Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 5, '11, 4:33 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to PazzoGrande
Default Re: WYD 2013 tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
It would have been nice if the Pope chose somewhere in Asia (Japan, Hong Kong, etc) or maybe even Mexico. I just don't see why he would have chosen Rio. Really, really bad call.
I see your point with Mexico; it would at least get more North American guests if it were closer to home. I would imagine it's easier for Latin Americans to go to Mexico than it is for North Americans to go to Brazil too. Though at least from how an American would see it, I would have thought Mexico had worse criminal activity than Brazil, but it's not like I know.
Old Sep 5, '11, 4:37 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PazzoGrande View Post
I see your point with Mexico; it would at least get more North American guests if it were closer to home. I would imagine it's easier for Latin Americans to go to Mexico than it is for North Americans to go to Brazil too. Though at least from how an American would see it, I would have thought Mexico had worse criminal activity than Brazil, but it's not like I know.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind Mexico actually. I've never been to Mexico, but is crime there really that bad? I understand it's no utopia, but it's still "bearable" once you remove the sporadic drug barons. I'm reading about Rio, and I do not like what I'm reading one bit. If you do go to Rio, please stay safe .
Old Sep 5, '11, 8:15 am

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind Mexico actually. I've never been to Mexico, but is crime there really that bad? I understand it's no utopia, but it's still "bearable" once you remove the sporadic drug barons. I'm reading about Rio, and I do not like what I'm reading one bit. If you do go to Rio, please stay safe .
Mexico is fubar...the next big war as told to me by my mentor who trained them.
Old Sep 5, '11, 12:43 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

We slept in a gym with 800 people, which truly did add to the pilgrim-feeling!

It's indeed hard to describe what WYD is like. Our journey had its ups and downs but that's what made it special: having little to no luxury we learned to trust God and to trust each other.

Another tip: bring lots of souvenirs from your country/state! I only brought two and hence only got to exchange with two foreigners, but you really do meet tons of people and it's sooo much fun if you can exchange little items with youth from all over the world!

I'd also advise going with your diocese. They arrange pretty much everything and you'll meet lots of people who live relatively close to you so that you'll be able to visit them even after WYD.

I can really, really recommend WYD to all Catholics. The feeling of pure happiness, togetherness and being close to God, that I experienced so often during the trip, is a feeling I had never encountered before.
Old Sep 6, '11, 7:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Revert to Traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
This is mere speculation on my part, and it's probably too early to tell, but I don't think many Europeans will be at the 2013 WYD. Firstly, the cost for us Europeans will be astronomical. The flight time is also quite lengthy (about 11 hours).

One reason I may not be going is because I have heard that Rio de Janeiro has very high crime rates (e.g. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-...nd.Safety.html ). I always knew Spain was a safe country, with the "worst" crimes being pickpocketing, but in Rio de Janeiro, it seems like they have all kinds of activities going on there - from drugs, to prostitution, to gun crime.

Personally, I disagree with the Pope's decision of choosing Rio for the next WYD. They essentially have the World Cup. I would have loved to have seen the Pope choose somewhere in Europe again (possibly UK, Ireland, Czech Republic, etc) or somewhere "extravagant" in Asia (think Japan, Hong Kong, etc).

I doubt I'll be going to the next WYD. I think Brazil was chosen out of political correctness -- the desire to integrate developing countries into the world -- more than anything.
The WYD is a Very World oriented event. Rio was almost certainly chosen because of ir's location, not politics. One effect likelly to be hoped for is more Vocations resulting in South America, where they are Needed. WYD's in Denver and Toronto rwesulted in a vast number of Vocations. USA Cities have had Very high crime rates; Personal Security is assured at Any WYD to be attended by probably at least 2.5 million in Rio. The World Record for a Human Gathering was the 8 Million for the Manila WYD Closing Mass; my current Pastor was there.
  • It is thought that Pope Benedict's first WYD was in his native Germany because of the great Secularization of Europe; there are great returns following in Increasing Church attendance, as is still occuring in Toronto. The reason pentecostals are succeeding in South America is the Lack of Priests; That is the "Politics" of Choosing WYD Site.
Some at the Madrid WYD slept on the Grass at the airport; they never regretted being Able to attend; it's a Lifetime Priviledge.
Old Sep 17, '11, 8:26 pm
Observing Member

Hello people from Catholic Answers Forum.
Well, I'm a Brazillian and I say that if you guys are planning on coming to Brazil for the next WYD, here are some tips:
- If you speak Spanish well, Portuguese is going to be easy to learn, even though Portuguese is harder than Spanish;
- If you don't speak Spanish or another Latin-based languague, it is going to be harder, but if you really want to learn it, you'll see how beautiful the Portuguese is;
- Rio's crime rate is considerably high (there is a great area of slums there - we call it "favela" - in full control of drug dealers, not to mention the activity of thieves in rich areas. But let's not despair cuz we have good police and the Army on the street on regurlar basis and there will be consistent protective reinforcement during WYD.) So, I encourage you to come with your parish and never walk alone.
- Rio de Janeiro is a beautiful and very good city to stay, you are going to enjoy it (from going to beautiful beaches to seeing the image of the Christ the Redeemer "Cristo Redentor");
- Rio's having the World Cup in 2014 must be a negative factor, but I think the government will manage it well as it did in some huge events in the near past;
- Brazil is the biggest Catholic country in South America and we REALLY need you and the Pope here, as the Church faces challanges on various ways, so you are more than welcome to come and witness the power and beauty of the Catholic faith to unbelievers, non-Catholics and, most importantly here, the fallen away Catholics.

I hope the tips and the info will be of good use. May God bless you all.

Felipe
Old Sep 18, '11, 7:33 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by PazzoGrande View Post
Hi everyone!

Can anyone give me good tips for the next World Youth Day? I was considering going while I was still young enough. I spoke with a friend who went to the Madrid one and she said to be sure to register as a pilgrim.

Does anyone else have any tips?
associate with the group in your Diocese who is going so you can get in on training and preparation, lower priced travel arrangements, side trips, and so forth, not to mention the benefits of travelling with a group who know you.
Old Nov 14, '11, 5:43 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
This is mere speculation on my part, and it's probably too early to tell, but I don't think many Europeans will be at the 2013 WYD. Firstly, the cost for us Europeans will be astronomical. The flight time is also quite lengthy (about 11 hours).

One reason I may not be going is because I have heard that Rio de Janeiro has very high crime rates (e.g. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-...nd.Safety.html ). I always knew Spain was a safe country, with the "worst" crimes being pickpocketing, but in Rio de Janeiro, it seems like they have all kinds of activities going on there - from drugs, to prostitution, to gun crime.

Personally, I disagree with the Pope's decision of choosing Rio for the next WYD. They essentially have the World Cup. I would have loved to have seen the Pope choose somewhere in Europe again (possibly UK, Ireland, Czech Republic, etc) or somewhere "extravagant" in Asia (think Japan, Hong Kong, etc).

I doubt I'll be going to the next WYD. I think Brazil was chosen out of political correctness -- the desire to integrate developing countries into the world -- more than anything.
I'm quite happy it's on this side of the world and in a developing country at that! It's about time. I live on this side of the world so thank God, I won't have to spend nearly $3000 like I did with Madrid!
Old Jan 16, '12, 12:14 am

Peace!
Hi I'm Stan from India. I'm really looking forward for the World Youth Day 2013. The Diocese that I come from does not make groups or arrange such kind of trips because it quite expensive to travel to Rio from India. I have no clue about what happens in World Youth Days. But I read about people who attend the WYD have a blast spiritually and also fun with people from all over the planet. Hey guys if you can tell me what was approximate cost of only the Registration Fee for the WYD Madrid 2011? So that I can save up a little and tell my parents about the cost since they are paying for me! I would like to know how you guys registered for Madrid 2011? Is the registration process done upon arrival or done in advance via the internet? How were the accommodations being provided? Do I have to book a hotel with my travel agent or is that taken care of the WYD registration?
My dear friends any information you give me will be useful. I'm really struggling here. Thanks be to God and you!
Old Feb 7, '12, 6:39 am

Religion: catholic

hi...i too want to know about it..we have our diocese youth group of around 150 members..The strength is less but all are vibrants..!!..please let me know about this
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:17 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to PazzoGrande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qua View Post
Peace!
Hi I'm Stan from India. I'm really looking forward for the World Youth Day 2013. The Diocese that I come from does not make groups or arrange such kind of trips because it quite expensive to travel to Rio from India. I have no clue about what happens in World Youth Days. But I read about people who attend the WYD have a blast spiritually and also fun with people from all over the planet. Hey guys if you can tell me what was approximate cost of only the Registration Fee for the WYD Madrid 2011? So that I can save up a little and tell my parents about the cost since they are paying for me! I would like to know how you guys registered for Madrid 2011? Is the registration process done upon arrival or done in advance via the internet? How were the accommodations being provided? Do I have to book a hotel with my travel agent or is that taken care of the WYD registration?
My dear friends any information you give me will be useful. I'm really struggling here. Thanks be to God and you!
About registration, it doesn't cover accomodations though they might give you some meal coupons, according to a friend of mine who went to the Madrid one.

Try joining the group of another diocese, and they would take care of your accomodations and scheduling.
Old Jun 7, '12, 3:18 pm

[quote=Bohm Bawerk;8328606]That's true, but the Pope should have at least chosen a country outside of Europe that was safe and politically stable. Rio de Janeiro, based on what I've heard and currently reading, is not a safe place. I also don't see the point of bringing the WYD to Brazil; they already have the World Cup the year after. /QUOTE]

I believe the Holy Father had the Brazillian Faithful in mind, football fans as they undoubtedly are

To answer the OP's original question:
1) Learn as much about the culture, language, historical/religious places to visit as possible. Take a language guide (set the translation feature on your phone if you have Blackberry)
2) Carry lots of exchange gifts from your parish/community - these can be home made wrist bands, rosary beads, bookmarks, badges, pins etc. Much as I enjoy receiving items from other countries, the ones that promote your parish/catholic community really highlight how 'catholic'( i.e, universal) we are!
3)Carry a notebook/diary: In the hectic days ahead, keeping track of where you've visited, who you met and the wonderful experiences you may encounter. I made it a point to find quiet time in the churches I visited and update my diary (really found inspiration surrounded by the majestic artwork)
4) Make a note of where you want to visit. Is there a particular saint's church you want to visit? your favourite speaker/musician coming to perform? any museums/ forums/ vocation seminars you want to attend? try something different, even if you're the only one on your group who wants to do so!
5) Pack light: comfy clothes, broad hat, sandals, bottle of water, rosary. A happy pilgrim is a light pilgrim.
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:10 pm
Observing Member

Peace and Mercy of Jesus,
Im from Brazil. Im member of a catholic community. My english is not good. I like to help people that wants to learn Portuguese to the World Younty Day in Rio. Id like to be volunteer teach it. How I said, my english is bad, but I can help. My skype is: fabiohsz
My msn is [email protected]
Fbio Henrique.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization