Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 3, '12, 5:14 am

Religion: Protestant but wishing to convert
Unhappy Can I become catholic though I'm divorced ?

I have struggled with this the last few years. I was previously married in aprotestant church but my husband was already divorced. I am now happily remarried many years later it was a civil ceremony . My new husbands parents were catholic though he was not brought up in the faith for some reason my uncle ( mums brother) and many aunts uncles cousins are all practising Catholics and I have attended mass several times in the past. I would dearly love to become a catholic but am worried that my divorce would stop me ???
Old Mar 3, '12, 6:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Anglican
Default Re: Can I become catholic though I'm divorced ?

I think that your best option would to be discuss it all with the parish priest and they will guide you from there. You be able to go through whole circumstances etc and he will know. You will get many a varied answer on here and not all of them as right as all that. Contact the Roman Catholic Priest of the church you are going to and just be simply honest with them and they will guide you through.

Amen
Old Mar 3, '12, 6:42 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triciamcl31 View Post
I have struggled with this the last few years. I was previously married in aprotestant church but my husband was already divorced. I am now happily remarried many years later it was a civil ceremony . My new husbands parents were catholic though he was not brought up in the faith for some reason my uncle ( mums brother) and many aunts uncles cousins are all practising Catholics and I have attended mass several times in the past. I would dearly love to become a catholic but am worried that my divorce would stop me ???
You must try to get your first marriage nulled. Ask a priest in your church about it. That's the only way.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Mar 3, '12, 6:58 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
If your first husband was already divorced, your marriage to him may not have been valid - i.e. you were never really married to him in the first place in the eyes of God. His divorce has no meaning in the eyes of God and so he couldn't actually have married you if he was still married to his first wife.

If the Church recognises that there never was a marriage there, it will grant you an "annulment," and you would be free to marry your current civil husband in the Catholic Church.

If it is your second husband who was divorced, then things may be more complicated, but it's still definitely worth discussing with a priest.

In the worst case scenario, if you are validly married to your first husband or your current civil husband is validly married to his previous spouse if he had one, you can still become Catholic, although you would have to refrain from receiving communion until you were ready to live as brother and sister, as in the eyes of God you would be married to another man or he to another woman.

But even in such a situation there may have been factors that mean there has never been a valid marriage there, and I would be optimistic. From what you've said, if it was your first husband who was divorced, there is a good chance the Church will recognise your first marriage as void and you may be able to marry your current civil husband. There may be many factors in the other possible scenarios too, so I wouldn't delay in discussing this with a priest.

God bless you!
Old Mar 3, '12, 7:07 am
Banned

Quote:
You'll have to speak to a priest and take his advice. Irregular marital status can be a problem when converting.
Old Mar 3, '12, 7:13 am
Forum Elder

Make an appointment with the local parish priest. Lay out all the facts of your situation and let him guide you. There are a number of factors that will guide the direction this takes, and the priest needs to know everything.

You may have a Ligamen case based on your ex having been previously married. This chart might be helpful:

http://www.diocs.org/Portals/1/Docum...ion_matrix.pdf

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 3, '12, 9:13 am

You should make an appointment with a priest who will be in the best position to help you sort out your marriage status. Divorce does not prevent one from becoming Catholic, however, there maybe restrictions on receiving certain sacraments if you do not have an anullment.
Old Mar 4, '12, 6:43 am

Thanks everyone but there is an additional complication in that my present husband is also divorced. I also do not think he wishes to become a practising catholic at this time, I am concerned that I can not be received into the church because of this ?
Old Mar 4, '12, 6:50 am
Trial Membership

You should be fine. Ask a priest to explain the ins and outs.
Old Mar 4, '12, 6:53 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Thanks everyone but there is an additional complication in that my present husband is also divorced. I also do not think he wishes to become a practising catholic at this time, I am concerned that I can not be received into the church because of this ?
Go talk to your priest. Yes, his prior marriage will also have to be dealt with and a determination made. He does not have to become a Catholic.

Please go see your priest. You will needlessly worry and speculate here, and you may get misinformation. So, it is best to go talk to the priest.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 4, '12, 6:10 pm

You will need to speak to your priest. It sounds like the first marriage could be dealt with as a ligamen case which is much less complicated. The second marriage the one you are currently in your OH (other half) will need to receive a declaration of nullity for his previous marriage - however, he does not need to become Catholic. You will then assuming that neither of you have impediments need to convalidate your marriage in the Church. God bless,

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old Mar 28, '12, 11:07 am

Red face Re: Can I become catholic though I'm divorced ?

I would like to thank everyone very much for their advice and support. I have visited my local priest and discussed matters with him and feel much more positive now. I will be joining the next RCIA. group when it begins In the Autumn. Thanks once again
Old Mar 28, '12, 5:00 pm

Excellent!!!

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments