Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans

Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans Click here to visit this social group

Old Feb 29, '12, 2:57 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Question Can vegetarians eat oysters?

I got a vegetarian cookbook (I'm a new lacto-ovo vegetarian, 1 week today!) and it recommended I used oyster sauce in a recipe.

I thought at first it might be sauce for oysters but when I found it in the supermarket it did contain oysters.

Am I justified then in writing a negative review for the book on Amazon? Or am I missing something here? Are they suitable for vegetarians?
Old Feb 29, '12, 4:02 pm

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Can vegetarians eat oysters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
I got a vegetarian cookbook (I'm a new lacto-ovo vegetarian, 1 week today!) and it recommended I used oyster sauce in a recipe.

I thought at first it might be sauce for oysters but when I found it in the supermarket it did contain oysters.

Am I justified then in writing a negative review for the book on Amazon? Or am I missing something here? Are they suitable for vegetarians?
Vegetarians eat fish and some of them will also consume dairy.

It's vegans that wont eat any animal at all or dairy. So vegans don't eat oysters but vegetarians do.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 29, '12, 4:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
Vegetarians eat fish and some of them will also consume dairy.

It's vegans that wont eat any animal at all or dairy. So vegans don't eat oysters but vegetarians do.
No that's not true! That is actually a very offensive thing to say!

People who only eat fish and no other meat are called Pescetarians, not vegetarians! It is a myth that groups like The Vegetarian Society are really keen to get rid of. No fish please! Vegetarians do NOT eat any animal flesh and fish are animals!

Vegetarians are people who do not eat any animal flesh, but some eat eggs or milk. Some only have milk and not eggs.

However, Google says that oysters is an interesting one as vegetarians are split as to whether its an animal or not, or something.
Old Feb 29, '12, 4:46 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
No that's not true! That is actually a very offensive thing to say!
I don't see how it is offensive.

Quote:
People who only eat fish and no other meat are called Pescetarians, not vegetarians! It is a myth that groups like The Vegetarian Society are really keen to get rid of. No fish please! Vegetarians do NOT eat any animal flesh and fish are animals!
Never heard of the Vegetarian Society.

Quote:
Vegetarians are people who do not eat any animal flesh, but some eat eggs or milk. Some only have milk and not eggs.
I see oysters as a living thing and I myself do not believe in consuming them.

Quote:
However, Google says that oysters is an interesting one as vegetarians are split as to whether its an animal or not, or something.
Al the vegetarians I've ever known all eat fish. I believe them to be hypocrites since it is still the taking of a life.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 29, '12, 4:51 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I don't see how it is offensive.

Never heard of the Vegetarian Society.
It's the charitable organisation in the UK which authorises whether something can have the V (suitable for vegetarians) logo on its packaging or not. It also campaigns against the idea that someone can be a vegetarian and eat fish.

Quote:
I see oysters as a living thing and I myself do not believe in consuming them.
I always thought so too.

Quote:
Al the vegetarians I've ever known all eat fish. I believe them to be hypocrites since it is still the taking of a life.
But then they're not vegetarians. Then again, I am in the same situation - I've known 2 who have said they're a veggie and then say "but I eat fish." I think the 'but' part tells me they know its hypocritical.

Thank you for responding, it's something I've found interesting as to why people think they can be veggie and eat fish (although I am aware this may not have been your opinion).
Old Mar 1, '12, 7:12 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
It's the charitable organisation in the UK which authorises whether something can have the V (suitable for vegetarians) logo on its packaging or not. It also campaigns against the idea that someone can be a vegetarian and eat fish.

I always thought so too.

But then they're not vegetarians. Then again, I am in the same situation - I've known 2 who have said they're a veggie and then say "but I eat fish." I think the 'but' part tells me they know its hypocritical.

Thank you for responding, it's something I've found interesting as to why people think they can be veggie and eat fish (although I am aware this may not have been your opinion).
One who is a vegetarian in all things but fish is actually a pesciterian -
so feel free to share that clarification with these people -

We are all making this journey together - so - for some the vegetarians who continue to eat dairy and eggs - or wear leather - to vegans this is not right either - some vegans eat honey, others also find this to be non vegan because of how it is produced - or use silk -- so as we learn we chose to make changes - and any steps in this direction is a good!

So... my suggestion is to write the author and publisher and let them know their 'vegetarian' cookbook has several items which are not vegetarian but contain fish - however they may have assumed you know about a product like this:

Vegan 'oyster' mushroom sauce: http://www.amazon.com/Weitai-Vegetar.../dp/B0012HN818
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=488
Old Mar 21, '12, 12:55 pm

Post Re: Can vegetarians eat oysters?

This is for clarity.

Vegetarians do NOT eat by-products from animal flesh. If the source is avial, terrestrial or marine, it is NOT eaten by vegetarians.

Vegetarians may eat bee products, milk products and egg products. Vegetarians may eat Vegemite and Promite (in case an Aussie or Kiwi wants to know).

Vegetarians may eat seaweeds and other aquatic plants. Unfortunately the English language is such that "seafood" is understood by most speakers of English as "products SOLELY from marine animals" but this is NOT literally true! Seaweeds are also seafoods. This is similar to when most Americans use the term "Christian" and EXCLUDE "Catholic" as opposed to other people around the world.

Vegans do NOT eat bee products, milk products or egg products.

So in short, vegetarians do NOT eat oysters or other water-borne animals simply because they ARE animals, not plants or of a nutrient nature like Vegemite or Promite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4elise View Post
One who is a vegetarian in all things but fish is actually a pesciterian -
so feel free to share that clarification with these people -

We are all making this journey together - so - for some the vegetarians who continue to eat dairy and eggs - or wear leather - to vegans this is not right either - some vegans eat honey, others also find this to be non vegan because of how it is produced - or use silk -- so as we learn we chose to make changes - and any steps in this direction is a good!

So... my suggestion is to write the author and publisher and let them know their 'vegetarian' cookbook has several items which are not vegetarian but contain fish - however they may have assumed you know about a product like this:

Vegan 'oyster' mushroom sauce: http://www.amazon.com/Weitai-Vegetar.../dp/B0012HN818
Old Mar 21, '12, 5:08 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathCountryMan7 View Post
This is for clarity.

Vegetarians do NOT eat by-products from animal flesh. If the source is avial, terrestrial or marine, it is NOT eaten by vegetarians.

Vegetarians may eat bee products, milk products and egg products. Vegetarians may eat Vegemite and Promite (in case an Aussie or Kiwi wants to know).

Vegetarians may eat seaweeds and other aquatic plants. Unfortunately the English language is such that "seafood" is understood by most speakers of English as "products SOLELY from marine animals" but this is NOT literally true! Seaweeds are also seafoods. This is similar to when most Americans use the term "Christian" and EXCLUDE "Catholic" as opposed to other people around the world.

Vegans do NOT eat bee products, milk products or egg products.

So in short, vegetarians do NOT eat oysters or other water-borne animals simply because they ARE animals, not plants or of a nutrient nature like Vegemite or Promite.
Thank you - that was the point I was trying to make - one who eats fish, but abstains from meat, (and possibly dairy and eggs) is a pescatarian ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pescatarian ) - and that perhaps the cookbook thought that 'everyone' knew that there was an 'oyster sauce' made from oyster mushrooms - not the oysters that live in the sea - ;-)
Old Mar 22, '12, 3:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Theres no excusing this one though - another vegetarian cookbook produced by the vegetarian times has suggested I use worcester sauce. I don't know of any vegetarian version, but on the ingrediants it lists "anchovies".
Old Mar 23, '12, 6:18 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Theres no excusing this one though - another vegetarian cookbook produced by the vegetarian times has suggested I use worcester sauce. I don't know of any vegetarian version, but on the ingrediants it lists "anchovies".
You should let both the author and publisher know and return the book to the store.... Because, of course you right really don't understand this kind of confusion from those who write or publish books?
Old Mar 24, '12, 12:41 am

There is vegetarian oyster sauce and worcestershire sauce - at least in Canada there is. Try looking in a Chinese grocery store, that's where I get mine. You can also substitute soy sauce for oyster sauce in equal amounts. It's not quite the same, but fairly close if you can't get vegetarian oyster sauce. You can also make your own worcestershire sauce: 1 tbsp of sauce = 1 tsp tamarind paste + 1 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar + dash hot pepper sauce + small pinch of ground cloves.
Old Mar 26, '12, 8:42 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizies View Post
There is vegetarian oyster sauce and worcestershire sauce - at least in Canada there is. Try looking in a Chinese grocery store, that's where I get mine. You can also substitute soy sauce for oyster sauce in equal amounts. It's not quite the same, but fairly close if you can't get vegetarian oyster sauce. You can also make your own worcestershire sauce: 1 tbsp of sauce = 1 tsp tamarind paste + 1 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar + dash hot pepper sauce + small pinch of ground cloves.
THANKS for the worcestershirie sauce recipe!
Blessings!
Old Oct 1, '12, 10:04 pm

As a clarification. About 50% of vegans eat honey. Vegans do not use materials, eat food or any other product that comes from animals. At all.

the reason why some eat honey, is because a bee, is not really an animal. Its an insect. But i will add, if you would like to eat fish, its really up to you. Your diet is your diet. You don't have to fit into the normal "vegetarian" standards. Just don't tell anyone you are a vegetarian that eats fish. This is the same is saying you are a Catholic, that doesn't go to Mass. lol ;P
Old Dec 15, '12, 2:05 pm

Quote:
I
How many vegetarians have you known? I can honestly say that I have never met anyone who ate fish and called themselves a vegetarian. And I have known dozens of vegetarians (and have been one, and married to one, for over 20 years).

For the record, I agree that anyone who ate fish (including oysters or products containing them) and called themselves "vegetarian" would, indeed, be a hypocrite. Actually, what they would be, is deluded...
Old Dec 15, '12, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizies View Post
The "gourmet grocery" section on Amazon sells 6 or 8 different brands of vegan Worcestershire sauce, the cheapest being only $3.99. Just search "vegan Worcestershire." In fact, put the word "vegan" in front of just about any food when searching Amazon or even Google and you're bound to find dozens of options.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans