserole. But now as an adult I stuggle with how to observe Lent and celebrate my birthdays or let others celebrate with me, rather.

I haven't totally decided on what I'm giving up but I'm pretty sure what I will be doing for my birthday will be what I'm giving up (eating out/going to movies...maybe). I don't discuss what I do or give up for Lent but what if this comes up? I don't want to mislead others or make them feel guilty so if I know how to talk about this it would help.

I go throught this every year and I'd like to reconcile these two things once and for all.
Old Feb 21, '12, 1:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Birthdays during Lent

My b day falls during Lent too.I guess I am old enough,that it isn't that important to me to celabrate in any special way.Another thought,think of this as an opportunity to sacrifice during Lent,by denying yourself a birthday celebration.
Old Feb 21, '12, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
My b day falls during Lent too.I guess I am old enough,that it isn't that important to me to celabrate in any special way.Another thought,think of this as an opportunity to sacrifice during Lent,by denying yourself a birthday celebration.
I really don't care if I celebrate it or not. I'm pretty low key about most holidays. However, when I celebrate with others I'm not sure what I should do. Some friends want to do something for/with me and I don't know if I should point out that the day they want to do it is during Lent AND in this case on a Friday. One person is taking the day off from work, too. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Old Feb 21, '12, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruised Reed View Post
I really don't care if I celebrate it or not. I'm pretty low key about most holidays. However, when I celebrate with others I'm not sure what I should do. Some friends want to do something for/with me and I don't know if I should point out that the day they want to do it is during Lent AND in this case on a Friday. One person is taking the day off from work, too. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
How about postponing your celebration until the following Sunday?Sunday's are not held to Lenten practices
Old Feb 21, '12, 2:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

Quote:
How about postponing your celebration until the following Sunday?Sunday's are not held to Lenten practices
that's what we do in my family, there's a few birthdays that fall in lent, and we just celebrate them on the following Sunday.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Feb 21, '12, 2:27 pm

Religion: Catholic

I have a birthday during Lent but I am not giving anything up - I am adding spiritual practices. It would probably be a problem if my birthday fell on a Friday but it does not thank goodness.

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old Feb 21, '12, 2:47 pm

Quote:
If I were the one doing the inviting and taking time off of work this might be a no-brainer. I need to be a little more sure I'm not insulting someone before I suggest changing their plans so looking for a little more information.

If there was a hard and fast rule that said "no celebrating birthdays during Lent" I would have something to go on. We have a rule about not eating meat so I/we won't eat meat. But there isn't a rule about eating cake on Fridays (in the Latin rite anyway).

I don't want my personal peity to make someone feel bad about doing something kind. So I feel torn: just go with it for one day (and not say anything) and resume Lenten practice once I get home or say something and maybe hurt someone's feelings.

Also, I've already had to nix one plan (pedicures - my back went out so I can't do this) and I'm starting to feel like a real buzzkill about one stupid day.

I'll be better prepared for next year anyway.
Old Feb 21, '12, 3:01 pm

think of it as extra time off purgatory

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Feb 21, '12, 3:16 pm
Prayer Warrior

I know "if" I had a Birthday during Lent outside of Sunday I'd post phone it until Sunday.
I think its more personal than anything else. I'm doubly sure nobody would incur a sin if they did break the Lenten Fast if they did celebrate their birthday.

What about Irish Catholics who like to wing-it-up on Saint Patrick's Day March 17th?
might their be a temporary dispensation in order for that day?

Not sure how it is for American Catholics but in Canada Saint Patrick's Day is ("not") an official liturgical Feast Day in the Ordo. Possibly optional.
Old Feb 21, '12, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholictiger View Post
think of it as extra time off purgatory
Are you referring to the agony of trying to figure this out? Yes, I would agree! I'm offering it up.
Old Feb 21, '12, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruised Reed View Post
Are you referring to the agony of trying to figure this out? Yes, I would agree! I'm offering it up.
saying the sacrifices you may have to make on your birthday during lent will knock some time off purgatory.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Old Feb 21, '12, 4:24 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
My birthday is almost always in Lent. I have never subscribed to the Sunday off practice. Unless my birthday falls on Ash Wednesday or on a Friday, it's my day off. I try to balance giving things up and doing positive spiritual activities so a day off from the "giving up" isn't a day off from Lenten practices entirely. As a personal devotion, you follow whatever rules you set for yourself.

While the traditional way to do "giving up" is for the entirety of Lent, with or without Sundays, I hear more and more about people putting variety in their abstinences. For example, you might give up candy one week, coffee the next and alcohol the week after that. Or there are even some who give up one thing on Mondays in Lent, something else on the Tuesdays, etc. If you want to try that, you can just make sure that giving up cake and ice cream isn't going to be on the week/day on which your birthday falls.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Blessed Pope John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Feb 21, '12, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
My birthday is almost always in Lent. I have never subscribed to the Sunday off practice. Unless my birthday falls on Ash Wednesday or on a Friday, it's my day off. I try to balance giving things up and doing positive spiritual activities so a day off from the "giving up" isn't a day off from Lenten practices entirely. As a personal devotion, you follow whatever rules you set for yourself.

While the traditional way to do "giving up" is for the entirety of Lent, with or without Sundays, I hear more and more about people putting variety in their abstinences. For example, you might give up candy one week, coffee the next and alcohol the week after that. Or there are even some who give up one thing on Mondays in Lent, something else on the Tuesdays, etc. If you want to try that, you can just make sure that giving up cake and ice cream isn't going to be on the week/day on which your birthday falls.
I say as long as you're days off don't grow you away from God then go for it

Old Feb 21, '12, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post

Interesting. I think switching it up would help in being mindful of Lent. I've noticed that if I give up TV for example, I get used to it and don't miss it so much and it isn't as much of a sacrifice. Or doesn't feel like it.

For what it's worth I gave of TV a Lent or two ago and got rid of cable and haven't gone back. I read a lot more as a result. I'm thinking of making this Lent about spiritual reading only.
Old Feb 21, '12, 4:33 pm

I forgot to say thank you to everyone who responded. I'm still open to others thoughts.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality