Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '12, 11:41 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Rites of Sendng and Election for Catholic Adult Seeking Confirmation?

Hello everyone,

I missed Confirmation as a teenager and I'm preparing to receive the Holy Spirit and complete my initiation rites. I've been participating in RCIA classes since September. I'm a cradle Catholic, received Reconciliation and First Communion, was married in the Church, and actively practice my faith. I believe my inclusion in RCIA is due to resource limitations in my parish.

My questions are about the Rites of Sending and Election that are to be observed this weekend. According to my understanding of the Rites and reading of my diocese's 2012 Rite of Election documents, the Rite of Election is for catechumens entering the Church and the Call to Continuing Conversion is not for adults only seeking confirmation. Am I required to attend the Rites of Sending and Election to complete my Confirmation? Can my parish withhold Confirmation if I do not participate? Unfortunately my pastor and my RCIA leaders have not been forthcoming with answers to my questions.

I am very confused about where I fit in the entire RCIA process. I don't believe these Rites apply to me. I know how much work my RCIA leaders put into their instruction and I appreciate their enthusiasm, but I also feel uncomfortable participating in Rites that are specifically for those entering the faith.

Thank you for letting me ask my questions, and please forgive me if I have posted to the wrong forum.

CC
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (ex-Protestant)
Default Re: Rites of Sendng and Election for Catholic Adult Seeking Confirmation?

The Rite of Sending is for those still seeking baptism as far as I know, along with almost everything else that you have already received. You should not need to participate.

Ah Lord! do not withdraw,
Lest want of aw
Make Sinne appeare;
And when thou dost but shine lesse cleare,
Say, that thou art not here.

George Herbert, "A Parodie"
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:31 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Rites of Sendng and Election for Catholic Adult Seeking Confirmation?

RCIA is not intended for Catholics seeking Confirmation...but it is used that way in various parishes.

You're correct that the Rite of Election is for catechumens. Clearly you don't fit into that category.

You don't say what country you're from. Here is the info on the Call to Continuing Conversion from the US version of the ritual text:
446. This rite may be celebrated with baptized but previously uncatechized adults who wish to complete their Christian initiation through the sacraments of confirmation and eucharist or who wish to be received into the full communion of the Catholic Church.

447. The rite is intended for celebrations in communities where there are no catechumens.

448. The rite is celebrated at the beginning of Lent. The presiding celebrant is the pastor of the parish.

449. If the calling of candidates to continuing conversion is to be combined with the rite of election of catechumens (either in a parish celebration or at one in which the bishop is celebrant) the alernate rite given on page 315 (Appendix I, 3) is used.
The best advice I can give you is to talk with your RCIA team and follow their directions.
Old Feb 27, '12, 12:28 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

Thank you for your answers. I'm actually going to leave RCIA in my home parish attend an adult confirmation class in a neighboring parish. I feel that this class will meet my spiritual needs far better.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization