Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 8:38 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default 'Iran ready to wipe Israel off the map'

Tehran's deputy defense minister warns Jerusalem against strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, says 'any action by Zionist regime will bring about its destruction'

Speaking at a ceremony honoring past Hezbollah commanders, Vahidi said that "Israel is weaker than it has ever been and its army is tired and humiliated… This is why it is trying to solve its problems by talking about taking action against Iran. But these are ridiculous statements.

"Iran's warriors are ready and willing to wipe Israel off the map," he declared.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...194444,00.html
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:35 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: 'Iran ready to wipe Israel off the map'

Just remember, God is in control of the whole situation-always pray without ceasing-God may be using Iran and Syria and other hostile nations as part of His ultimate plan in biblical prophecy.
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:42 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post
Tehran's deputy defense minister warns Jerusalem against strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, says 'any action by Zionist regime will bring about its destruction'

Speaking at a ceremony honoring past Hezbollah commanders, Vahidi said that "Israel is weaker than it has ever been and its army is tired and humiliated… This is why it is trying to solve its problems by talking about taking action against Iran. But these are ridiculous statements.

"Iran's warriors are ready and willing to wipe Israel off the map," he declared.

I'm fairly certain Iran wishes to wipe Israel off the map as soon as the former has the nuclear capability to devise a military strategy. A preemptive air strike by Israel would make that wish more difficult to activate, but I have no doubt there would be repercussions by Iran against Israel and possibly the US.
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:48 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post

There is a degree of anxiety over here about this, with Gulf States making various statements, and Iran threatening to close the Strait of Hormouz.

For me personally, here I sit in one of the countries that is between the two nations and wonder how this will develop.

Mother, Mother-in-law, Granny (2 girls & 2 boys )

I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord . . . . . to give you a future with hope. Jer 29:11
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:51 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
I'm fairly certain Iran wishes to wipe Israel off the map as soon as the former has the nuclear capability to devise a military strategy. A preemptive air strike by Israel would make that wish more difficult to activate, but I have no doubt there would be repercussions by Iran against Israel and possibly the US.
Iran hates the US---we definitely need to keep standing with Israel---God still has plans for Israel in His prophetic plan. I think that God will maybe use the US as well.
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:39 am
Forum Elder

Has anything really changed in this respect in the last 50 years?
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:11 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Not really, but as long as they are crying wolf, we'll be on the hook.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:59 am

Quote:
No, not at all.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:09 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraabarlow View Post
Iran hates the US---we definitely need to keep standing with Israel---God still has plans for Israel in His prophetic plan. I think that God will maybe use the US as well.
Because of course, they are "God's chosen nations".

I thought we left that thinking behind in the 16th century. Ah well. Perhaps Israel is doing God's will by stealing land from the Palestines, breaking EU and UN law despite warnings?

Sorry, folks - national elitism really irritates me.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:32 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Well, yes.

50 years ago Iran was not hostile to Israel. In fact, the two countries had a relatively warm relationship. That changed 30 years ago with the Iranian revolution which installed the current theocratic government of Iran. However, Israel supplied a significant amount of arms to Iran during that country's war with Iraq in the 1980s, so Iran must have been seen as a lesser threat. And Iran was happy to cooperate.

Iran's funding of the anti-Israel Hezbollah didn't really take off until the 1990s. Israel's threats to launch a preemptive attack on Iran didn't begin until 8-10 years ago.

A lot has changed during the past 50 years.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:50 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post

I thought we left that thinking behind in the 16th century..
Oh.... I guess you are unaware of the belief in American Exceptionalism. The notion has a great deal of currency among US conservatives and Republican politicians often mention it, directly or indirectly.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
I'm fairly certain Iran wishes to wipe Israel off the map as soon as the former has the nuclear capability to devise a military strategy.
In the opinion of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey, Iran and its leaders are rational actors in the region, so fears along those lines are overblown. Further, the latest US intelligence estimate is that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program and is nowhere near the capability of producing a bomb. Also further, Supreme Iranian leader Khameini has declared that Iran has adpoted a no first strike policy, meaning Iran will be the first to launch any attack, because it is contrary to Islam.

Khameini is the real power there, not Ahamdenijad, who has no power over the Iranian military.
The expenses involved in health care, especially in the case of accidents at work, demand that medical assistance should be easily available for workers, and that as far as possible it should be cheap or even free of charge.

Pope John Paul II Laborem Exercens (19)
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:09 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post

I thought we left that thinking behind in the 16th century. Ah well. Perhaps Israel is doing God's will by stealing land from the Palestines, breaking EU and UN law despite warnings?

Sorry, folks - national elitism really irritates me.
I totally get that. I feel the same way.. Actually US patriotism irritates me when I see American politicians say America is the best country in the world and the country that invented any such thing as a constitution... like all the rest of us dont have constitutions and the rest of the world is still in the dark ages

At least the Jewish people have the Bible to back them if they are a bit elitist. The Bible does say God chose Israel from among the peoples - not cause they were fantastic or smart mind you, but because they were small and weak and He could prove His glory through them - and that the Messiah would come from their ethic group. Thats pretty awesome..

Now as Christians we know that the devil hates Jews, hates Christians, hates Marriage, hates women, and hates basically everything that God made very well with a certain passion.

About Ahmedinejah. He is a psychopath. I read he believes that if he can bring about a kind of "last battle" then he can rush in the end of time... Its for him then a religious belief that if he can make a nuclear war, he is bringing about a good, namely the last judgement and the end of the infidel world.

If someone also read something about that.. it would be interesting to know more.
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceDK View Post
I

About Ahmedinejah. He is a psychopath. I read he believes that if he can bring about a kind of "last battle" then he can rush in the end of time... Its for him then a religious belief that if he can make a nuclear war, he is bringing about a good, namely the last judgement and the end of the infidel world.
He simply does not have the power to do that.

BTW, some Christian fundamentalists here in the US have a similar apocalyptic vision...bringing about the "rapture".
The expenses involved in health care, especially in the case of accidents at work, demand that medical assistance should be easily available for workers, and that as far as possible it should be cheap or even free of charge.

Pope John Paul II Laborem Exercens (19)
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:26 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Oh.... I guess you are unaware of the belief in American Exceptionalism. The notion has a great deal of currency among US conservatives and Republican politicians often mention it, directly or indirectly.
I've heard the term before and see a few (hilarious, and with very bad CGI) local Republican campaign videos which might have mentioned it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News