Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 29, '12, 7:00 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Wednesday's show on Financial Managemenet

I don't know; it just seems like the show sounded rather worldly. Though chock full of good advice,the message just didn't ring 100% right. Very good financial advice indeed, but it just seems like the wrong venue and an iffy use of the Scriptures to justify the pursuit of wealth.

I do not believe God is calling everyone to the pursuit of wealth, but that is one of the messages I took away from the show. There seemed to be too much emphasis on the pursuit of riches and even presenting it as somewhat of a mandate from on high to pursue wealth "to help others". Twice the guest quoted the pope saying we have an "inescapable duty to create wealth"---a quote I have yet to find outside the guest's online article---but was probably the pope speaking in the context of free enterprise and social injustices around the world---- not an "inescapable duty" for every individual to make material wealth. Not everyone is called to be materially wealthy, in fact, for most it becomes a stumbling block to entering the Kingdom of God. Wealth is a gift, and not everyone gets that gift, because for many it becomes a means to spiritual misery.

I was also rather annoyed when host Patrick Coffin shot down the caller who suggested the parable of the talents is about spiritual gifts and not material wealth. I think the view that the parable of the talents is talking about material wealth misses the entire point of the parable. Just read 1 Cor. 12:28 about the different gifts God bestows the members of the Mystical Body in order to build up the Kingdom of God. Scripture is not talking about mammon.

What's more, all Catholics are very wealthy in the sense that they were given the treasure of Truth and empowered with Sanctifying Grace in overflowing measures through the Seven Sacraments---not for our mere personal sanctification, but rather as a gift to share with those who are starving for truth and love. Non Catholics, especially non-Christians are the poor, and we the wealthy are called to share and give what God freely gave us. As Mother Teresa put it, The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.

Yes, feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless and visit the imprisoned. But these good deeds can all be done without being wealthy.

And another thing. There are only a few places in Scripture where someone is called a fool, but there is an entire parable known as The Parable of the Rich Fool, which is about the man who put much emphasis on wealth building and filling up his barns so that he could live a life of comfort and leisure. (Luke 12:13)

It's not about pursuing wealth so we can help others in need, but rather about helping those in need within our own state in life. As for money, Jesus tells about the widow who donates two small coins, while the wealthy donate much more. Jesus explains to his disciples that the small sacrifices of the poor mean much more to God than the extravagant donations of the rich. Christ derided the wealthy who gave from their surplus while the poor widow gave everything she had. On top of this we have the young rich man who came to Jesus asking him what to do. Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. (Matt. 19:20-22)

Having a show about wealth management is great, especially for people struggling with managing their income. But when the show becomes a venue for how to pursue riches and store up wealth in the proverbial barn--while justifying it as a "way to help others" is to walk along a very fine line between being a responsible steward of what God gives us, and the pursuit of riches in the service of mammon.

I don't mean to denigrate the fine work which the guest provides, which I think is very necessary, especially these days when people are slaves to debt incurred by the love of materialism and the pursuit of hyper-consumerism. The general message I got left me uneasy. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 2, '12, 5:50 am
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Wednesday's show on Financial Managemenet

The quote, is a misquote, the real quote is "The creation of wealth is an inescapable moral duty". If you perform a search on the real quote you will find it was made at a new years in 2009
Old Mar 2, '12, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMadog View Post
The quote, is a misquote, the real quote is "The creation of wealth is an inescapable moral duty". If you perform a search on the real quote you will find it was made at a new years in 2009
Thanks! Yes I was able to find Pope Benedict's New Year's address Fighting Poverty to Build Peace

The quote must be read in context of the entire address, which is speaking about the negative repercussions for peace, especially when entire populations live in complete poverty due to conflicts resulting from injustice and social/economic systems which do not address the root cause of poverty. The pope goes on to say:

Faithful to this summons from the Lord, the Christian community will never fail, then, to assure the entire human family of her support through gestures of creative solidarity, not only by “giving from one's surplus”, but above all by “a change of life- styles, of models of production and consumption, and of the established structures of power which today govern societies”
Old Mar 8, '12, 10:19 pm

Perhaps the word "wealth" in English carries a lot of baggage. At one extreme, one fights poverty by creating "wealth" and making people wealthier, it's axiomatic. At the other extreme the term is associated with greed and even filth ( in part because of jealousy?).
Old Mar 22, '12, 1:22 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

I think it would be helpful to have a show on debt management for those of us who are already over our ears in debt and trying to get our finances back under control. This particular show was more aimed towards people who are trying to save for the future and all that but when you're as in debt as I am saving isn't REALLY an option, unless you want to carry that debt even longer.

Although, I must say if I had had someone explain to me why credit cards are BAD before I got them... I'd probably be in much better shape now!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)