Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 17, '12, 12:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Great Lent for beginner's

What is recommended for beginners/seekers of ECC's?
As an RC who wants something different in their Lenten Season, and the ECC fast seems quite daunting, is there something that might be better, or should I throw caution to the wind and jump fulll in?

BTW, I find it interesting that shrimp would be allowed....mmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Feb 17, '12, 12:05 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Great Lent for beginner's

For beginners it is important to consult with a spiritual father to guide you in your fasting.
Old Feb 17, '12, 7:22 pm

Religion: Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadDave View Post

BTW, I find it interesting that shrimp would be allowed....mmmmmmmmmmmm
I feel the same way about shrimp. Lobster, too. It isn't in the spirit of the fast for me. I'm pregnant for Lent this year, so this year I will have to focus on eating lots of protein and eliminating sugar to keep my gestational diabetes under control. That is actually a lot harder for me than the traditional fast.

As far as non-fasting opportunities to observe Lent... have you had the opportunity to experience the Liturgy of the Pre-sanctified gifts? I highly recommend making it a regular part of the season. I actually look forward to the fast every year, so that I can attend this beautiful service.
Old Feb 17, '12, 7:26 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

I agree, if your not crazy about shrimp then could be a good food for the fast. I happen to love shrimp and eat it as a rare treat so eating it during Lent for me would definitly not be a fasting food.
Old Feb 17, '12, 8:29 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadDave View Post
What is recommended for beginners/seekers of ECC's?
Bear in mind that Great Lent is not just about fasting. Self-denial / fasting, prayer and charity are the three essentials of the Lenten journey in Eastern tradition.

If you want to experience something genuinely Eastern this Great Lent, I would highly recommend you attend the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
If you want to experience something genuinely Eastern this Great Lent, I would highly recommend you attend the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
Pre-Sanctified Liturgies will be offered every Wednesday and Friday evening at St. Sophia. We're also offering a class on the Eastern fast which we'd love to have you for, Dave! You can see the details in my signature.

Oh, and shrimp are allowed because they're bugs. St. John the Baptist ate locusts.
St. Sophia Ukrainian Catholic Church in The Colony, TX (near DFW)
Old Feb 18, '12, 6:33 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

You can always experience Great Lent (or any other season or feast day) in an Eastern way by incorporating prayers from the Eastern tradition in your private usage. The Prayer of St. Ephrem is one of the most notable, and is a great prayer to recite at the beginning of each day during Great Lent:

Quote:
Lord and Master of my life, spare me from the spirit of indifference, despair, lust for power, and idle chatter.

Instead, bestow on me, your servant, the spirit of integrity, humility, patience, and love.

Yes, O Lord and King, let me see my own sins and not judge my brothers and sisters; for you are blessed forever and ever. Amen.
Have a blessed and spiritual Lenten journey!
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old Feb 18, '12, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB1718 View Post
Pre-Sanctified Liturgies will be offered every Wednesday and Friday evening at St. Sophia. We're also offering a class on the Eastern fast which we'd love to have you for, Dave! You can see the details in my signature.

Oh, and shrimp are allowed because they're bugs. St. John the Baptist ate locusts.
Well I love mud bugs too... aka crawfish...lol

BTW website looks fantastic. Huge improvement and very inviting. I've been lurking on there past few weeks reading some of the articles...
Old Feb 18, '12, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
You can always experience Great Lent (or any other season or feast day) in an Eastern way by incorporating prayers from the Eastern tradition in your private usage. The Prayer of St. Ephrem is one of the most notable, and is a great prayer to recite at the beginning of each day during Great Lent:

Have a blessed and spiritual Lenten journey!
Thank you for the recommendation.
Old Feb 22, '12, 11:58 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

This is floating around on Facebook. Love it!
(From this blogger)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plates.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	13110  
Old Feb 24, '12, 7:42 pm

Religion: catholic--embracing all universality, diversity,traditions

I have to share.

Im reading the book "Great Lent:Journey to Pascha" by Fr Alxander Schmemann and it just speaks to my very core.

He doesnt speak as much about all the regulations, but the reasons behind it.

Even though it's been only the beginning of Great Lent, by focusing on the things he shares in the book, I am having a very pentitially fruitful Lenten season thus far.

It has set my soul aflame. I want to learn more so that next year I can incorporate more of the regulations.
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:38 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie5890 View Post
Im reading the book "Great Lent:Journey to Pascha" by Fr Alxander Schmemann and it just speaks to my very core.
You made an excellent choice for Lenten study!
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by babochka View Post
I feel the same way about shrimp. Lobster, too. It isn't in the spirit of the fast for me. I'm pregnant for Lent this year, so this year I will have to focus on eating lots of protein and eliminating sugar to keep my gestational diabetes under control. That is actually a lot harder for me than the traditional fast.
Our previous priest was a big shell fish guy. He usually brought some kind of shellfish, great cook!, and was always encouraging us to get into it. I never have but I may try again this Great Lent.

Pregnant? Why did I you were around my age? Obviously not. LOL! That's wonderful you're expecting.

Have I posted here about Rita Madden (MPH, RD) and her Food, Faith, and Fasting podcast this week on Ancient Faith Radio-- "The Dos and Don’ts of Fasting" using her health management perspective?

Quote:
This podcast is geared toward Orthodox and non-Orthodox Christians who want to care for their health in a spiritually minded manner. It focuses on ways to manage medical conditions such as weight loss, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gastric reflux, and more. Rita Madden’s theory of health management is based on the wisdom embodied in the Holy Orthodox Church.
She also will email her "Fasting Cookbook" as an attachment if you email her.
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:28 pm

Quote:
I have to share.

He doesnt speak as much about all the regulations, but the reasons behind it.
I think you'll find I've already raved about + Fr Schmemann in other posts, as has ByzCathCantor. I commented in one of those posts that I like what he and some other writers do which is to work from the prayers of the services of Great Lent. As we say in the East the Liturgy IS the catechesis, and it is. So having big chunks of the texts of the prayers not only from DL but from Vespers and Matins etc makes perfect sense.

BTW there is an 8 part series on Ancient Faith Radio "Dn. Michael Hyatt teaches through the book Great Lent by Fr. Alexander Schmemann."

Quote:
Even though it's been only the beginning of Great Lent, by focusing on the things he shares in the book, I am having a very pentitially fruitful Lenten season thus far.
And some of us haven't begun Great Lent yet. Those who have begun it have really gotten me pretty jazzed up. I think his section on "The Two Meanings of Fasting" is a must read. It used to be available on goodlebooks, but I'm not sure it still is. But it's available elsewhere on the web.
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:57 am

In our Church we have teaching on the book of Revelation during lent. It is amazing how it ties into our liturgy and into layout of the Church and the Holy Place, the doors, the candles, the cover of the gospel book and so on.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism