Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 9:07 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Abstaining from some kinds of fish during Lent?

It always seemed strange - and certainly less than penitential - that hamburger was forbidden during Lenten Fridays (and Ash Wednesday), but there was no problem with salmon, lobster, crab, and similar "luxurious" seafoods. Does anyone also abstain from "allowable" but perhaps "rich" types of seafood like these?
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:17 am

Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Abstaining from some kinds of fish during Lent?

Meh. Lobster was once seen as peasant food. That is just a cultural norm. However, as it is our cultural norm, I do still find it a bit out of whack with the spirit of the season to eat it. Therefore, I usually limit myself to fish on Fridays.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Well I didn't think any kind of Fish was off the list during meatless days during Lent on Wednesday's and Friday's

Like anything else a discipline of moderation should be observed whether your eating anything really, Lent or otherwise.

And be it that I live only 15 miles from the Lobster Capital of the World its not a big thing for me anyway. I think King Crab is far nicer. Scallops are too rich, three, four are my limit.
Pacific or Atlantic Salmon steaks are nice BBQed.

On Good Friday after a two meal fast my family traditionally eats Fish Cakes for supper.
Being a insulin dependent Diabetic I have to monitor myself carefully if I chose to fast and skip taking insulin or risk a low.
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:43 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

The church doesn't say you have to eat seafood. The church says you can't eat meat. Meat is symbolic of Christ's flesh. We humans are much more like a cow than a lobster.

Also, what is considered luxury food changes with times. Lobsters used to be fed to prisioners in New England for example. While trout was a rich man's food.

As long as you are abstaining from meat, you can eat whatever seems appropriate to you. Since food like lobster is a luxury now, choosing not to eat it on Fridays in Lent makes since. Beans or a simple dish like pasta and tomato sauce are very common choices.
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:00 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
The church doesn't say you have to eat seafood. The church says you can't eat meat. Meat is symbolic of Christ's flesh. We humans are much more like a cow than a lobster.

Also, what is considered luxury food changes with times. Lobsters used to be fed to prisioners in New England for example. While trout was a rich man's food.

As long as you are abstaining from meat, you can eat whatever seems appropriate to you. Since food like lobster is a luxury now, choosing not to eat it on Fridays in Lent makes since. Beans or a simple dish like pasta and tomato sauce are very common choices.

I guess I'm trying to relate how humans are like cows except for both being mammals.
And given all the scientific studies done on human consumption of red meats and their link towards various types of cancer makes me wonder if humans were meant to eat red meats in the first place. But hey what does science always know.
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:03 am
Banned

I abstain from fish and seafood all the time. Even on Fridays of Lent!
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:33 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
It always seemed strange - and certainly less than penitential - that hamburger was forbidden during Lenten Fridays (and Ash Wednesday), but there was no problem with salmon, lobster, crab, and similar "luxurious" seafoods. Does anyone also abstain from "allowable" but perhaps "rich" types of seafood like these?
I agree with you. Here are a couple of posts of mine from an older thread (February, 2010):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
With all the comments about Lenten Specials, fish sandwiches, etc, I have to ask a question. Is anyone else bugged that "Red Lobster" has a Lobster Fest during Lent? It just seems so wrong to me that anyone would go have lobster during Lent and they have this big Lobster Fest to try to get people through the doors. I love lobster and would like to see a Lobster Fest ANY other time of the year, but they have it during Lent all the time. It really bugs me, since I feel too guilty to eat there during Lent.

I guess I should just continue to do what my mother always suggested: "Offer it up."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Just came across this article. The author might feel the same way that I do about Lenten meals at Red Lobster.

"Something Fishy

Catholics, the world over, are in the midst of the Lenten season. Lent, of course, means many things to many people. For some, it is a time of preparation. For others, it is about sacrifice. For me, Lent has always meant, first and foremost, fish on Fridays. "...

Entire article here: http://spectator.org/archives/2010/0...omething-fishy

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism