Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans

Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans Click here to visit this social group

Old Feb 15, '12, 11:55 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Smile Share us your story and why you're / were veg?

I'm a vegetarian just because dairy products and meat contains added hormones and that affects your health negatively. I'm a vegetarian since year 2009.
There's a naturpath doctor that has his own program on the radio and I, instead of paying him a visit to get evaluated and get a vegan diet just for me, I went and did it on my own and that's how I've been.

I'm going to make an appointment to get evaluated ( they evaluate by iridology). I'm weaker than before, when I wasn't a veg. I remember how much weight I could lift (for a girl) and now, the full water galon from the fridge is super heavy. that my hands shake when I try to put the galon back. I wasn't like this! And same with excersies, all was good. Now, I do some excersie and I get dizzy. I'm having memory problems, I don't remember recent stuff and I take my time processing what someone is telling me, live.

I don't want to switch back. I want to be a vegetarian until I die. I belive that being a vegan or vegetarian is healthier! It's just that I'm not doing it the right way.

so, yeah, that's my story. I will appreciate any advices from anyone here!

Please God, continue to bless our relationship, that we may bring each other closer to You through Christ, our Lord, in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Old Feb 15, '12, 7:20 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Share us your story and why you're / were veg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_7 View Post
I'm a vegetarian just because dairy products and meat contains added hormones and that affects your health negatively. I'm a vegetarian since year 2009.
There's a naturpath doctor that has his own program on the radio and I, instead of paying him a visit to get evaluated and get a vegan diet just for me, I went and did it on my own and that's how I've been.

I'm going to make an appointment to get evaluated ( they evaluate by iridology). I'm weaker than before, when I wasn't a veg. I remember how much weight I could lift (for a girl) and now, the full water galon from the fridge is super heavy. that my hands shake when I try to put the galon back. I wasn't like this! And same with excersies, all was good. Now, I do some excersie and I get dizzy. I'm having memory problems, I don't remember recent stuff and I take my time processing what someone is telling me, live.

I don't want to switch back. I want to be a vegetarian until I die. I belive that being a vegan or vegetarian is healthier! It's just that I'm not doing it the right way.

so, yeah, that's my story. I will appreciate any advices from anyone here!
I think you are wise to see a doctor to have this checked out - and a dietian can help you create a vegetarian diet that provides all the nutrients you need - you obviously are not able to do this on your own, and your health is too important.
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=488
Old Feb 18, '12, 3:37 am

Religion: Christian

For me it's after I really looked into the barbaric methods which aren't necessary for farming animals for either meat or dairy.

When I think of the word farm, so many horrific images are able to pop to my mind, all of which are what I've seen while researching the processes before and after animal slaughter.

I'd also like to add, that it isn't even a requirement to eat meat or any other product from an animal. The most part of the human population on this earth don't even get to enjoy meat anyway, given the poverty and all.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 18, '12, 6:33 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
For me it's after I really looked into the barbaric methods which aren't necessary for farming animals for either meat or dairy.

When I think of the word farm, so many horrific images are able to pop to my mind, all of which are what I've seen while researching the processes before and after animal slaughter.

I'd also like to add, that it isn't even a requirement to eat meat or any other product from an animal. The most part of the human population on this earth don't even get to enjoy meat anyway, given the poverty and all.
It is interesting that people become vegan for many reasons, health, resource issues, the enviroment, BUT i have found that if the issue of how animals are treated is not the reason or a factor, it is easy for some to justify the occasional meat or animal product...

You are certainly right , most of the world eat meat in short supply, in the west we have benefited from a high protein diet, health, cognition, so switching to a plant based diet dosen't mean just omitting but swapping protein and nutrients... Can take a while to get the hang of it... If someones health suffers they won't keep it up... Obviously the goal is to provide responsible support for each other... For some getting to a dietian is a great idea... Research on-line is what most of us do, but we always have to consider the source of information too

Blessings my friend!
Old Feb 28, '12, 6:51 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I went vegan after watching "Meet your Meat". It was pretty much an instant transformation for me, and I just passed my 1yr anniversary this past week. It was pretty cool. It hasn't been easy,e especially because I live in the country. But, I feel at great peace with my decision
Old Feb 29, '12, 6:03 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartaflame View Post
I went vegan after watching "Meet your Meat". It was pretty much an instant transformation for me, and I just passed my 1yr anniversary this past week. It was pretty cool. It hasn't been easy,e especially because I live in the country. But, I feel at great peace with my decision
Thank you so much heartaflame! So very true, once we learn something it is impossible (I believe) to unlearn it - and then our actions must reflect this knowledge or we live in conflict with ourselves.

Many of us truly feel this choice resonates with our faith, so we are so glad you are here!
Old Feb 29, '12, 7:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartaflame View Post
I went vegan after watching "Meet your Meat".

I feel really bad for the other person who eats meat :/

Quote:
and I just passed my 1yr anniversary this past week. It was pretty cool. It hasn't been easy,e especially because I live in the country. But, I feel at great peace with my decision

Please God, continue to bless our relationship, that we may bring each other closer to You through Christ, our Lord, in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Old Mar 11, '12, 9:29 am
Observing Member

Hi!

I'm new, I am Sister Joy, a religious and a new vegan! I was veggie / vegan off and on from college through novitiate... then I moved to a country where vegetarianism was seen as a really alternative lifestyle. I could not in good conscience ask my community to make an exception for me (we all had to eat the same food... a much stricter community life in that country), so I went back to being an omnivore. Now I am back and have been vegan for about 10 days... I love it and my energy level is great. For those who are doing this for the first time, let me tell you that my first go round was a disaster, because I was eating junk food instead of good balanced food with lots of legumes, grains, fortified foods like cereals and plant milk, etc. The first time around I felt weak, cranky, shaky, my hair fell out... this time, 15 years later, I feel amazing. I just did a 6.5 mile run and could have done a couple more... and I'm well over 30 and have been overweight and out of shape.

Why be vegan? Because I want to be nonviolent across the board... to animals, to people, to workers, to my body, to the planet. Being organic and vegan as much as possible is part of simplicity and getting away from factory commoditization of creation. So far my Sisters seem okay with my decision and we are even watching "Vegicated" (spelling?) as a community! And we are *not* one of those typically tree-hugging, ecological orders! So I feel confirmed in my call to not eat animal products.

Peace,
Sr. Joy
Old Mar 11, '12, 10:14 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm0kjp View Post
Hi!

I'm new, I am Sister Joy, a religious and a new vegan! I was veggie / vegan off and on from college through novitiate... then I moved to a country where vegetarianism was seen as a really alternative lifestyle. I could not in good conscience ask my community to make an exception for me (we all had to eat the same food... a much stricter community life in that country), so I went back to being an omnivore. Now I am back and have been vegan for about 10 days... I love it and my energy level is great. For those who are doing this for the first time, let me tell you that my first go round was a disaster, because I was eating junk food instead of good balanced food with lots of legumes, grains, fortified foods like cereals and plant milk, etc. The first time around I felt weak, cranky, shaky, my hair fell out... this time, 15 years later, I feel amazing. I just did a 6.5 mile run and could have done a couple more... and I'm well over 30 and have been overweight and out of shape.

Why be vegan? Because I want to be nonviolent across the board... to animals, to people, to workers, to my body, to the planet. Being organic and vegan as much as possible is part of simplicity and getting away from factory commoditization of creation. So far my Sisters seem okay with my decision and we are even watching "Vegicated" (spelling?) as a community! And we are *not* one of those typically tree-hugging, ecological orders! So I feel confirmed in my call to not eat animal products.

Peace,
Sr. Joy

Thank you Sr. Joy! As you say and know for all the reasons, the people, the planet, the animals this is the best choice - and confirmed by our faith and desire to live this faith.

Blessings,

I would LOVE to know how your community continues to consider your choice - and if any of them consider joining you in this...
Old Mar 11, '12, 10:24 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm0kjp View Post

...let me tell you that my first go round was a disaster, because I was eating junk food instead of good balanced food ...
Welcome, Sister Joy!

I think this is why I'm getting weak! I didn't realized until you said that!
Good news is that I made an appointment with a naturopath doctor this Friday 16. He does iridology to evaluate you. And I'm so looking forward to this.

Old Mar 11, '12, 10:34 am

I guess I just hate the thought of killing an animal so I can eat it. Then I learned Trappists were vegetarian and then my wife decided to go vegan. So it is all pretty easy for me now. But even mroe important is cutting out simple sugars and making sure of the protein and iron. not so hard really, just more conscious and deliberate eating. It is better for the temple of the body and better for the environment.
Old Mar 11, '12, 10:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
It is better for the temple of the body and better for the environment.
It is!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans