Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How much of a sin is it to deny climate change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdscheirer View Post
Why is it the first "global warming" alarmist happened to be the same NASA "scientist" that led the call in the late 1970's about the coming Ice Age.
Only a very small handful of scientists were speculating that an Ice Age would be starting -- it seemed there had been a cooling trend in decade leading up to the 70s, but later data showed that climate had not been cooling. There was also several other issues being discussed -- such as nuclear winter and the cooling affect of aerosols (often emitted when GHGs are emitted). The vast majority of climate scientists in the 70s were predicting warming, not cooling. However, it seems the media went hog-wild with the cooling story.

Since then science as advanced, along with better data and computer power. I seriously doubt any of the scientists predicting cooling in the 70s are predicting it now.

See: http://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-...s-in-1970s.htm

The innuendo that Dr. James Hansen, the NASA climate scientist you seem to refer to, made any cooling trend or ice age predictions is totally false. It was a scientist named Rasool, using Hansen's computer model and inputting an unrealistic 8-fold increase in aerosols, who predicted it; not Hansen. See http://www.skepticalscience.com/news.php?n=11

When you want to impugn the reputation of a person, it's important to get the facts straight...and also not judge his/her 40 year old claims by today's scientific evidence/data and standards in science.

I'll also try not to make false claims about denialists. I think in this thread I've come to understand and respect their sincerity in not accepting anthropogenic climate change; they are not all or even mostly evil shills of the fossil fuel industry, but truly sincere and concerned that mitigating climate change (or passing laws that strive to encourage people to mitigate) will in some way be harmful. ((I just think those laws would be ineffective in reducing ACC.....assuming they ever get passed or come up for legislative consideration. The only thing that will work is if enough people & businesses actually start reducing their GHG emissions.))

"Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."
-- St. Francis of Assisi

"I want to spend my Heaven doing good on Earth."
-- St. Therese of the Child Jesus

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice