Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '12, 4:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Teens can now order free condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
If they are going to you can't stop them. Heck, even when I was in school it wasn't difficult or uncommon for students to sneak off during school hours and have sex in bathrooms, the weight room, or the auditorium.

I am really shocked that several people would discourage condoms if their child was absolutely going to have sex either way. Not only is pregnancy devastating for a 15 year old, but there are fatal STDs out there! No, condoms aren't perfect but they lower your risk for aids a lot.
Please tell me you're joking because I can't even believe there are humans who would behave that way. Sneak off to have sex in a public bathroom? If that isn't the most revolting behavior I've heard I don't know what is. If pregnancy or dying of aids or an STD is devastating for a 15 year old maybe they shouldn't be having sex.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:00 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via AIM to EmperorNapoleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post
It might not be the best example, but I think it works.
Abstinence-only education does not work.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:28 pm

Religion: Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by domandcarols View Post
Please tell me you're joking because I can't even believe there are humans who would behave that way. Sneak off to have sex in a public bathroom? If that isn't the most revolting behavior I've heard I don't know what is. If pregnancy or dying of aids or an STD is devastating for a 15 year old maybe they shouldn't be having sex.
I wish I was joking. The school actually had to hire someone to patrol bathrooms and such to crack down. And I grew up in a very religious, 4000 population Midwestern town.

I'm sorry, but I think that what you said is heartless. 15 year old are known for lacking judgement and having crazy hormones. Just because they make bad decisions does not mean that aids is getting what they deserve.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer32 View Post
So, all in all, don't have sex and if you do, you deserve to suffer the consequences.
I really hate that attitude. Making children out to be a punishment that you deserve for daring to express love is dehumanizing to everyone, especially the child.

And if you want to help the pro-life movement the first thing you should do is speak of children as blessings, not curses or punishments.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:42 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorNapoleon View Post
/facepalm
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post
I like how they said its to help prevent the spread of STDs. How about using a method known to stop the spread of STDs and unplanned pregnancies: abstinance.
Eeeew that's repulsive.

In SA, the government hands out free condoms. Most kids use the lubricant included to shine their black school shoes. In the beginning the condoms used to be stapled to a piece of paper with instructions. The staple would usually go through the condoms.

The better off people however dislike the government condoms for not being comfortable enough. They usually buy their own, fancy, ribbed, flavoured or scented ones in various shapes.
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorNapoleon View Post
It works for many. It doesn't work when you do it halfheartedly and when your media and culture support sexual promiscuity. One lonely voice a few times per month vs a constant bombardment of pro-sex messages. I'm not surprised kids don't listen. However, it's not the inherent fault of the education itself.

The other issue is the opposite one. When you go into condoms, hormonal contraceptives et al. you tend not to focus so much on the A of Abstinence and the B (Behaviour) is also downplayed either in presentation or the peoples' perception of the what they're expected to do. "Hmmm I have a choice: No sex, hmmm that's no fun but I can still have sex and use this rubber or go for a three month birth control shot. Sounds better. This way I can have all the sex I want and not worry about pregnancy. Most STDs are curable anyway and HIV/AIDS is so rare, who cares, besides it's treatable now anyway."
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenofovir View Post
Most STDs are curable anyway and HIV/AIDS is so rare, who cares, besides it's treatable now anyway."
That's a very dangerous mentality (and the reason that AIDS is such a huge problem. Its not a rare disease at all, and in some cities (DC, St. Louis) numbers are shockingly high. And while it is treatable is is not curable and still very deadly. Even the treatments themselves greatly lower the quality of life for the infected.

Hepatitis is also very deadly and not easily treated (and pretty common too). There is now a strand of antibiotic resistant gonorrhea. Herpes is not deadly, but it is incurable.

HPV is so very, very common, and that one's scary because its incurable and causes deadly cervical cancer.

Whether you're for or against condoms the devastating effects of some STDs should never just be brushed off.
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:36 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
I really hate that attitude. Making children out to be a punishment that you deserve for daring to express love is dehumanizing to everyone, especially the child.

And if you want to help the pro-life movement the first thing you should do is speak of children as blessings, not curses or punishments.
Sorry i think you must of misheard read me

Children ARE a Blessing. The consequences are that your life may not go the way you want it to go because you now have this child to take care of. And if the guy doesn't marry the girl, he has to pay child support. So, the kid is not a burden, it's what happens to your life.

"The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord." (1 Cor. 7:32)

"Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mat. 4:19
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokomai View Post
So, Catholics, if you were in a situation in which you knew one of your children was certainly going to have sex outside marriage, do you really think it would be better that they did not use a condom? I know your first instinct will be to get around this by saying it is the having sex that is the issue, but in that actual situation, would you really say: "do not compound your sin by using a condom"?
I see the false dilemma fallacy is back in style...

Anyway I don't think using a condom "compounds" the sin of fornication, as if you're somehow more innocent if you don't use a condom. What kind of realistic situation are you talking about in that hypothetical of yours anyway? It sounds like either the parents knew of the kids' obstinate plans to go do something stupid but chose to go let the kid go off to do it anyway, or somehow they found out about it too late (in which case they have no way to affect the outcome once they find out).
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:13 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Donít hold up banks, but if you do, wear a ski mask.
LOL

Quote:
It seems rather like the victory of reduced expectations.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News