Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '12, 2:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What do you plan to do during Lent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post
So you are abstaining from food for the whole 40 days?
No, it's the same as the Ash Wednesday "fast." In the morning I have a piece of toast or a banana, something similar at lunch, and then a normal supper. That's why I said the traditional fast is still light compared to Our Lord's.
Old Feb 24, '12, 5:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkubes View Post
No, it's the same as the Ash Wednesday "fast." In the morning I have a piece of toast or a banana, something similar at lunch, and then a normal supper. That's why I said the traditional fast is still light compared to Our Lord's.
Gotchya! I thought you meant traditional as in not eating. So it used to be that the church required you to do this fast for all of Lent?
Old Feb 24, '12, 5:55 pm

Religion: Catholic

I can't tell you how many catholics tell me that the church has abolished Friday fasting. Haven't got a clue.
Old Feb 24, '12, 7:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post
Gotchya! I thought you meant traditional as in not eating. So it used to be that the church required you to do this fast for all of Lent?
Yep, before the current (1983) Code of Canon Law.

There was actually a lot more than that too - take a look at the summary table here. Lots of people still observe the Ember Day fasts and Vigil fasts as well.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:33 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Thread View Post
I can't tell you how many catholics tell me that the church has abolished Friday fasting. Haven't got a clue.
What to you mean?
Old Feb 25, '12, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcknight View Post
I hope to pray a little more and play a little less. I will NOT hate the Duke sports teams quite as much as I usually do. I promise not to swear at them when I go down to the ACC tournament (the womens tourn) next week, at least not as much as I usually do.

We beat them this past Sunday, and it was such a sweet victory !!! Go TERPS !!

I plan to be a bit more kind and loving and forgiving, BUT when it comes to Duke, I know it may be nearly impossible. There's a reason they're called 'blue' DEVILS.... spawn of SATAN comes to mind....
Spawn of Satan? Try to hold back a little! LOL

Julian of norwich
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
What to you mean?
It is my understanding that the "New Order" of things no longer requires meatless Fridays however, it requires (?) a substitute if you wish to eat meat! I haven't read the language for some time but that's what I got out of it. My wife and I didn't buy into it..we never understood why they wanted to change it and we never changed.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Thread View Post
It is my understanding that the "New Order" of things no longer requires meatless Fridays however, it requires (?) a substitute if you wish to eat meat! I haven't read the language for some time but that's what I got out of it. My wife and I didn't buy into it..we never understood why they wanted to change it and we never changed.
I think that poster asked because you originally said "fasting" - as you know, it's actually abstinence that was made optional in some areas. I'm not sure when fasting was last required on Fridays, but it was quite a while ago. Still, that would be an even better practice to revive, and I agree with your sentiment.

And you're right, the vague wording makes even the substitute penance optional in the US. See a more in depth analysis here.

A sad state of affairs...
Old Feb 26, '12, 1:10 pm

I think the Church still encourages fasting as a penitential act. It is something many Catholics continue to do, but the fast may be one day of bread and water a week, or fasting from a favorite activity etc. We do this in some ways whenever we "offer up" some act or deprivation we freely choose. As Martha Stewart says, "Its a good thing". And doesn't it have more metit if we just do it rather than obeying an order to do it. The Church has taught for a long time that these things are acts to be cultivated. Maybe Mother Church is just letting us be adult Catholics.

Julian of norwich
Old Feb 26, '12, 5:35 pm

Well maybe the church needs to get out the message, because that ain't a happenin! But hey...maybe they'll listen to Martha Stewart and Julian Norwich.
Old Feb 26, '12, 6:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
I think the Church still encourages fasting as a penitential act. It is something many Catholics continue to do, but the fast may be one day of bread and water a week, or fasting from a favorite activity etc. We do this in some ways whenever we "offer up" some act or deprivation we freely choose. As Martha Stewart says, "Its a good thing". And doesn't it have more metit if we just do it rather than obeying an order to do it. The Church has taught for a long time that these things are acts to be cultivated. Maybe Mother Church is just letting us be adult Catholics.
Yes, the encouragement is there - albeit on dusty documents that are rarely mentioned by any modern priests of bishops. Also, giving up a favourite activity really isn't a fast. It could certainly count as a penance, and it would be praiseworthy, but to describe it as a "fast" is a break with centuries' old Church language and teaching.

I've heard it said that these acts have more merit if we do them voluntarily, and that might be the case, but the lived experience of the Church since mandatory fasting was effectively abolished shows that people just won't do it. Fasting, even two days in Lent, has turned into a chore that is quite often ignored.

And I'm not accusing you of this, but I think to assert that this practice is more adult comes off as quite arrogant. Some of the most brilliant popes and some of the greatest saints the Church has ever produced couldn't talk enough about the importance of fasting during the time when the traditional (childish?) laws were in place. What are the odds that an innovation - and a clear break with tradition - in the 1960s would turn out to be more successful?
Old Feb 27, '12, 9:14 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkubes View Post
I think that poster asked because you originally said "fasting" - as you know, it's actually abstinence that was made optional in some areas. I'm not sure when fasting was last required on Fridays, but it was quite a while ago. Still, that would be an even better practice to revive, and I agree with your sentiment.

And you're right, the vague wording makes even the substitute penance optional in the US. See a more in depth analysis here.

A sad state of affairs...
Yes, I got confused with the word "fasting". Thanks to you both for clarifying!
Old Feb 27, '12, 10:53 am

I wasn't referring to the practice as adult, rather that we take adult responsibility for deciding to fast and abstain during but even outside of Lent. I had a friend who used to fast from water, a practice I am unsure of for health reasons. Nevertheless, she felt it important to fast or abstain in some what more often than "required". The "required" is really a teaching tool I think, to inform us of how to go about such things and more importantly, why. We can then choose to do other things, all for the greater Glory of God, or in reparation for our sins, etc.

Sorry if I was unclear - I do that more than I would like.

Julian of norwich

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism