Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 23, '12, 5:27 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic Bibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK100 View Post
I think it would be nice to be able to start giving away more Catholic bibles. The issue I have seen is a Catholic bible is almost always 2X the cost of a protestant one. For instance I can go into a dollar store and get KJV of the bible but the cheapest catholic bible I can find is $2.35. That difference adds up after a while. However if the OP is serious about handing out bibles (I have actually thought about doing this) they should check out this site:

http://www.bibles.com//ProductSearch...atholic+bibles

It has the cheapest Catholic bibles I have yet to find on the web.

If the OP is serious PM me and maybe we can figure out a way to start our own free bible ministry.
These Bibles are printed by American Bible Society, you may want to check them out they may give you a better price, and notice that some of the really low price ones are new testaments only.
Old Jan 24, '12, 12:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCajun View Post
These Bibles are printed by American Bible Society, you may want to check them out they may give you a better price, and notice that some of the really low price ones are new testaments only.
Okay back from my hellish trip complete with a combined delay time of over 12 hours. 4 of which were do to a leaky coffee pot. (I am not kidding.)

Anyway... thanks for the info CatholicCajun, I will have to look into the publisher directly if I can get a bulk price anywhere below $2.00 I might just go ahead buy some and see if I can give them out for free. That website I listed was selling GNT for $2.35 a piece. I don't know of any site that gives a price like that for RSV versions -- which I feel would be the ideal version.

I know somebody wanted to print his own but I have know idea how much buying the publishing rights would be.

I also agree that giving free ones to the military would be ideal and probably also to prisioners. I would be nice depending on what is decided to also include pamphlets that explain the faith that you can ship with the bibles so that there is some explaination of the the Catholic Faith as well. As we all know the bible doesn't really explain itself and the reader needs the correct guidance. These are just some ideas.
Old Jan 25, '12, 9:03 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Sounds bueno. I may still know some folks at I.P. Let me ask if there is something they can do. At $2 , how many could you get?

Maybe CajunCatholic would want to hand some out on St. Joseph's day in New Orleans if he ever gets that far up the bayou..
Old Jan 25, '12, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasErlibnis View Post
Sounds bueno. I may still know some folks at I.P. Let me ask if there is something they can do. At $2 , how many could you get?

Maybe CajunCatholic would want to hand some out on St. Joseph's day in New Orleans if he ever gets that far up the bayou..
Well, Bibles.com is run by the American Bible society so their bulk price for Catholic GNT bibles is $2.35. Not sure how much shipping is.
Old Jan 28, '12, 11:10 am

I think we need better free Bibles available as apps and available online. When I was looking for a free Bible app that included ALL the books I had a hard time finding one. There are a million free protestant bible apps but very few NAB apps for free.
Old Jan 28, '12, 11:17 am

This thread furthers my desire to one day be wealthy enough to live off of my investments and spend my days seeking ways to help people and the Church. If I become a "wealthy benefactor" one day I can buy TONS of Bibles for anyone here that wants to pass them out and give them away as much as possible. It's a goal of mine. I don't know how I will get there, but I aspire to a life where I can spend my days not worrying about my own finances and not working a 9-5 job to support myself so that I can spend that time looking for ways to further pro-life work and the Church.

I have every intention to also lurk in grocery stores looking for people in need so I can buy their groceries anonymously. I think that would be ridiculously fun.

If I reach my goal one day I will keep this Bible idea in mind!
Old Jan 30, '12, 5:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcoffee View Post
I think we need better free Bibles available as apps and available online. When I was looking for a free Bible app that included ALL the books I had a hard time finding one. There are a million free protestant bible apps but very few NAB apps for free.
I know you can get free or very low priced e-bibles from Barnes and Noble. I also did see some bible apps when surfing around online. I will see if I can find them again.
Old Jan 30, '12, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK100 View Post
I know you can get free or very low priced e-bibles from Barnes and Noble. I also did see some bible apps when surfing around online. I will see if I can find them again.
Here are a few....

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bible...372987619?mt=8
http://www.catholiciphone.com/Cathol...e/Welcome.html
http://cantuar.blogspot.com/2011/10/...bible-app.html
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ichael-potemra

This was actually a quick search. I googled Catholic bible apps and you get a ton.
Old Feb 2, '12, 5:07 am

Okay, I feel like I am starting to have a conversation by myself now.

However, the other thought I had would be to buy used bibles from bookstores online and then ship them that way. I have seen on some sights you can buy a used bible for $1-2 and ship it for $2-3. This is slightly less than buying a new bible and shipping it with the post office (which I have priced around at least $5-7). So that might be another route to take for a bible ministry project. People send you their request then you basically buy it for them putting their address as the shipping address.

The other thing I thought about was doing "gift certificate" for a bible only. Set up a deal with a supplier who will sell and ship a bible for $X. Then whoever requests a bible through you,you send them a gift card/certificate through email (mail if you want) good for only the purchase of the bible you negotiated with the store and no other book. That way you wouldn't have to worry about shipping costs at all as you would if you were to purchase wholesale bibles. Instead of having to pay shipping to get the bibles to you and then shipping to get the bibles to the requesting person you would get the bibles sent directly only costing you one shipping charge and hopefully minimizing costs..

Just some thoughts.
Old Feb 21, '12, 10:05 pm

Just had another thought about cutting down costs on shipping for a free bible ministry. The Post Office allows discounts for media shipping to non-profit organizations. My thought would be to hook up with your local parish and see if they would let you use their nonprofit ID number to ship the books. You would just have to start a "bible ministry" at your church to be eligable. What do you think Das?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization