Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 22, '12, 3:13 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Rosary Rap a good way to pray?

I have been using this recently to aid in my praying the Rosary everyday. Now if you're not familiar with it, I'll try to describe it. It is a "rap" album a young man by the name of Joe Melendrez put together that has a track for each of the 20 mysteries of the rosary (including the luminous). For each mystery, there is music, an Our Father, a short meditation on the particular mystery and then the 10 Hail Marys. This is done in a rhythmic, "hip-hop" style. I've found it makes it a joy to pray the Rosary this way. I may not need it forever, but it's helping now.
My question is, though, do you think that in using this tool that I am actually praying or just listening to someone else pray? Also, do you think this item is appropriate?
Thanks so much for you responses, in advance!
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:11 pm

Default Re: Rosary Rap a good way to pray?

First, understand I'm not trying to criticize your way of prayer. The best place to ask this would be to ask your parish priest.

Now, my opinion, I feel that rapping the rosary is sign of disrespect for the sacred mysteries. The rosary has been put to song before, but it has always been to sacred music, and I don't consider rap to be sacred music.

While I'm on my soap-box, i might as well also say that all the songs that come out that are about God and are put to a modern beat I find disrespectful. There is nothing wrong with the traditional chants and songs, I actually prefer them.

Anyways its my personal preference. Ask your parish priest for a better opionon.

God Bless.

Old Feb 22, '12, 4:11 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
I have been using this recently to aid in my praying the Rosary everyday. Now if you're not familiar with it, I'll try to describe it. It is a "rap" album a young man by the name of Joe Melendrez put together that has a track for each of the 20 mysteries of the rosary (including the luminous). For each mystery, there is music, an Our Father, a short meditation on the particular mystery and then the 10 Hail Marys. This is done in a rhythmic, "hip-hop" style. I've found it makes it a joy to pray the Rosary this way. I may not need it forever, but it's helping now.
My question is, though, do you think that in using this tool that I am actually praying or just listening to someone else pray? Also, do you think this item is appropriate?
Never heard of a rap for the rosary. I personally don't like the sound of that.

I did however, learn to remember the rosary prayers via audio.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:36 pm
Observing Member

Religion: RC

Quote:
I went to Amazon.com to check it out and listen to some sample tracks. It's something that I would have to get used to, I don't know if it would be help me get into a meditative state, as we're encouraged to do while praying the Rosary.

I often listen to a recorded Rosary. I made one with my wife and kids saying all the prayers. It's really meaningful to me. I asked a priest once whether this "counted" as praying the Rosary. He said that it did, every bit as much as if I'd recited all the prayers myself.

One of my favorite Rosary programs for the PC is "Virtual Rosary" - it's still around - google it. There are various apps for Android and iOS, I like ones that include the Scripture verses.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:14 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

A Rosary sung to the sound of rap or hip hop music does not strike me well. It seems to me like it would be disrespectful in some sort of way.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:17 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

What ever works for you.

I would say as long as you are praying along with it then you are not just listening to someone pray.

Music, pure music without lyrics, is morally neutral. While some (myself included) might not like rap style music, it is not inherently disrespectful.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thumbs down Re: Rosary Rap a good way to pray?

Praying the Rosary is a time when I reflect upon the different mysteries... a discipline which is meant to be contemplative.

"Rapping" to Jesus carrying the cross just doesn't cut it. It seems blasphemous/sacrilegious to me.
Old Feb 26, '12, 8:08 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaPasta View Post
Praying the Rosary is a time when I reflect upon the different mysteries... a discipline which is meant to be contemplative.

"Rapping" to Jesus carrying the cross just doesn't cut it. It seems blasphemous/sacrilegious to me.
Can you tell me what is blasphemous or sacrilegious with a style of music? Rather then it just being a preference.
Old Feb 26, '12, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
Can you tell me what is blasphemous or sacrilegious with a style of music? Rather then it just being a preference.
I wouldn't say it's blasphemous or sacrilegious, but I would say some music can be inappropriate for some settings in terms of the reverence or mood of the time and place. As Cardinal Arinze put it (paraphrasing) rock music is nice, for a picnic...but not for Mass.
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:26 am
Banned

I'm with Br. David on this one.

The music itself is morally neutral. The music should not be associated with any popular song with lyrics, since it will be distracting.
Old Feb 26, '12, 11:06 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
I wouldn't say it's blasphemous or sacrilegious, but I would say some music can be inappropriate for some settings in terms of the reverence or mood of the time and place. As Cardinal Arinze put it (paraphrasing) rock music is nice, for a picnic...but not for Mass.
The appropriateness of any music is the correct question here but your paraphrase of Cardinal Arinze does not work as he is speaking of the public liturgy of the Church, the Rosary is a private devotion.

I will say it again, what ever works for when praying privately is okay.
Old Feb 26, '12, 11:22 am

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

Quote:
My dear friend, I say do what ever works for you at this moment in time.

As my spiritual director always says-
"Pray as you can, not as you can't. What matters is that you pray!!"

Musings From One of the Women
Old Feb 26, '12, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
The appropriateness of any music is the correct question here but your paraphrase of Cardinal Arinze does not work as he is speaking of the public liturgy of the Church, the Rosary is a private devotion.

I will say it again, what ever works for when praying privately is okay.
Your point about rosary being private devotion is good, but I was attempting to explain why people make comments like RastaPasta's, not explain why the rosary is or is not something that one should rap.

I brought the Cardinal's point up as an attempt to explain that people have associations when it comes to a musical piece's appropriateness. In other words, when people feel music is inappropriate, and the setting is a religious one, they can mistake it for being sacrilegious.
Old Mar 3, '12, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneofthewomen View Post
My dear friend, I say do what ever works for you at this moment in time.

As my spiritual director always says-
"Pray as you can, not as you can't. What matters is that you pray!!"
So far, this Rosary Rap has worked for me. It's actually been quite a blessing. I can see, because of some of the comments here in this thread, that some people may consider it inappropriate. And, in the spirit of the Apostle Paul when he talked about being all things to all people for the sake of the Kingdom, I would not attempt to force this on those considering it so. However, it has helped me pray, actually pray, the rosary. So, thank you all for you comments!
Old Mar 4, '12, 6:45 am

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

Quote:
So far, this Rosary Rap has worked for me. It's actually been quite a blessing. I can see, because of some of the comments here in this thread, that some people may consider it inappropriate. And, in the spirit of the Apostle Paul when he talked about being all things to all people for the sake of the Kingdom, I would not attempt to force this on those considering it so. However, it has helped me pray, actually pray, the rosary. So, thank you all for you comments!
This is AWESOME!!

Anything that gets you to pray is a "good thing"!
You will know when/if it is time to move on to someting different,
trust your heart!

Peace be with you on your journey!

Musings From One of the Women

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality