Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '12, 10:29 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default How does one get a plenary indulgence?

Hey everyone. I am wanting to get a plenary indulgence but I am not sure how to go about doing so. I know you must attend Confession and receive the Eucharist on the day that you get your plenary indulgence. I also know that you must not have any attachment to sin, not even venial sin, but this is what I don't understand. What does it mean to not have any attachment to sin? Does it mean that you can't have any sins on your soul or what? Thanks!
Old Feb 23, '12, 11:36 pm

Default Re: How does one get a plenary indulgence?

Divine Mercy Sunday
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:00 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsheep88 View Post
Divine Mercy Sunday
Thanks for the answer Lilsheep but that didn't answer my question. I need someone to help me out with the part that says you must have no attachment to sin. I don't know what that means.
Old Feb 24, '12, 2:16 pm

Religion: Catholic

Hi. I think Saint Francis de Sales might be heplful. He doesn't write specifically about indulgence, but still the description seems to explain what you're looking for:

You will find then, my child, that besides the mortal sins and their affections from which your soul has already been purged, you are beset by sundry inclinations and tendencies to venial sin; mind, I do not say you will find venial sins, but the inclination and tendency to them. Now, one is quite different from the other. We can never be altogether free from venial sin,--at least not until after a very long persistence in this purity; but we can be without any affection for venial sin. It is altogether one thing to have said something unimportant not strictly true, out of carelessness or liveliness, and quite a different matter to take pleasure in lying, and in the habitual practice thereof. But I tell you that you must purify your soul from all inclination to venial sin;--that is to say, you must not voluntarily retain any deliberate intention of permitting yourself to commit any venial sin whatever. ("Introduction to Devout Life", part I, chapter 22)

source:http://www.catholicity.com/devoutlife/1-22.html
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:40 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. I am wanting to get a plenary indulgence but I am not sure how to go about doing so. I know you must attend Confession and receive the Eucharist on the day that you get your plenary indulgence. I also know that you must not have any attachment to sin, not even venial sin, but this is what I don't understand. What does it mean to not have any attachment to sin? Does it mean that you can't have any sins on your soul or what? Thanks!
I have actually taught R.C.I.A. classes about indulgences, so I think I can give some helpful input here. This topic can get confusing because the Church uses the term "attachment to sin" in different ways. But in the context of the requirements for a plenary indulgence, the phrase "having no attachment to sin" simply means to sincerely desire to live a life free of sin (with the help of God's grace). If a person wants to attain a plenary indulgence but he has a "favorite little sin" that he likes to indulge in, and does not seriously want his life to be rid of it, then he has an "attachment" to that sin (and therefore does not meet the requirements for gaining a plenary indulgence).

Note that, in this case, attachment to sin is about what one desires, not about what is likely to happen due to human weakness. For example, sins can be habitual and even addictive, and therefore people who suffer from this situation may face the realistic possibility of caving into the temptation to commit these sins over and over. But this does not mean that the person has an "attachment" to such sins (at least not the kind of attachment to sin which would not allow him to gain a plenary indulgence). If he truly desires that his life was free from the bondage to these sins (and all others) then he can go ahead and undergo the process for attaining a plenary indulgence.

One final note - to the things you mentioned in your OP, praying for the pope is part of the process. According to the Church, reciting one Our Father and one Hail Mary for the pope suffices. This, however, is not the same thing as the "work" a person does for the sake of the plenary indulgence (which is usually something like praying the Rosary in church, doing the Stations of the Cross in a place they are erected for public devotion, making a pilgrimage, etc.).
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:50 pm
Banned

Pick one: Enchiridion of Indulgences

You may have already done #48. If not, it's simple and familiar.
Quote:
A PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted, if the Rosary is recited IN A CHURCH OR PUBLIC ORATORY OR IN A FAMILY GROUP, A RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY OR PIOUS ASSOCIATION
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:28 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
This is helpful, thanks for the link!
But it is our road, and we are called to travel it."

Mother Angelica

Old Feb 25, '12, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotim View Post
Hi. I think Saint Francis de Sales might be heplful. He doesn't write specifically about indulgence, but still the description seems to explain what you're looking for:

You will find then, my child, that besides the mortal sins and their affections from which your soul has already been purged, you are beset by sundry inclinations and tendencies to venial sin; mind, I do not say you will find venial sins, but the inclination and tendency to them. Now, one is quite different from the other. We can never be altogether free from venial sin,--at least not until after a very long persistence in this purity; but we can be without any affection for venial sin. It is altogether one thing to have said something unimportant not strictly true, out of carelessness or liveliness, and quite a different matter to take pleasure in lying, and in the habitual practice thereof. But I tell you that you must purify your soul from all inclination to venial sin;--that is to say, you must not voluntarily retain any deliberate intention of permitting yourself to commit any venial sin whatever. ("Introduction to Devout Life", part I, chapter 22)

source:http://www.catholicity.com/devoutlife/1-22.html
Good answer. God bless

If you keep my commandments, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:19 am

Go to mass on a Friday in Lent and after communion pray this prayer (in English or Latin) before a crucifix

Quote:
En ego, o bone et dulcissime Iesu, ante conspectum tuum genibus me provolvo, ac maximo animi ardore te oro atque obtestor, ut meum in cor vividos fidei, spei et caritatis sensus, atque veram peccatorum meorum paenitentiam, eaque emendandi firmissimam voluntatem velis imprimere; dum magno animi affectu et dolore tua quinque vulnera mecum ipse considero, ac mente contemplor, illud prae oculis habens, quod iam in ore ponebat tuo David Propheta de te, o bone Iesu: «Foderunt manus meas et pedes meos; dinumeraverunt omnia ossa mea».

Behold, o good and most sweet Jesus, I fall upon my knees before Thee, and with most fervent desire beg and beseech Thee that Thou wouldst impress upon my heart a lively sense of faith, hope and charity, true repentance for my sins, and a firm resolve to make amends. And with deep affection and grief, I reflect upon Thy five wounds, having before my eyes that which Thy prophet David spoke about Thee, o good Jesus: “They have pierced my hands and feet, they have counted all my bones.”
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/02/quaer...nt-fr-z-rants/
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:21 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
Go to mass on a Friday in Lent and after communion pray this prayer (in English or Latin) before a crucifix

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/02/quaer...nt-fr-z-rants/
Thanks. Do I have to pray the prayer in Latin or can I pray it in English?
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Thanks. Do I have to pray the prayer in Latin or can I pray it in English?
You can pray it in Latin or English -- or in whatever language you pray in.

I'd recommend picking up The Handbook Of Indulgences. You'll not only get the official Church teaching and documents on indulgences, but it also acts like a prayer book -- for it has a wide selection the prayers and activities one can pray and do for indulgences.

You can only obtain one plenary indulgence per day. While there are seasonal and date-specific ones, here are four different ways that you may obtain a plenary indulgence on any day of the year:
  • adoration of the Blessed Sacrament for at least one half hour
  • devout reading of the Sacred Scriptures for at least one half hour
  • the devout performance of the Stations of the Cross
  • the recitation of the Marian Rosary in a church or oratory, with members of the family, in a religious community, or in a pious association

All this is from the Handbook!
Moved with pity (splagchnizomai), he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." (Mk 1:41)
Old Feb 26, '12, 1:54 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFilmer View Post
I have actually taught R.C.I.A. classes about indulgences, so I think I can give some helpful input here. This topic can get confusing because the Church uses the term "attachment to sin" in different ways. But in the context of the requirements for a plenary indulgence, the phrase "having no attachment to sin" simply means to sincerely desire to live a life free of sin (with the help of God's grace). If a person wants to attain a plenary indulgence but he has a "favorite little sin" that he likes to indulge in, and does not seriously want his life to be rid of it, then he has an "attachment" to that sin (and therefore does not meet the requirements for gaining a plenary indulgence).

Note that, in this case, attachment to sin is about what one desires, not about what is likely to happen due to human weakness. For example, sins can be habitual and even addictive, and therefore people who suffer from this situation may face the realistic possibility of caving into the temptation to commit these sins over and over. But this does not mean that the person has an "attachment" to such sins (at least not the kind of attachment to sin which would not allow him to gain a plenary indulgence). If he truly desires that his life was free from the bondage to these sins (and all others) then he can go ahead and undergo the process for attaining a plenary indulgence.

One final note - to the things you mentioned in your OP, praying for the pope is part of the process. According to the Church, reciting one Our Father and one Hail Mary for the pope suffices. This, however, is not the same thing as the "work" a person does for the sake of the plenary indulgence (which is usually something like praying the Rosary in church, doing the Stations of the Cross in a place they are erected for public devotion, making a pilgrimage, etc.).
Thank you so much for this explanation Eric! Your explanation really did help me to understand it now! So, just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that we simply have to desire to be free from all sin, including venial sin, in order to get a plenary indulgence, am I right? Also, can you still get a plenary indulgence if you have venial sins on your soul or must you be forgiven of them first? If you must be forgiven of them first, how do you get forgiven for venial sins? Do you have to go to Confession and confess them to be forgiven of them or can you simply confess them directly to God and get forgiven? If I understand Catholic teaching right, Confession is not necessary for the forgiveness of venial sins but I don't know exactly what is necessary.
Old Feb 26, '12, 2:35 am
Banned

half an hour of scripture reading
Old Feb 26, '12, 3:46 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
half an hour of scripture reading
Yeah I read about that one in one of my Catholic Bibles. That is certainly a nice and easy one to do. I could read a few chapters out of one of the Gospels or something so long as I pray for at least a half hour, make sure I have gone to Confession and received the Eucharist and prayed for the Pope and then I get a plenary indulgence but I have to make sure I have no attachment to sin, even venial sin.

That said, if one has gone to Confession on a day or two before one attempts to get the plenary indulgence, do you still get the plenary indulgence or do you have to go to Confession on the same day as the day you get the indulgence?
Old Feb 26, '12, 6:50 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert)

I have read that you should go to confession within 8 days of whatever it is that can give you a plenary indulgence. To me it seems like "the sooner, the better" though.
I'm sure there are better informed folks out there that can correct me if my information is off.
But it is our road, and we are called to travel it."

Mother Angelica

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality