Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 24, '12, 4:35 pm

Default Re: There is no God. I want to die. Why should i not commit suicide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post
I am your patient. You are my Atheist Psychologist.

There is no God. I want to die. Why should i not commit suicide?

Metaphysical naturalism is true. So why should i keep on breaking my back for very low wages, feeling unhappy, having no friends, no wife, and generally having a ****** non-fulfilling life.

Since death is inevitable, why put up with the humiliation on a daily basis, suffering from severe depression, taking pills to get by, when i could just simply cease to exist and therefore cease to struggle in this meaningless world?

The fear of death is the only thing keeping me alive.
why havent you committed suicide? obviously, something has kept you. if its just fear of death, then that is your answer. i want to die and im afraid to die are hard things to reconcile. given that youre still alive, its safe to assume you fear death more than you want it. so go ahead and live if thats still your preference.
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:12 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

OP wants to be honest about the cold facts of reality and that the doctor would not want to lie about the real nature of things in-order to achieve positive results.

So for you the "real nature of things" is that life is suffering and the op should just off himself because they will never have a better moment in life, their mood will never improve, they will never be helped by medication, learning skills, developing relationships, or just dumb luck, so yoou should just end it.

It is neat that you are omnicient regarding the patients past, present and future. What puzzles me, however is why you would consider it a positive outcome if the patient does not kill himself?

Given your view that the "real nature of things" is that life is just suffering with no enjoyment or meaning, it surprises me that you chose to play. Why is it that you do if things are really that bad for you?

Is it more egocentric to experience pleasure in life, see others experience happiness in life and try to help someone who is down to experience the same or to ignore the meaning and pleasure that people find in life, take your own view that all life is suffering an inflict this on the patient in an effort to murder them by proxy?

If I am wrong there is always time to off one's self later. If you are wrong, you have stolen all potential happiness they could have experienced to confirm your belief that all life is hopelessness. You have also lost your license to practice, may well get sued by any relatives and will have to practice spreading hopelessness through another venue. Such as online forums.
Old Feb 27, '12, 1:25 pm

Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon123454321 View Post
OP wants to be honest about the cold facts of reality and that the doctor would not want to lie about the real nature of things in-order to achieve positive results.

So for you the "real nature of things" is that life is suffering and the op should just off himself because they will never have a better moment in life, their mood will never improve, they will never be helped by medication, learning skills, developing relationships, or just dumb luck, so yoou should just end it.

It is neat that you are omnicient regarding the patients past, present and future. What puzzles me, however is why you would consider it a positive outcome if the patient does not kill himself?

Given your view that the "real nature of things" is that life is just suffering with no enjoyment or meaning, it surprises me that you chose to play. Why is it that you do if things are really that bad for you?

Is it more egocentric to experience pleasure in life, see others experience happiness in life and try to help someone who is down to experience the same or to ignore the meaning and pleasure that people find in life, take your own view that all life is suffering an inflict this on the patient in an effort to murder them by proxy?

If I am wrong there is always time to off one's self later. If you are wrong, you have stolen all potential happiness they could have experienced to confirm your belief that all life is hopelessness. You have also lost your license to practice, may well get sued by any relatives and will have to practice spreading hopelessness through another venue. Such as online forums.
It helps if you quote the post to which you are responding.

Just sayin'.
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old Feb 29, '12, 8:00 am

Religion: None

If you are rational and in your right state of mind (and previous encounters with you leave me in no doubt that you are), then I see no reason not to.
Old Feb 29, '12, 8:02 am

At least read the myth of Sisyphus by Camus first.
Old Feb 29, '12, 8:50 am
Banned

Religion: Yours

Quote:
I am your patient. You are my Atheist Psychologist.

There is no God. I want to die. Why should i not commit suicide?

Metaphysical naturalism is true. So why should i keep on breaking my back for very low wages, feeling unhappy, having no friends, no wife, and generally having a ****** non-fulfilling life.

Since death is inevitable, why put up with the humiliation on a daily basis, suffering from severe depression, taking pills to get by, when i could just simply cease to exist and therefore cease to struggle in this meaningless world?

The fear of death is the only thing keeping me alive.
Out of obligation to society for investing its resources in you. You should not die until you have made some contribution to humanity.
Old Feb 29, '12, 8:55 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueCentrist View Post
Out of obligation to society for investing its resources in you. You should not die until you have made some contribution to humanity.
This is an assertion based on societies desires. Why am i obligated? Why should i help beings to exist in a meaningless reality that will ultimately come to nothing. Ultimately all human beings will eventually die, so what is the point? Why help them if it means being a slave to my suffering? Also, it may be the case that society has not invested enough into my life to justify me making a sacrifice for their happiness.
Old Feb 29, '12, 9:55 am
Banned

Religion: Yours

Quote:
This is an assertion based on societies desires.
So? Most people find that to be a perfectly acceptable reason for compliance with certain codes of conduct including laws. If you were adamant about suicide, it may be grounds for the doctors to forcibly restrain you and attempt to determine the reason for your depression. Your contribution to society could be as a test subject, it does not have to be voluntary.

Quote:
Why am i obligated? Why should i help beings to exist in a meaningless reality that will ultimately come to nothing.
How do you know this is the case? What if mankind is able to find a meaning or is able to escape the boundaries of our own universe?

Would it be possible to convince you that reality was meaningful? If it were not, why would you not surrender to the wills of those who felt it was?

Quote:
Ultimately all human beings will eventually die, so what is the point? Why help them if it means being a slave to my suffering? Also, it may be the case that society has not invested enough into my life to justify me making a sacrifice for their happiness.
It might be the case, but you had not established that it was. Regardless, if you were able to find a solution to your troubles, it might help other people as well.
Old Feb 29, '12, 10:49 am
Banned

Religion: RC

Come on problem solvers

1) The patient requires a change of mind

2) The consultation exchange is a real process between two people

3) In order to change ones mind, one must learn something.

4) We learn to change our mind in the "example" of others, not the words of others.

5) Something must "happen thorough example in the process" in order for a change of mind.

6) The something "must" be an example, not words.

7) The doctor must determine what most compels the self destruction

8) Once he knows...he must find a way to provide the missing link in example within the exchange... in order to change the patients mind.

9) If he cannot...he has failed in changing the patients mind.in a concrete way.

10) Analogies are pointless where self destruction is a direct consequence of a felt lack in
self appreciation
11) This is NOT a spiritual matter...if it was ...there would be no one left to bag your groceries.

12) The Doctor must find a way to cause the patient to FEEL APPRECIATED.

I will come back tonight to find out if any more patients must be lugged out of the river....so far....you all have required a whole fleet of vessels to recover the bodies

13) Come on problem solvers...pick up your socks on this one

Last edited by FurtherSuntime; Feb 29, '12 at 11:04 am.
Old Feb 29, '12, 10:45 pm
Trial Membership

No one to bag my groceries... hrm. Your perspective is that all people who work for minimum wage should feel suicidal unless coerced into believing that thier lives are meaningful because otherwise they would all off themselves and that it would inconvenience you.

I think you forgot the part about actually caring about the other people. Psychology is more than just an intellectual persuit and practice of persuasive powers.
Old Mar 1, '12, 7:00 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon123454321 View Post
No one to bag my groceries... hrm. Your perspective is that all people who work for minimum wage should feel suicidal unless coerced into believing that thier lives are meaningful because otherwise they would all off themselves and that it would inconvenience you.
hmmm... does that really reflect what the OP has presented, or is this just a strawman?
Old Mar 1, '12, 10:36 am

Reminder:

Discussion of atheism is a banned topic.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy