Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 22, '12, 7:34 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: End of the world!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smswife View Post
From C. S. Lewis' "The World's Last Night":

'Of this folly George MacDonald has written well. “Do those,” he asks, “who say, Lo here or lo there are the signs of his coming, think to be too keen for him and spy his approach? When he tells them to watch lest he find them neglecting their work, they stare this way and that, and watch lest he should succeed in coming like a thief! Obedience is the one key of life.” '

And my thoughts (largely influenced by Lewis):
And really, what practical difference does it make? If we know, or think we know, the day He will return what else would we do but continue to seek and obey His will?
God does not waste words. Jesus gave us signs. So then we must ascertain why. Why did He bother if they are of no use to us?

Here is why: the signs are not for those who are in the light since they do not need them; they are so those who are in the light notice His approach, so that they can warn those still in darkness so that at least some of those too will be saved when He returns.

Therefore, Jesus gave us the signs as an act of mercy for those who are in darkness.
St. Paul says all this, by the way.

God bless you.
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:25 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo96 View Post
Yes I've heard all that, but so many people "prophesy" when the world will end and it doesn't. Plus, these people are taking the most rediculous view of scripture possible. I could make the Bible say whatever I wanted it to if I spent enough time doing it. I'm just tired of always hearing a new "end date" and after it passes and we're all still here, it gets moved back a few months.
I'm with you, jojo96. I think that's why so many Catholics have taken the exact opposite view, that it's wrong and possibly sinful to study the End Times (also known as eschatology). Beehumble has the right approach on this, what might be called Biblical OpSec (Operational Security). OpSec does NOT mean knowing that so-and-so is going to jump out and attack you at a specific time; it means being aware of what is happening around you so that you can be sensitive to the signs that something is about to happen.

“Jesus isn’t only my co-pilot. Sometimes I let him drive.”

Stephen Colbert
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:52 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsnow View Post
Good afternoon, jojo96,

Well, for my two cents' worth, there's a difference between the times and the time. For example, the general time is daylight and the specific time is 4:42PM that I'm writing this.

That is to say, I believe we are in the end times according to all the signs, but none of us know, not even Jesus Christ, the specific time of His return.
Consequently, the author of that Utube video can't possibly know the specific time of Our Lord's return.

God loves you,
Don
Yes, Don, let us pray.

Brothers sisters, did you think that now we even could not know the specific about the new heaven and earth after this world end ? and that it must be very very different from this world everything we know.

it is not we can imagine, if we can imagine what it will be, it will not be true. but we know we shall be very very happy in God new heaven and earth.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thy-K...68729723264050

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence