Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 18, '12, 11:11 am

Religion: Raised Methodist, struggling in faith.
Default What to do about Mother Reiki-ing sick Grandmother?

Dear posters,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to address this topic. I looked up 'reiki' in the general search terms and I found several references to the occult in this section so I figured this might be the appropriate place to pose this question, though I am still unsure. If it should be moved to another one or tacked onto a preexisting one, please note it and I will do so promptly.

My question is regarding Reiki. I have been ... lurking a little here and there on this site as it's been very helpful for giving me a clear perspective on some of issues of spirituality and society that I had little understanding of myself. I was raised Methodist from a somewhat devout family (half and half) but since my parents grew up in the "flourishing" of new age spirituality, inevitably they got caught up in a lot of it. All my life I was raised with a lot of alternative culture (which was informative) and that informative for me to see into the many different interactions in the clashing California culture. However at around 12 or 13, I can remember my Mother beginning to practice Reiki with her Tai - Chi teacher. I didn't have a lot of older male role models to talk to about my problems and frustrations growing up and my Mother would bring me to him when she would go do these practices with him. Sometimes I would trust him with my deeper concerns and questions about the world. And I did not begin to see the influence until recently when I began consulting these forums for my general questions about spirituality and society.

I realize that Reiki is an occult practice and though it seems harmless and well intentioned on the surface, it has a very surreptitious on the whole and also has a selfish agenda for the individual practitioners. However this is particularly hard for me to digest and understand as it involves my entire reality as I grew up and was raised on it by my Mother. I do not perform it or know much about it, I was always a little wary and suspicious as I thought it was superstitious and creeped me out when she would perform it for other people. I thought it was attention seeking, but she was my Mother and I did not and still do not feel I have the standing or place to contradict her. Sometimes I cannot control myself and restrain myself from making abrupt comments on other spirituality issues indirectly as she believes in crystals and chimes and I am a very rational person so I try to point out how those things are just superstitious, alternative lulls that can easily be disproven. Let's just say, I'm not always the most charitable of people. I don't know how else to respond so sometimes I try to pray for her. My faith is not very strong though as I've never been all that a devout tenant and attendant of Methodism.

There's a lot more to my background, but I think I'll refocus to my original question.

I had decided over the last month or so to let it go and focus on my studies at UC Berkeley since I am attempting to graduate and get a job. But since I'm living at home now, I cannot escape the sight of it at times and it bothers me because now I really know how deceptive it is. I had been waiting for the right time to talk to her about it because when I was younger, I felt distrustful that she put so much of her faith into trusting her Reiki and Tai Chi instructor. He's even called an Uncle in my family by my cousins and Aunties. I felt that she was being unfaithful to my Father and I still begrudge her for that. But since I do not have the proper place to question my Mother's beliefs, I leave it alone. We all have our own hang ups and let downs in life and it's difficult to say for me that my experience has any standing to comment on her life.

Yesterday, my Grandmother fainted and hurt herself. She hasn't been sleeping much. She has some kind of autoimmune or neurological disorder where she gets a little shaky sometimes, I thought it was Reynauld's disease but I looked that up and it's not that she gets discolored skin. But anyways, she fainted and hit her head and I know that in these situations, for other families in our Methodist community, and in our own family, her immediate thought is that she should reiki my Grandmother. I have a firm objection to this, as she is getting older and if the injury she sustains ends up having worse consequences, I don't want her to make the rest of my family believe it's okay to practice the occult, most especially my younger cousins who I've been going to Church more for so that they will at least get some proper Christian influence in their lives.

I know there's a lot of dysfunction and problems, also with just the way I want to get involved and I know sometimes that by getting involved I may be making the problem worse since I'm not the most charitable person and I do have issues with control in my own life. This is also why I've refrained from saying anything. I may not be a very good person all the time, but I know that it would not be in the interest of my Grandmother's soul to be given Reiki in her most vulnerable of moments. And My Mother has given reiki to my dying Buddhist Uncle's mother, and she said that she saw angels in the room when his mother passed. I don't know if that was true because she doesn't go to Church and practice a lot of weird new age psycho spiritualism that has nothing to do with Christ. But I don't want my Grandmother to go to hell or have demons brought into her in the guise of super natural healing.

I really have no idea what to do, and I apologize this post is so long, but I thought the background might help. If there's any advice you can give, I am so unsure of if there's even a right course of action.

Thank you and God bless.
Old Feb 18, '12, 12:25 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What to do about Mother Reiki-ing sick Grandmother?

What is your grandmother's faith and how does your grandmother's faith practices feel about Reiki. I think at this time in your grandmother's life you need to honor your grandmother's beliefs.

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old Feb 18, '12, 1:08 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanofarc2008 View Post
What is your grandmother's faith and how does your grandmother's faith practices feel about Reiki. I think at this time in your grandmother's life you need to honor your grandmother's beliefs.
^^Ditto^^

Luna
Old Feb 18, '12, 1:31 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

I understand your concern for your grandmother's soul. It is never wise to become involved in New Age or occult practices.
This is what the Catholic Church teaches about such things:
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm
Including:
2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.

You may like to read these links
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=11753

http://www.cuf.org/FaithFacts/details_view.asp?ffID=200

Catholic Bishops on reike
http://old.usccb.org/doctrine/Evalua...xt_2009-03.pdf

I am glad that you are seeking to avoid this error yourself and urge you to pray for your grandmother and your mother.

In your heart and mind, entrust your grandmother to Jesus.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Last edited by Trishie; Feb 18, '12 at 1:44 pm.
Old Feb 18, '12, 1:41 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

Suzuki, you seem to have your head on pretty straight for someone raised in and having to deal with such spiritual confusion. I commend you for that.

I would suggest praying to Jesus asking Him to continue to protect you from any spiritual dangers in the form of "fallout" from your mom's practices. And it would be an act of love and respect to pray for Him to enlighten your mom as well - possibly the greatest gift you could give her.

Pray also, of course, for your grandmother, and know I'll be praying for all of you.

Be firm, and continue to speak the truth in love. It takes courage but it's worth it. Once years ago a friend of mine wanted to "send" me Reiki when I was under the weather, but I tactfully and firmly refused the offer, knowing it was well-meaning but not being comfortable with it. This friend has now returned to the practice of the Catholic Faith she was raised in.

I wish you success and grace in your own spiritual walk with Jesus and here are a couple of resources - one Protestant and one Catholic, both thoughtfully written, that I've found helpful and interesting myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Unmasking-New-.../dp/0877845689

http://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/...e_info/90.html (Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J.)

Old Feb 18, '12, 3:30 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

I don't think you should condone a practice that goes against God. I would put it to God, and pray for wisdom. Talk to your grandmother, and tell her you wish to bring a priest, if she allows. See also, if she allows to talk about Jesus with you. Just pray. If she says no to all these. Simply, pray in the room, and ask the Lord for your grandmother.

Remember to avoid confrontation. Just pray to God for wisdom and guidance. Pray to God for your grandmother.

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:18 am

Religion: Raised Methodist, struggling in faith.

I haven't been able to respond for quite some time as my Mother and the rest of my family went down to visit her last weekend. I also have been steeped in midterms this past week, but I've been meaning to get back a reply.

Thank you all so much for the advice and feedback. Especially the emphasis to keep praying and in particular, to avoid confrontation. I will continue to pray for her and if the proper opportunity arises, to ask if it's okay to bring in a pastor. New Age is so prevalent that it is difficult to speak without offending some of the people I know and my family knows, but I believe my pastor or my Grandmother's pastor will be glad to step in for her recent injury and health condition without any particular attention to Reiki or other occult practices. I also know that this is a good option, it is non-confrontational. Thank you for that advice.

My Grandmother does not seem offended by the thought of Reiki, she has received it before, but I think it was mainly out of simply being open to it, but that her beliefs are not really inclined to New Age practices. At her Church, the Pastor and his family (she is Methodist as well) all sing in the choir and do not ascribe to some of the changes that have come with my Mother's generation. In terms of her beliefs, I believe she wants to do the right thing by God and Jesus as she reads the bible frequently, especially when she is upset and hopes the Bible will lead her to God and that he will help to take the anger and frustration away. I don't know much beyond that as I have only recently come to know my Grandmother for who she is and not just as my family member.

Her condition seems to be okay. She fainted and hit her head, but there was no concussion. She was rushed to the hospital emergency and was scanned with an MRI machine, but no significant damage seems to have occurred to her brain and cognitive functions. She hurt her knee and has to ice it, so she has taken necessary precautions to heal adequately for that, staying off it and not applying too much pressure or use. She seems to be okay in her mood and attitude as well, so for now it seems like it was a false alarm but a bad scare. It has actually prompted my Mother and my Aunties to try and visit her more often and help as the cause of her fainting and falling was due to her not getting hardly any sleep and being exhausted, which is a reoccurring problem. I don't have a whole lot of agency as I am a younger member of the family, so I will do what I can in my prayers and the few opportunities I have to converse with her directly. (My family is Japanese and though we are somewhat relaxed as we've lived in the US for a few generations, our formality in some situations is still a little strictly defined).

I will also continue to pray for wisdom and try harder to look for alternatives to confrontation. I have had a bit of a bad habit of talking down to these practices but my intent is only to bring awareness of the danger or the misguided faith placed in them when they might be considered harmless at best. Some of the people I attempt to help make more aware of it take it the wrong way as though I am talking down to them and the reasons that they believe in those practices as well as the very real and deep rooted reasons they were vulnerable to the belief in the first place. If I am to reach them, it will require a much more gentle approach with respect to awareness and discussion of the merits of the practice.

Thank you again.
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:27 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

I thank the Lord for the wisdom He has bestow upon you. God bless!

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality