Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 8, '12, 1:27 pm

Religion: Orthodox (In communion with Rome)
Default Stress and help needed finding income from home

I could use some prayers and advice (and leads if anyone knows of any!)

I just had a baby in the beginning of January and it feels as though my maternity if quickly slipping by. I really don't want to have to go back to work at the end of these twelve weeks, but we will be in a very poor financial situation if I do not. I have been searching for months for ways to bring in money from home. I have found one small job ghost writing blog articles for a company, but need to at least double what I am getting from them.

It is so frustrating because I do believe I am a decent writer (I have had articles published and I have the one steady writing job), I can type correctly and quickly, I have administrative skills, foreign language skills, Im learning seo, I have a bachelor's degree, ect but I can't seem to find anything.

Of course everyone wants to work from home, but I feel a special urgency because if I don't find something soon the day may come soon when my daughter would have to go to a day care (obviously I have nothing against parents who do use day care, and there are quality ones out there, but for a variety of reasons - two large ones being the lack of quality places we could afford around here, and that my mom was able to stay home with me). Does anyone have any advice or ideas about how to find something? And of course, prayers are much appreciated...
Old Feb 8, '12, 3:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Stress and help needed finding income from home

I don't know if I have any ideas for you, but I can add you to my prayers. I hope that you will find something that will allow you to stay home with your baby.

Oh, here's one idea: Have you done any document translation? I hear there is a need for that skill, if you have a foreign language.

Maybe you could tutor young people in writing? You could do that in your own hours, and charge your own fee for it.
Old Feb 8, '12, 4:05 pm

Proofreading. There's a site - you don't have to pay -- with suggestions on how to find proofreading work.

If you search google on "proofreaders from home" it may be the first to come up. She suggests ways to make contacts, you have to start with volunteering to build up that client base. Start with asking the Church if you can proof read for them on a volunteer basis. Check with colleges and universities and you might be able to post on the college message board that you offer tutoring in writing too. Use the first few clients as references. Make up professional looking business cards and brochures.

I gather I am not to post links. But there is a site where you can have professional business cards, etc. printed up for very little money. You can PM me.
-- Douay Rheims, Jeremiah 29:11
Old Feb 8, '12, 5:59 pm

Religion: Catholic

Try copywriting, medical transcription, transcribing audio / court reporting, transcribing meeting minutes from audio, etc. Also preparing slides and powerpoint presentations via the Internet. There may be a way to link up to record broadcast events that you can replay and then type the transcript.

Write monthly newsletters for small businesses, apartment complexes, etc.
Old Feb 8, '12, 7:27 pm
Forum Elder

if you don't already have one, set up a profile on LinkedIn.com and the search Freelance Writer under the Groups option. There are a TON of groups. Join the groups. Group members can give you leads, and they post discussions on the group board and jobs also.

There is a difference betwween "working from home" and a "home based business".

Employers who employ teleworkers are going to expect you to have regular office hours, child care, etc. Woking from home is typically a full time endeavor. There are part time options. There are some call centers that employ teleworkers such as Alpine Access.

A home based business means you are self employed and working as a contractor or consultant. This will take more work, because you are building a business. Your hours will be flexible, and your writing skills definitely lend themselves to this sort of work. Don't expect to replace a full time salary when you are not working full time hours. Most consultants I know work a ton of hours trying to build their business and complete client projects.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 10, '12, 4:51 pm

Religion: Orthodox (In communion with Rome)

Wow, thanks everyone! Some great suggestions, and I am definitely going to be looking into them. Freelance consulting sounds as though it would be a perfect fit... I just need to start building a client base.

1ke - I actually am on LinkedIn, I will definitely look into the groups you suggested
Old Feb 10, '12, 6:22 pm

Religion: Silenced.

I work from home...the novelty wears off fast I assure you.
Old Feb 10, '12, 11:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian
Smile Re: Stress and help needed finding income from home

My Mom made a good living having her own in home daycare. It allowed her to be a stay at home Mom and bring in money to help support the family at the same time.
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:26 am

I've made a living off of working at home in the past.

It's not exactly easy, but here is the best resource you're going to find:
Adventures of Working At Home. . Miranda is great, she posts a ton of job leads every week on this website.

Good luck!
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:39 am

Its not an income source, but in the past few months my wife has really got into couponing. She spends a few hours each day checking websites and making calculations, and has been able to cut our grocery bill in half, and between special offer prices, rewards points and coupons, we basically pay nothing for drug store goods now. We don't have kids, but I know there are always coupons for diapers and baby formula too.

It isn't an income generator, but it is an expenditure reducer, and it can make a big difference if you already have one income.
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieberman1 View Post
My Mom made a good living having her own in home daycare. It allowed her to be a stay at home Mom and bring in money to help support the family at the same time.
That's a resource every community needs. Some people just need part time daycare as well, say from the time school lets out until a few hours later until mom or dad can pick them up after work. One of my co-workers is going to have to look for another job because her hours have changed from 8 hours to 12 hour-shifts three days a week. She used to leave work at 3pm to pick up her two boys, but shortly won't be able to leave until 7pm. She's desperate to find someone affordable who can pick up her kids from school and watch them for the few hours she can't be there. Why not consider helping out some of the folks who only need that much help? Also consider maybe sitting for an elderly person. Some of them are quite self sufficient, but just can't be left alone at home anymore.
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:48 am

Many people who work long hours might need someone to walk or let out their pets? Seems trivial if you don't have them, but it's something you could bring your baby along to do, and you'd be helping someone out. Kind of an act of mercy for some folks And at the same time earning some cash?

I don't know where you live or how big your property/house, but what about pet sitting? Again, sounds trivial to those who don't have pets, but I've been asked several times to watch people's animals and when I can't do it, I look for someone who can help out.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014