Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 11:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default "Holy Father"

I've just always wondered why we Catholics call the Pope the Holy Father, because obviously we have had some "not so holy" Holy Fathers before. Do you still address a bad Pope as Holy Father (ex. Leo X, Sixtus V, Boniface VIII)?
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:40 am
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: "Holy Father"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
I've just always wondered why we Catholics call the Pope the Holy Father, because obviously we have had some "not so holy" Holy Fathers before. Do you still address a bad Pope as Holy Father (ex. Leo X, Sixtus V, Boniface VIII)?
The reason that Catholics call the Pope the Holy Father is for reverence to the Holy Office of succesor to Saint Peter. Even if a pope is not personally holy, the office of Christ's Vicar is.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:10 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

Holy Father is an ancient Middle Eastern tradition for spiritual leaders. The early hermits in the desert would address their spiritual directors as Holy Father. This is very common in the Eastern world.

The most famous and most influential of these is the pope, but he is not the only Holy Father.

Several of the Orthodox Patriarchs are also addressed as Holy Father even by our own popes. St. Dominic and St. Francis were also called Holy Father, while the pope was called, Lord.

In the Benedictine tradition, the superior is is called Holy Father in Hebrew. He is called Abba. Hence the title The Abbot and the house that is headed by this holy father or abba, is the abbey.

In the case of women religious superiors we add Reverend and Mother to their title. We know that reverend is also used for the ordained. A deacon is Rev. Mr. A diocesan priest is Rev. Father. The bishop is Most Reverend. A religious superior is Very Reverend.

These are all titles that have a shared meaning to the people of a certain time and have carried on as part of Catholic and Orthodox tradition.

I had to chuckle, because three years ago, Pope Benedict hosted one of the Orthodox Patriarchs. I can't recall which one. But in their public appearance, they kept referring to each other as "His Holiness." Pope, on the other hand is very Catholic. It's actually Italian, not Latin, Papa.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

What's the IQ required to enter heaven?

I'm over here
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:18 pm

Send a message via MSN to iohanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReducation View Post
St. Dominic and St. Francis were also called Holy Father, while the pope was called, Lord.
Yeah, I was really taken aback when I was mentally translating a bit of the Latin of the Litany of Saints. The part that goes, "Ut domnum apostolicum et omnes ecclesiasticos ordines in sancta religione conservare digneris" means, "that you may deign to preserve the apostolic lord and all ecclesial orders in holy religion." It's a really cool title, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReducation View Post
Pope, on the other hand is very Catholic. It's actually Italian, not Latin, Papa.
I thought it was from the Greek, pappa, because I'm pretty sure the Patriarch of Alexandria was called Pope long before the Roman bishop was...
Old Feb 27, '12, 9:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Be careful, because sometimes what we think we "know" about "bad" popes is propaganda from the time, written by enemies of the Church. It's amazing how some of this stuff can be so persistent in histories.
Old Feb 29, '12, 6:11 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Must be an Anglophone thing. Has anyone heard him being called "Pater Sanctus"?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism