Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 29, '11, 9:18 am

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Signs in the Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahs View Post
If you are going to make a claim like this, you need to provide some factual basis, some evidence, if you will. The Church's teaching on these matters is clear that such is a violation of the First Commandment.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

More can be found here:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P7E.HTM

The comment you made potentially borders, if not crosses the line, on calumny:

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.277 He becomes guilty:
- of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;
- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them;278
- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

More to be found here:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P8K.HTM
As a free thinker I speak freely on chat groups and don't expect everyone to agree with me. I even try to encourage a dialog by what I say. So please don't let me upset you but please do respond in what ever emotion you wish.

Factual basis as evidence: The New Catholic Encyclopedia reveals that “astrology was used by Pope Julius II [1503-1513] to set the day of his coronation and by Paul III [1534-1549] to determine the proper hour for every Consistory.

I'm not here for writing a book so any more proof you will have to do the research on your own. Google is a good tool to use for such things. You will also find painting of the 12 apostils like what you said Mark, Luke, John and so on, depicted as members of the zodiac. http://www.truthbeknown.com/images/c...lioszodiac.jpg

As for divination… have you even read the Old Testament? Do you know that the Jewish people (the chosen ones who are responsible for creating it) call this collection of books the Torah? The name Tarot cards came from Torah... imagine that?

As far as calumny is concerned well my own church is guilty of that. Why is it wrong to ask questions about what you are being indoctrinated with? Isn't that what this chat group is all about?
Old Feb 23, '12, 2:27 am

Religion: Catholic

The word 'tarot' is unlikely to have derived from the word 'Torah' (despite some claims from more recent times).

As to signs of the zodiac, observe petroglyphs on numerous mediæval cathedrals and simply recognise that these are there as important markers of the solar year.
Old Feb 23, '12, 2:52 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Hello, this is my first post in this forum.

The reason I signed up it's because I have a very serious question about the horoscope or the "zodiac". I have a friend who is a very, very knowledgeable catholic and for some strange reason she also believes that a person born in certain day of the year is likely to act some way, for example "aries think this way, tauros act like that" etc...

She is totally against card readings or the horoscope telling you the future but she does believe in what I said above.

What should she know about the signs of the zodiac?
I can't say whether the 12 zodiacal signs really signify personality characteristics or not. Personal observation inclines me to the opinion that there is something to it, and I think what your friend is doing is harmless. To believe in such things in a religious way is of course superstition and that is unhealthy and has always been rightly opposed by the Church.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:24 pm

Religion: protestant

I keep away from the occult including astrology. But before you throw the baby out with the bathwater you should check out Jewish Astronomy. Ever hear of the mazzaroth?

Christians see this as relating to the 12 tribes as Moses arranged them around the Tabernacle. They are said to tell the story of Jesus. Never studied this for myself mainly because of low interest. But you may want to check it out.

Larry
Old Oct 25, '12, 8:48 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic Catholic

My God so many misconceptions in this thread.

First of all there were Saints and Popes who defended Astrology.

Saints Zeno,Albert Magnus,and Thomas Aquinas were heavily involved in Astrology and they all emphasized Astrology had an important role in the world.
Pope Sixtus IV and Pope Paul III were astrologers.
Pope Jules II and Pope Leo X supported Astrology's Practice.
Pope Urban VIII had his own astrologer,T ommaso Campanella.
Roger Bacon,a Franciscan priest, wrote comprehensively about Astrology. (as did Magnus and Aquinas).

Some info from

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/magnus.html

There are several books over the Topic of Astrology and Christianity that goes over this that I'm afraid I haven't read it but I'll post quotes soon when I read them.

Secondly so many of the posts here bash Astrology with the same old "the Sun Signs don't match me!!!" argument.

There is far more than mere "Sun Signs" (basically what people would say is your Zodiac such you're a Capricorn,etc...) in Astrology. There is the Moon Sign and Rising Sign which play faarrr more important roles in defining your personality than your Sun Sign.There are also the Planetary placements and their Aspects,the Midheaven, the Decanate, and Degrees and many more which create subtle effects on a person's nature.

You may use me as an example.

I may be a Pisces Sun but I'm 26 ° in the 3rd Decanate. So I don't have so many Piscean Traits. Furthermore I am very vengeful and can be violent as opposed to the stereotypical Pisces thanks to my Moon in Leo 25°(the degree of both Astrolgoers and violent criminals) and Scorpio Rising 8° in the first Decanate (which makes me FAAAARRR more Scorpio than Pisces).

This chart (mine) should show how much more there is to Astrology than mere "Sun Signs" and how complex it can become.

http://piscesadonis.tumblr.com/image/33777239680

And this is just Tropical Astrology. Don't even get me into Vedic Astrology, Chinese Astrology, Constellational Zodiac,and so many of the other systems around.
Old Nov 24, '12, 5:27 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Protestant

I recently visited St. Meinrad Archabbey in South Indiana and was taken aback to find the signs of the Zodiac prominently featured in the art of the Monk's chapter room. The artwork was created in 1942-43 by a Belgian monk, Father Gregory de Wit, who was stranded in the United States during World War II.

I was very curious about the prominent use of these signs.

Last edited by Julian Peters; Nov 27, '12 at 11:13 am. Reason: personal information
Old Nov 25, '12, 6:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Adonis View Post
My God so many misconceptions in this thread.

First of all there were Saints and Popes who defended Astrology.

Saints Zeno,Albert Magnus,and Thomas Aquinas were heavily involved in Astrology and they all emphasized Astrology had an important role in the world.
Pope Sixtus IV and Pope Paul III were astrologers.
Pope Jules II and Pope Leo X supported Astrology's Practice.
Pope Urban VIII had his own astrologer, Tommaso Campanella.
Roger Bacon,a Franciscan priest, wrote comprehensively about Astrology. (as did Magnus and Aquinas).

Some info from

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/magnus.html

There are several books over the Topic of Astrology and Christianity that goes over this that I'm afraid I haven't read it but I'll post quotes soon when I read them.

Secondly so many of the posts here bash Astrology with the same old "the Sun Signs don't match me!!!" argument.

There is far more than mere "Sun Signs" (basically what people would say is your Zodiac such you're a Capricorn,etc...) in Astrology. There is the Moon Sign and Rising Sign which play faarrr more important roles in defining your personality than your Sun Sign.There are also the Planetary placements and their Aspects,the Midheaven, the Decanate, and Degrees and many more which create subtle effects on a person's nature.

You may use me as an example.

I may be a Pisces Sun but I'm 26 ° in the 3rd Decanate. So I don't have so many Piscean Traits. Furthermore I am very vengeful and can be violent as opposed to the stereotypical Pisces thanks to my Moon in Leo 25°(the degree of both Astrolgoers and violent criminals) and Scorpio Rising 8° in the first Decanate (which makes me FAAAARRR more Scorpio than Pisces).

This chart (mine) should show how much more there is to Astrology than mere "Sun Signs" and how complex it can become.

http://piscesadonis.tumblr.com/image/33777239680

And this is just Tropical Astrology. Don't even get me into Vedic Astrology, Chinese Astrology, Constellational Zodiac,and so many of the other systems around.
What the original poster was talking about is new age superstitious hocus-pocus, the quoted post is not about a superstition.

I would like to note that while the alignment of the stars can affect the "passions" of the body the spirit is totally immune, the stars might make you want to do something, but they can't make you do something.
Old Nov 25, '12, 1:51 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Roberts View Post
What the original poster was talking about is new age superstitious hocus-pocus, the quoted post is not about a superstition.

I would like to note that while the alignment of the stars can affect the "passions" of the body the spirit is totally immune, the stars might make you want to do something, but they can't make you do something.
i do not see in the original post your words: new age superstitious hocus-pocus! i think you are trying to be offensive with your remarks. unknowingly i'm sure, but you sound ignorant in your knowledge of the subject. please don't take that the wrong way. i have studied this subject for years now and know that the vatican in it's privileged secret library has much information on the subject. much is hidden in symbols and text as parables for the initiated.

here is the original post:
------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I signed up it's because I have a very serious question about the horoscope or the "zodiac". I have a friend who is a very, very knowledgeable catholic and for some strange reason she also believes that a person born in certain day of the year is likely to act some way, for example "aries think this way, tauros act like that" etc...

She is totally against card readings or the horoscope telling you the future but she does believe in what I said above.

Old Nov 25, '12, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by christwithin View Post
i do not see in the original post your words: new age superstitious hocus-pocus! i think you are trying to be offensive with your remarks. unknowingly i'm sure, but you sound ignorant in your knowledge of the subject. please don't take that the wrong way. i have studied this subject for years now and know that the vatican in it's privileged secret library has much information on the subject. much is hidden in symbols and text as parables for the initiated.

here is the original post:
------------------------------------------------------------

The horoscopes in the newspapers and most website are just new age hocus pocus, to do a proper astrology reading requires the year, day and hour (half hour or 15 minutes is better). The alignment of the stars can influence bodily desires, but they can not influence the soul. Most people only have experience with the horoscopes in the paper, those are hocus pocus, they are meaningless whereas Astrology in the Middle Ages was a very serious science.
Old Nov 26, '12, 6:42 pm

A very important Catholic by the name St. Augustine of Hippo wrote that astrology is false, because princes and poor men are born on the same night under the same stars.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology