Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > WYD: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 23, '05, 12:15 am

Religion: Catholic
Exclamation Reactions from those who were at WYD 2005 Cologne

I just arrived back from Cologne (about 2 hrs ago) and am curious to see what others who were there thought about the event. I haven't had time to digest everything yet and am very tired (we did about 27 hrs worth of traveling to get back)! God bless you all and God bless the Catholic Church!

Que viva el Papa!
Old Aug 23, '05, 2:46 am

Default Re: Reactions from those who were at WYD 2005 Cologne

My two sons arrived home late Sunday night from WYD. They are both absolutely bubbling. They loved every minute, have made many new friends, have bonded even closer with the friends they went with and, most importantly, have returned with a deeper love for Jesus and the Chuch.

In the Lord is my true salvation
In the Lord my lasting joy
Old Aug 23, '05, 8:36 am

I just got back from WYD and It was awesome. The Deutsch we saw on our final pilgrimage were very friendly and they gave us bread and tea. Seeing the pope was powerful and I can tell you he is a fantastic preacher his homily at the closing mass was very good.
Old Aug 23, '05, 3:56 pm

I am very very touched, It was a powerful weekend, many new friends, very nice people and not the routine cold people. I am very happy, and Benedict XVI is a show catholic man
Old Aug 23, '05, 4:29 pm

My 16 year old son just came back and said he could really really feel the Holy Spirit in Cologne. Although God is everywhere, he said he's glad he came to Cologne to find Him because you could really feel His presence in the place where so many young believers gathered in His name. He said kids from the countries of the world would greet each other on the streets, even though they spoke different languages, because there they spoke from the heart and would just spontaneously burst into song to praise our Lord and to celebrate their common Faith. He is proud to be a faithful member of the Catholic Church and I'm so proud of him. He can't wait for Sydney.
Old Aug 23, '05, 8:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Nance

My 18 yr old son arrived home safely this afternoon and v e r y tired. We made a Welcome Home banner that stretched from one end of the van to the other and decorated it, we purchased helium ballons and had those all over the van too...when the bus pulled in and he came off MOM was there holding and hugging him real tight and YES the tears of joy just flowed , it was a real emotional moment for me.
He said he'd do it again but differently...He enjoyed the people and the cultural differences very much. The most awesome site he saw was the tomb of St. Mathew and the Tunic of Jesus.
He was one of 34 from our parish that went and all of them came home safe and sound.
What an amazing experience for him
Old Aug 24, '05, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franze
I am very very touched, It was a powerful weekend, many new friends, very nice people and not the routine cold people. I am very happy, and Benedict XVI is a show catholic man
Hey I really wanted to trade something for the cool looking Spanish flag with the black torro in the middle! I didn't get to however............ Next WYD maybe..........

I did get one of those cool Italian hats though
Old Aug 24, '05, 4:54 pm
Book Club Member

Just got back tonight! It was a phenomenal experience, I have many photos of WYD and will supply a link as soon as I get them organized. All's I can say is WOW! (don't have time to say much more right now, lol!)
Old Aug 25, '05, 3:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsclavoDeCristo
Hey I really wanted to trade something for the cool looking Spanish flag with the black torro in the middle! I didn't get to however............ Next WYD maybe..........

I did get one of those cool Italian hats though
Yes, Itīs interesting , we were spanish but with mexican hats, we were the sensation. I am very happy for that peregrination. Very happy. It was unforgetable.
Old Aug 26, '05, 9:57 pm
Inactive Member

It was the most amazing and challenging week of my life. Definitely life-changing. It all came together for me at the Adoration that took place during the Vigil. Very awesome ...It's impossible for me to convey it all here, but if anyone would like to discuss, email me at [email protected], or add me to MSN.

Viva il Papa! (And Canada too )
Old Aug 27, '05, 5:58 pm

i just got back tuesday morning. wow- i can't even express what i felt- peace, happiness, the catechesis and seeing the pope and everything had such an impact on my life! i can't wait till sydney!!!
Old Aug 28, '05, 8:32 am

Good:
- It was fun.
- Great way to really see and appreciate how universal the Church is. I'm sure that's quite helpful for Catholics who sometimes feel alone in the faith.
- "BXVI" gave a _great_ address at the vigil, and his homily at the mass wasn't bad either. (Incidently they can both be found on the Vatican's website).
- I liked the catechtical instruction (archbishop of London is cool)

Bad:
- It sometimes was a little too "celebraty worshippy" with regard to the Pope.
- At times during the masses there was not much of a reverant spirit. Joy is wonderful, but... flag waving and chatting and lounging when we're supposed to remember the crucifixion? Eeeeh. I guess that isn't the organizers fault though.
- Some of it was kind of cheesy and... well... protestanty in an atmospheric sort of way. But I guess that is what appeals to younger people so whatever.
- Protestant propaganda: anybody else notice that stuff being given out? Not to mention the pro-condom posters.

More Good:
- Germans are nice! Who knew?
- People actually got along pretty well... even with the hyperactive Italians.
- I was suprised how well the theme of the 3 Magi was woven into so many things, without seeming forced.
Old Aug 28, '05, 3:29 pm

My son loved the Italians and said the Spaniards were a blast.
Old Aug 31, '05, 10:06 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Michael Welter Send a message via MSN to Michael Welter Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Welter

Our pilgrimage lasted 15 days. We were a group of 80, representing mostly 2 parishes, but had people from 3 other parishes in our group. We left California on the morning of August 9th. We spent 8 hours in the Netherlands, where we had lunch provided by the Poor Clares in Einhoven. That was really nice.

We then flew to Rome, and bussed to Assisi. After several days of exploring Assisi (What an incredible experience, I want to live there), we bussed back to Rome, and spent several days there, including the Vatican. We had our own private Mass in the Catacombs below St. Peter's Basilica, in fron of the tomb of St. Peter. That was the highlight of my whole trip. What a blessing.

We then flew from Rome to Cologne, and took a train to Dusseldorf, where our hotel was. We had to alter our plans, due to the difficulty of moving around on the public transportation system. It wasn't built to handle the extra million+ people there for WYD. However, being with other family members from around the world was awesome. The spirit of oneness was amazing.

I was disappointed at the acsual atmosphere during the closing Mass with B16. There were so many people smoking, that we couldn't find a place on the field where it couldn't be smelled. We even had to ask a group smoking pot to move away from our teens.

Overall, the trip was extremely exausting and uplifting. I was a chaperone on the trip, and wouldn't have missed it for anything. Seeing the awesome youth there renewed my faith in the future of the Church.
I love my wife

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > WYD: 2005