Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 18, '12, 12:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default What happened to head covering for women?

I've been raised Catholic and just now, as an adult (post Vatican II), thinking about women and covering of the head. I find myself "re-discovering" my Catholicism and embracing the rich Catholic traditions and find myself feeling closer to God and Jesus because of this.

It is my understanding that after Vatican II, many women stopped covering their heads at mass -- even though it was not written anywhere that this "tradition" should be ended?

It seems that the Vatican II "updates" somehow, written or unwritten, "liberated" women and encouraged them to be more similar to men? (even though it seems the bible encourages us to embrace the differences of the male and female).

Growing up (in the 80's), I do not recall seeing any women with veils in church. However I do find a few women in my current parish who wear a veil during Mass.

I often feel as though other Christian denominations "conveniently" only adhere/read/apply certain parts of the bible to their life. I have never thought that about the Catholic Church. But feel like I am missing something in my spiritual life after reading Corinthians 1, chap. 11. It seems like with "modernizing" we have omitted these teachings?

I hope that I will understand more from your response as I do not have theology training.

My hope is that the church relies on the bible and sacred tradition in this matter and not on personal preference or "calling".... which can get so muddled when left up to the human heart.

Thank you!
Old Mar 3, '12, 2:34 pm
AAA Docent

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What happened to head covering for women?

The following links should help answer your questions about head covering for women. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Must women wear veils in church?
Can I cover my head all of the time?
The Vatican and women's head coverings

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist