Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:01 pm
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonh View Post
simple,

don't read them

and you don't have to subcribe to them either.

No big deal
Can you scroll down and not read something? When I look at something, I read it. I have to try not to.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
  #17  
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:42 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinf View Post
How effective is this ignore feature? If you are on a thread with someone that you have ignored and another user replies to a post made by the person in your ignore list, wouldn't you still see the post?
You also see that there is a post by a person who is on your Ignore List and all you have to do is click on part of the announcement in order to read the post. I can't resist. I'm sorry. I always read them!

The only time the Ignore feature has worked for me (and I'm probably going to get into big trouble for saying this) is when another poster and I were ordered to place each other on our Ignore Lists. If I had ever responded to what he had posted about me it would be obvious that I had not ignored him and the same applied to him.

Voila! End of problem!

I loved that solution because it was a real solution and I hope it is used more often in the future.

I think that most of us want to defend our Faith and ourselves (and others) and feel that if we don't respond it will appear that we just couldn't come up with an appropriate defense and we've been slam-dunked. That attitude has gotten me into trouble in the past.

One more thing about the Ignore feature: if the other poster PMs you he/she will think that you received the PM even though you won't. He/she won't get a message stating that the PM will not be delivered. So, that poster can PM you, saying all sorts of things and you won't even know about it! This needs to be fixed.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

  #18  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:04 am
kelvinf's Avatar
kelvinf kelvinf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2009
Posts: 4,076
Religion: Überzeugter Katholik
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
You also see that there is a post by a person who is on your Ignore List and all you have to do is click on part of the announcement in order to read the post. I can't resist. I'm sorry. I always read them!

The only time the Ignore feature has worked for me (and I'm probably going to get into big trouble for saying this) is when another poster and I were ordered to place each other on our Ignore Lists. If I had ever responded to what he had posted about me it would be obvious that I had not ignored him and the same applied to him.

Voila! End of problem!

I loved that solution because it was a real solution and I hope it is used more often in the future.

I think that most of us want to defend our Faith and ourselves (and others) and feel that if we don't respond it will appear that we just couldn't come up with an appropriate defense and we've been slam-dunked. That attitude has gotten me into trouble in the past.

One more thing about the Ignore feature: if the other poster PMs you he/she will think that you received the PM even though you won't. He/she won't get a message stating that the PM will not be delivered. So, that poster can PM you, saying all sorts of things and you won't even know about it! This needs to be fixed.
Ordered by who? I was just asking the question. I don't use the ignore feature though. Not responding to a post is not necessarily a sign of defeat. Even if you or the other person thinks so, then what? It shouldn't really matter. It just an internet forum.
__________________
Die Bibel ist nicht dazu da, daß wir sie kritisieren, sondern dazu, daß sie uns kritisiert. Søren Kierkegaard
Wer mit dem Katholizismus nicht einverstanden ist, der soll protestantisch oder atheistisch werden, aber nicht versuchen, ihn durch Reformen zu verunstalten. P. Feyerabend
Lord have mercy
  #19  
Old Feb 24, '12, 7:13 am
maryjk maryjk is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 4, 2005
Posts: 9,288
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
I never even noticed. I have only one person on my ignore list.
After someone has been on my ignore list for a while, I generally pull them off. Sometimes, it is quite funny to find out that the person on your ignore list has been banned. It kind of feels good, as though you weren't the only one that felt that way.
__________________
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." Margaret Thatcher

Making good people helpless, won't make bad people harmless.
  #20  
Old Feb 24, '12, 7:24 am
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjk View Post
After someone has been on my ignore list for a while, I generally pull them off. Sometimes, it is quite funny to find out that the person on your ignore list has been banned. It kind of feels good, as though you weren't the only one that felt that way.
I know what you are saying, about 6 people I argued with from when I first joined here have been banned.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
  #21  
Old Feb 24, '12, 9:29 am
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinf View Post
Ordered by who? I was just asking the question. I don't use the ignore feature though. Not responding to a post is not necessarily a sign of defeat. Even if you or the other person thinks so, then what? It shouldn't really matter. It just an internet forum.
It was a moderator that ordered it. I'm sorry; I meant absolutely no offense to you. I never said that everyone feels as I do; I gave my opinion and I prefaced it with the phrase "I think." That means it is simply my opinion. It does make me feel like I have no good answer when I don't respond to a post that is directed to me, especially if it attacks the Church. I'm glad that you don't feel the same way. I guess it's one of my weaknesses and something I should be working on. However, all Catholics are members of the Church Militant and that is something I take very seriously.

It's true that this is an Internet forum. But I'm sure that people have been converted to the Church because of this forum and people have probably left the Church because of this forum. CAF is an amazingly strong tool we can use to defend our Faith, correct misconceptions, learn what the Church teaches (I really didn't know anything about the Church when I joined CAF even though I technically was Catholic), defend our views on secular issues, and find support from other members through forum threads and clubs. I've learned so much since I've joined and my faith has grown along with my knowledge.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

  #22  
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:13 am
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I really wish we were allowed to ignore group leaders. I don't really understand why, just because they are the leader of a group, that we're not even a member of, we aren't allowed to ignore their posts on the forum (not in said group)?

I know if we're having "trouble" with a particular user, we are supposed to tell a mod, but in some cases, it's not that they're harassing, they just say...irritating things that test charity level. I just don't want to see those posts and be tempted to be uncharitable.

I just wish this was changed...
I hate to ask this question but what are group leaders?
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

  #23  
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:20 am
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
I hate to ask this question but what are group leaders?
You know how you can join a group?

I think the group leaders are just someone who made a group.

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1436
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
  #24  
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:43 am
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
I hate to ask this question but what are group leaders?
yup, someone who started a group, that's all.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
  #25  
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:03 am
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Oh, OK. Thanks. The groups I belong to have such little activity that I mostly ignore them.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

  #26  
Old Feb 24, '12, 2:20 pm
kelvinf's Avatar
kelvinf kelvinf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2009
Posts: 4,076
Religion: Überzeugter Katholik
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
It was a moderator that ordered it. I'm sorry; I meant absolutely no offense to you. I never said that everyone feels as I do; I gave my opinion and I prefaced it with the phrase "I think." That means it is simply my opinion. It does make me feel like I have no good answer when I don't respond to a post that is directed to me, especially if it attacks the Church. I'm glad that you don't feel the same way. I guess it's one of my weaknesses and something I should be working on. However, all Catholics are members of the Church Militant and that is something I take very seriously.

It's true that this is an Internet forum. But I'm sure that people have been converted to the Church because of this forum and people have probably left the Church because of this forum. CAF is an amazingly strong tool we can use to defend our Faith, correct misconceptions, learn what the Church teaches (I really didn't know anything about the Church when I joined CAF even though I technically was Catholic), defend our views on secular issues, and find support from other members through forum threads and clubs. I've learned so much since I've joined and my faith has grown along with my knowledge.
Whoa, I am surprised you are apologising for doing nothing wrong. I am sorry if I sounded cold. It wasn't my intention at all to give you such an impression. Of course you were just expressing your opinion which is what we all do.

Did you ask the mod about ignoring someone or why did they order you to do so?
__________________
Die Bibel ist nicht dazu da, daß wir sie kritisieren, sondern dazu, daß sie uns kritisiert. Søren Kierkegaard
Wer mit dem Katholizismus nicht einverstanden ist, der soll protestantisch oder atheistisch werden, aber nicht versuchen, ihn durch Reformen zu verunstalten. P. Feyerabend
Lord have mercy
  #27  
Old Feb 24, '12, 3:18 pm
Jo Benedict's Avatar
Jo Benedict Jo Benedict is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: September 26, 2005
Posts: 2,340
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Please allow us to ignore group leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I really wish we were allowed to ignore group leaders. I don't really understand why, just because they are the leader of a group, that we're not even a member of, we aren't allowed to ignore their posts on the forum (not in said group)?
It's a limitation of the system software. We're sorry, but there's nothing that can be done about it at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8457Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3735Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3320Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3109For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: RevDrJBTDDPhD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:40 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.