Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '12, 9:39 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: US apologizes for Quran burnings in Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
You think it's an embarrassment to apologize for offending someone's religious faith inside their own country? Even if the Bibles had to be destroyed for the inscriptions they contained, it should have been done in a manner acceptable to Muslims. I know Protestants who still hold "Bible burning" against Catholics, though I'm not sure those charges are even historically accurate.

Yes, I do.....and I am still waiting for an apology from him in stepping all over our religious beliefs with this horrible mandate. He basically told people of the Christian faith (and all faiths actually) to go to _ _ _ _. And I am waiting for a correction. But will I get that? When _ _ _ _ freezes over I might. But, he is quicker than a NY second in apologizing to the Muslim faithful. Even to the point of punishing the offenders! He infuriates me. And yes, he is an embarassment.
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarin View Post
Also, from what I've heard, most Afghans are illiterate and have only the foggiest notions about why foreign troops are there. Even if they weren't illiterate there's not a lot of high-quality information getting to them. So I would imagine that in those circumstances it's easy to get a mob riled up over hearsay, even if it's not an accurate impression of the truth.
That's one issue. But the other issue is that whatever the foreigners claim to be, they look like armed goons and behave like armed goons. When a military convoy travels on a road, for example, they can shoot at any vehicle they consider a threat or which does not get out of their way. Those tactics are there to protect the foreign soldiers but no local in his right mind would condone them when he is on the receiving end of chewing gun chewing, sunglasses wearing cowboys. It's difficult to get this through to people who've never been occupied, but it's easy for someone like me who had to bow to Soviet soldiers. And the Soviet soldiers looked at us and wondered why we weren't kissing their butts and throwing roses at them at every instance.
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelynn View Post
Yes, I do.....and I am still waiting for an apology from him in stepping all over our religious beliefs with this horrible mandate. He basically told people of the Christian faith (and all faiths actually) to go to _ _ _ _. And I am waiting for a correction. But will I get that? When _ _ _ _ freezes over I might. But, he is quicker than a NY second in apologizing to the Muslim faithful. Even to the point of punishing the offenders! He infuriates me. And yes, he is an embarassment.
And although it's none of my business I say I agree with you. Christianity does deserve far more respect in the West.
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenofovir View Post
That's one issue. But the other issue is that whatever the foreigners claim to be, they look like armed goons and behave like armed goons. When a military convoy travels on a road, for example, they can shoot at any vehicle they consider a threat or which does not get out of their way. Those tactics are there to protect the foreign soldiers but no local in his right mind would condone them when he is on the receiving end of chewing gun chewing, sunglasses wearing cowboys. It's difficult to get this through to people who've never been occupied, but it's easy for someone like me who had to bow to Soviet soldiers. And the Soviet soldiers looked at us and wondered why we weren't kissing their butts and throwing roses at them at every instance.
Your disrespect of the NATO forces is duly noted.

So is your comparison of them to Soviet soldiers.
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:07 am

Quote:
Amen!

I pray every day that the people of the US get rid of this embarassing and offensive individual come November. Thank you Teelynn for stating what I couldn't without violating forum rules.
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:21 am
Forum Master

Quote:
You're welcome to your opinion. The President was not the one who burned the Qu'rans but he has the common decency to try to defuse a situation that placed troops at risk. Of course if you see life in black and white terms of good people and evil people then nothing that some people do would ever be good and no offense against certain others could never be wrong. My Catholic upbringing taught me that the struggle between good and evil takes place to different degrees and in different ways within every human life. I for one am happy that the President in this instance, valued human life over empty human pride.
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenofovir View Post
Was that in Hungary, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrefreshed View Post
No. The Taliban benefited from the trade.
I read somewhere that they burned all the poppy fields when they were in charge because it was against their religious convictions. Could be wrong though.
Old Feb 23, '12, 11:26 am

Quote:
You're welcome to your opinion. The President was not the one who burned the Qu'rans but he has the common decency to try to defuse a situation that placed troops at risk. Of course if you see life in black and white terms of good people and evil people then nothing that some people do would ever be good and no offense against certain others could never be wrong. My Catholic upbringing taught me that the struggle between good and evil takes place to different degrees and in different ways within every human life. I for one am happy that the President in this instance, valued human life over empty human pride.
Yes, I would expect any President of the US to apologize in order top protect our troops! But, I also expect ANY PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to defend the right to religious freedom over "abortion rights." He is being bull headed about doing anything to correct this egregious attack on religious freedom right here in his own country, and by his own doing. He is being hypocritical to the MAX. Anyone who cannot see that is delusional.
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:
Yes, I would expect any President of the US to apologize in order top protect our troops! But, I also expect ANY PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to defend the right to religious freedom over "abortion rights." He is being bull headed about doing anything to correct this egregious attack on religious freedom right here in his own country, and by his own doing. He is being hypocritical to the MAX. Anyone who cannot see that is delusional.
Apparently the President's apology delivered today was one of serveral for this one event. The others were issued by Afghanistan commander Gen. John Allen, NATO's International Security Assistance Force and other Pentagon officials.

According to Nina Shea, who is on the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, the constant apologies feed into their sense of victimhood.

These are being hey are being used to fan the flames of outrage and violence. We will see what Friday prayers bring.
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrefreshed View Post
Agreed. They've shown you over the last three days how they solve their problems! Rioting.

They are taking notes from the OWS folks. Look for the OMP (Occupy Mountain Pass) movement to start gaining ground.
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui est ce View Post
Apparently the President's apology delivered today was one of serveral for this one event. The others were issued by Afghanistan commander Gen. John Allen, NATO's International Security Assistance Force and other Pentagon officials.

According to Nina Shea, who is on the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, the constant apologies feed into their sense of victimhood.

These are being hey are being used to fan the flames of outrage and violence. We will see what Friday prayers bring.
Here's is Gen. Allen's apology - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1zDnmiSG9c
Old Feb 23, '12, 1:57 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
You seem a mite confused...first you objected to the apology, now you're simply ranting about the president. I fully understand how hard it is to conceal strong emotions, but it is important to always remember that sinful actions or attitudes may be be legitimate objects of hatred - never people...
Old Feb 23, '12, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringil View Post
When and if the US millitary burns Bibles I
assume
we would hear an apology.
WHOO! You do know what three words make up that word ASSUME?
Old Feb 24, '12, 4:08 am

Quote:
You seem a mite confused...first you objected to the apology, now you're simply ranting about the president. I fully understand how hard it is to conceal strong emotions, but it is important to always remember that sinful actions or attitudes may be be legitimate objects of hatred - never people...

Not confused at all......I object to the obviously biased treatment of religions. He is apologizing (as are many other officials as well) to the Muslim faithful in another country, and doing all he can to rectify the situation, but he is basically telling the Christians in his own country where to go. Simple.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News