Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 29, '12, 7:33 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Where is the tabernacle supposed to be?

At my parish we had the tabernacle at the back of the church in a prayer chapel and there was also one just to the left of the sanctuary. The priests at the parish were moved to other parishes and a new priest came in. Now the tabernacle that was to the left of the sanctuary is gone and the only one there is at the back in the prayer chapel behind closed doors. Is this ok? How do I genuflect now if the tabernacle is at the back?
Old Feb 29, '12, 8:32 pm
Banned

Default Re: Where is the tabernacle supposed to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanMan86 View Post
At my parish we had the tabernacle at the back of the church in a prayer chapel and there was also one just to the left of the sanctuary. The priests at the parish were moved to other parishes and a new priest came in. Now the tabernacle that was to the left of the sanctuary is gone and the only one there is at the back in the prayer chapel behind closed doors. Is this ok? How do I genuflect now if the tabernacle is at the back?
There should only be one tabernacle. The new priest was correct to to remove one. You say that the other is in a prayer chapel. That is very respectable and makes it possible for private adoration and prayer. It is not necessary to genuflect if the Blessed Sacrament is not within the main church. It would fine be to show respect with a bow when passing by the chapel where the tabernacle is located.
Old Feb 29, '12, 8:35 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Claire View Post
There should only be one tabernacle. The new priest was correct to to remove one. You say that the other is in a prayer chapel. That is very respectable and makes it possible for private adoration and prayer. It is not necessary to genuflect if the Blessed Sacrament is not within the main church. It would fine be to show respect with a bow when passing by the chapel where the tabernacle is located.
My parish has two tabernacles, one in the main church and one in the chapel. It is my understading that there can be more than one tabernacle but that Jesus is to be reposed in only one or the other.

I am open to correction.

As a sacristan, I have to move Jesus from the chapel where he is in repose overnight to the tabernacle in the main Church for morning morning Mass.

Again, I am open to correction, but thought that the number of tabernacles didn't matter as long as Jesus was only reposed in one.

-Tim-
Old Feb 29, '12, 9:05 pm

Religion: Catholic

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (1183), the tabernacle should be located "in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor." I don't see how placing the tabernacle in a small chapel in the back of the church meets this mandate.
Old Feb 29, '12, 9:40 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaille-Coll View Post
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (1183), the tabernacle should be located "in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor." I don't see how placing the tabernacle in a small chapel in the back of the church meets this mandate.
Good point. And also GIRM 2010:

The Place for the Reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist

314. In accordance with the structure of each church and legitimate local customs, the Most Blessed Sacrament should be reserved in a tabernacle in a part of the church that is truly noble, prominent, conspicuous, worthily decorated, and suitable for prayer.[124]

The tabernacle should usually be the only one, be irremovable, be made of solid and inviolable material that is not transparent, and be locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is prevented to the greatest extent possible.[125] Moreover, it is appropriate that before it is put into liturgical use, the tabernacle be blessed according to the rite described in the Roman Ritual.[126]

315. It is more appropriate as a sign that on an altar on which Mass is celebrated there not be a tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved.[127]

Consequently, it is preferable that the tabernacle be located, according to the judgment of the Diocesan Bishop:

a) either in the sanctuary, apart from the altar of celebration, in a appropriate form and place, not excluding its being positioned on an old altar no longer used for celebration (cf. no. 303);

b) or even in some chapel suitable for the private adoration and prayer of the faithful[128] and organically connected to the church and readily noticeable by the Christian faithful.

316. In accordance with traditional custom, near the tabernacle a special lamp, fueled by oil or wax, should shine permanently to indicate the presence of Christ and honor it.[129]

317. In no way should any of the other things be forgotten which are prescribed by law concerning the reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist.[130]

and Canon Law 1983:

The Code of Canon Law codified these developments in 1983.
CIC Canon 938
1. The Most Holy Eucharist is to be reserved regularly in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory.
2. The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved should be placed in a part of the church that is prominent, conspicuous, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.
3. The tabernacle in which the Eucharist is regularly reserved is to be immovable, made of solid and opaque material, and locked so that the danger of profanation may be entirely avoided.
4. For a grave cause, it is licit to reserve the Most Holy Eucharist in another safer and becoming place especially during the night.
5. The person who has charge of the church or oratory is to see to it that the key of the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved is safeguarded most diligently.

But for the eastern Catholics 1990 it may vary:

CCEO Canon 714
1. In churches where public divine worship and, at least several times in a month, the Divine Liturgy is celebrated, the Divine Eucharistic is to be reserved especially for the sick, and also is to be adored with the greatest reverence by the Christian faithful, with due regard for the faithful observance of the prescriptions of the liturgical books of each Church sui iuris.
2. The reservation of the Divine Eucharist is under the vigilance and moderation of the local hierarch.

Old Mar 1, '12, 6:40 am

Religion: Catholic Professed Lay-Carmelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
My parish has two tabernacles, one in the main church and one in the chapel. It is my understading that there can be more than one tabernacle but that Jesus is to be reposed in only one or the other.

I am open to correction.

As a sacristan, I have to move Jesus from the chapel where he is in repose overnight to the tabernacle in the main Church for morning morning Mass.

Again, I am open to correction, but thought that the number of tabernacles didn't matter as long as Jesus was only reposed in one.

-Tim-
In the church itself there is one tabernacle.
If the chapel is seperate from the church a seperate tabernacle is used for Adoration and if Our Lord is reposed after scheduled hours of Adoration he would be at the chapels tabernacle, not the churches.

Is your chapel attached or seperate from the church. Do you move the single luna containing Our Lord or a chalice with those reserved from a previous mass?

Many churches have more than one tabernacle, that is to be used on Good Friday.
Old Mar 1, '12, 7:05 am
Banned

Not knowing how the OPs church is set up, I don't want to say that the situation for the tabernacle is wrong. It sounds pretty respectable to me, unless the doors are always locked and no one ever has access to go in and pray. If there are legitimate questions regarding this they should be addressed to the pastor who made the decision or the Office for Worship in the diocese.
In my church,we have one tabernacle built into a wall that separates the main church from the chapel. There is a door on both sides and a sanctuary lamp burning on each side.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments