Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 7:36 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Accidentally missing fast

Yesterday (Friday) I ate meat before realising that it was in fact Lent and a Friday and that I should not have been eating meat. It was a genuine error, not simply not being bothered. I am struggling to figure out if I need to go to Confession or not? I obviously don't want to receive the Eucharist on Sunday if I shouldn't be. I said a Litany as a penance, could I fast on another day to make up for it?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I never knew about Lenten fasting/abstinence before so it's all new to me.

My blog
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:38 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Accidentally missing fast

Can you sin on accident? no

Can you receive the Eucharist this weekend? yes

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
Yesterday (Friday) I ate meat before realising that it was in fact Lent and a Friday and that I should not have been eating meat. It was a genuine error, not simply not being bothered. I am struggling to figure out if I need to go to Confession or not? I obviously don't want to receive the Eucharist on Sunday if I shouldn't be. I said a Litany as a penance, could I fast on another day to make up for it?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I never knew about Lenten fasting/abstinence before so it's all new to me.
If you think you might need confession, certainly go! Next week, rig up your phone to remind you that it's Friday. I have my phone remind me right before my lunch time because my mind is on my work and I've forgotten before and selected a lunch with meat in it on accident.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:39 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

If it makes you feel any better, I accidentally ate some meat yesterday as well. I'm a nanny, and often finish the toddler's food in order to not throw it away. (that might gross some people out, but there's much grosser things in this job.) Hours after I ate a few bites of lasagna, it dawned on me that I ate meat. It happens. We try for it to not happen, but an accident is an accident. I will be receiving Holy Communion this Sunday.

I'm not sure if we are supposed to abstain from meat another day to "make up," but it can't hurt. I'm interested to see opinions regarding this.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:40 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Anglican

Just out of sheer interest. I would like to know how you didn't know it is Lent

Especially if you went to Ash Wednesday service or had pancakes on tuesday, for shrove tuesday?
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:40 am

The same thing happened to me last year and I made it a point to mention it in confession. Do that, you'll feel better, even though it was done without thinking. My reasoning behind confessing it was that I forgot because God was not central enough in my mind, especially during Lent, to keep me aware of my responsibilities.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:43 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonh View Post
Just out of sheer interest. I would like to know how you didn't know it is Lent

Especially if you went to Ash Wednesday service or had pancakes on tuesday, for shrove tuesday?
I know it's was Lent, I just forgot about the fasting requirements. In the UK we are supposed to abstain from meat on Fridays anyway, which I don't normally do for health reasons but decided to follow it for Lent to see how it went. So that's why the Lent specification was there.

My blog
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:58 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
I know it's was Lent, I just forgot about the fasting requirements. In the UK we are supposed to abstain from meat on Fridays anyway, which I don't normally do for health reasons but decided to follow it for Lent to see how it went. So that's why the Lent specification was there.
I am in UK by the way see my area as Yorkshire.

Then I recommend what the Irishrush poster suggested and make a point for you to raise it in confession. If you just forgot which we all do, actually do from time to time and I bet just about most Roman Catholics have eaten meat on friday at some point in Lent by accident or too inconvient not to without making a fuss about it. etc, its human nature to forget things but as Irishrush poster also commented, their heart wasn't on God enough? Its okay to make mistakes.

It regularly gets said on here if you didn't know you were doing.... if its an accident... it not really a sin. Read that all the time on here
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:28 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

It certainly isn't mortally sinful because you didn't do it consciously. There really is no question there, and that being said, there is no impediment to you receiving Holy Communion on those grounds.

Was it venially sinful? Perhaps. IrishRush had an excellent point, just because something is an accident, doesn't mean that we didn't contribute toward it. We might have been negligent in reminding ourselves. I think it is worth mentioned in confession next time, but also remember that each reception of Holy Communion absolves from venial sin. If there was fault, I think we can all agree it was minor. Should you strive to do better remembering? Yes.

On a separate note, you mentioned that their were health issues involved. If that is the case, you might be excused from the requirement altogether depending on what they are (getting excused from the fasting requirement on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday is fairly common, though getting excused from abstinence from meat is rare--pardon the pun.)

A good site to learn more about Catholic homeschooling:
Catholic Homeschooling
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:44 pm
Banned

It happens.

I actually heard a priest tell this story. He was at some conference and went to breakfast at the hotel buffet. His Bishop was with him. He loaded up his plate and then the Bishop said, "I guess you forgot today is Friday." He said he felt about an inch tall. "Well, you can't put it back, and you shouldn't waste it." And then the Bishop just stood there, grinning. The Bishop could have stopped him from grabbing the bacon, he just didn't want to miss the opportunity to make the priest squirm a little.

They're actually good friends. It was a guy thing to do,
Old Feb 26, '12, 3:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
It happens.

I actually heard a priest tell this story. He was at some conference and went to breakfast at the hotel buffet. His Bishop was with him. He loaded up his plate and then the Bishop said, "I guess you forgot today is Friday." He said he felt about an inch tall. "Well, you can't put it back, and you shouldn't waste it." And then the Bishop just stood there, grinning. The Bishop could have stopped him from grabbing the bacon, he just didn't want to miss the opportunity to make the priest squirm a little.

They're actually good friends. It was a guy thing to do,
and the Bishop didn't have to actually say anything at all.... so all done in humour and I hope the priest remembers that at times Good story

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality