Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '12, 4:34 pm

Religion: Catholic leaning towards Byzantine
Default Re: follow the advice of the Priest?

Yes you should follow the advice of the priest. Sinfulness can lead to demon possession. Rejecting the advice of the priest could easily alter your persona, thus believing you are mightier then one who have taken the vow of obedience to the Living Lord.

Your lack of grace may be a cause of both heartache and shame. Remember Adam and Eve. They choose to obey only to what they believed fit into their reasoning; thus, taking from the knowledge of life they were expelled from The Garden. Don't be a Adam/Eve example for others to see and weight in a balance of right and wrong. Most importantly, don't lose your peace for Jesus is peace.
Old Feb 24, '12, 9:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Maybe call, text or email and ask him to set up a time to speak with you one on one?

Maybe the scheduled one on one time would you give you both the opportunity to communicate more thoroughly and clarify the matter at hand.

(Unless the advice given is against our beliefs - I would always defer to my priest.)

Last edited by Bix; Feb 24, '12 at 9:53 pm.
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurin View Post
Naturally, as an Anglican, you can choose to honor or ignore counsel given in the confessional.

As a Roman Catholic, your absolution is not complete if you ignore your penance, and you must reconfess those sins.
Actually I do follow the advice and penance most of which has been easy enough to do though the new priest we have seems to be setting, for me at least, different penances, but far more fitting for my sins etc. And the advice, I am working on it which is genuinely and applies to the penance as this time it was no 5 minute thing. Well it wasn't last time actually, but this time he knew more or less what I'd arranged it for and had time to find something though whilst regarded as penance, but more of a help. Which on reflection I like because it means not only am I being heard, I am being directed in a way to really help me. Please don't misunderstand me but I found the odd our father here then didn't help me much. Advice and Penance is to help us grow. Learn from what we have done. Though I do personally honour it all otherwise why bother going for us at least. Just remind me not to do a confession before going on holiday because with this priest he does make me work, in a good way.

but I don't go back to find out if have done it right or enough etc......
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:57 am

Religion: Thankfully Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonh View Post
Actually I do follow the advice and penance most of which has been easy enough to do though the new priest we have seems to be setting, for me at least, different penances, but far more fitting for my sins etc. And the advice, I am working on it which is genuinely and applies to the penance as this time it was no 5 minute thing. Well it wasn't last time actually, but this time he knew more or less what I'd arranged it for and had time to find something though whilst regarded as penance, but more of a help. Which on reflection I like because it means not only am I being heard, I am being directed in a way to really help me. Please don't misunderstand me but I found the odd our father here then didn't help me much. Advice and Penance is to help us grow. Learn from what we have done. Though I do personally honour it all otherwise why bother going for us at least. Just remind me not to do a confession before going on holiday because with this priest he does make me work, in a good way.

but I don't go back to find out if have done it right or enough etc......
when we both posted, this thread was in the TC forum. You did not make clear that you are not Catholic, and your post did not reflect Catholic Teaching on the Sacrament.
If your faith, your doctrine and your spirituality are founded on the holy Sacrifice of the Mass, you abide in truth. You cannot be mistaken when you have established your faith on the holy sacrifice of the Mass. +Archbishop Lefebvre
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:09 am

Religion: Catholic

I may be just lucky, but Ive never had a Priest give me bad advise. God bless

If you keep my commandments, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:23 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
when we both posted, this thread was in the TC forum. You did not make clear that you are not Catholic, and your post did not reflect Catholic Teaching on the Sacrament.
My info very clearly states am Anglican - therefore catholic. Sorry if you can't see that

I too never had bad adivce but there again I've always given full to the sins especially to the sins I needed to focus upon. Being able to write them down helps me though. Throughly prepared means able to say stuff without any emotion attached as in the way Ignatious taught about reflecting the past day. I have never cried at confession though this time came near to it.(jaw set technique which stopped me from 'arguing' back in confession too) One time a priest thought I was but genuinely had a runny nose as had walked over 2mile to be there in the cold and church made nose run. I knew he though I was snuffling because he refered to it in passing in the sermon that evening - on an ash wednesday. Not saying my name of course but it was quite hard work not to retort even to my neighbour that I wasn't crying. There is only 2 people in the parish that know I bother with confession and one of them found out at Christmas because she arrived early to the service so, 'we' vacated to the vestry. As I am a server she wouldn't realise what we had vacated for, she did knock before enterring. She very rarely comes into vestry before services so feel sorry in a way it happend to her. Because she'll enter even less now I guess.
But yes Ben, its clear from my faith in my info bit, that yes I am indeed catholic because I am Anglican. Though not as traditional and the earlier reply I received replied very well to my post thank you
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:26 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Naturally, as an Anglican, you can choose to honor or ignore counsel given in the confessional.

As a Roman Catholic, your absolution is not complete if you ignore your penance, and you must reconfess those sins.

And therefore neatly answers the opening poster's question. if you don't follow it through then the absolution is not complete! And if you are having diffculty following it through, take it up with the priest who set it.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:04 pm

Religion: Thankfully Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonh View Post
My info very clearly states am Anglican - therefore catholic. Sorry if you can't see that
I mean no disrespect, and only seek clarity. I have no issue with your referring to yourself as "catholic." However, here is a big difference between "catholic" (lower-case 'c') and "Catholic" (capital 'c').

We are on a Catholic site, and some find it important to make sure the Church's teachings are correctly presented.

I am sure you can see that.
If your faith, your doctrine and your spirituality are founded on the holy Sacrifice of the Mass, you abide in truth. You cannot be mistaken when you have established your faith on the holy sacrifice of the Mass. +Archbishop Lefebvre

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments