Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 26, '12, 8:00 am
Banned

Religion: Ex-Baptist Catholic
Default Coptic Christians?

I often hear about "Coptic Christians" who are from Egypt on the news. What is a Coptic Christian, and how similar are they to Catholics?

Thanks, Jared Z.
Old Mar 26, '12, 10:15 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Coptic Christians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZetterlund View Post
I often hear about "Coptic Christians" who are from Egypt on the news. What is a Coptic Christian, and how similar are they to Catholics?

Thanks, Jared Z.
I think they are also referred to Oriental Orthodox (not to be confused with Eastern ). The Coptic Church is an apostolic church that became separated sometime before the Byzantine Church. They have valid Sacraments and there is a subgroup that is in Communion with Rome.
Old Mar 26, '12, 11:05 am

google this

HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS OF THE
COPTIC CHURCH OF ALEXANDRIA

S. MARK TO THEONAS (300)
ARABIC TEXT EDITED, TRANSLATED, AND ANNOTATED
BY B. EVETTS

peace
Old Mar 26, '12, 12:05 pm

Religion: Ruthenian Catholic

The Coptic Orthodox are indeed one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches. This communion of churches did not accept the Council of Chalcedon (451), which they were unable to reconcile with the christological dogmas of the Council of Ephesus (431). They are not, nor have they ever been, Monophysites. Unlike the followers of the Eutychian heresy, which was condemned at the Council of Chalcedon, they do not deny that Christ has a human nature consubstantial with ours.
Old Mar 27, '12, 7:44 am
Banned

Religion: Ex-Baptist Catholic

So they have a valid Sacramental system and are similar to Catholics in practice? Well thats good to know.
Old Mar 29, '12, 12:05 pm

Let me point out that while the vast majority of Coptic Christians are Oriental Orthodox, there are some Eastern Catholics and I believe Eastern Orthodox who will also refer to themselves as "Copts." In the case of the Coptic Catholic Church, they still use the Alexandrian liturgy, and I assume they retain other aspects of Coptic traditions.

Also it bears remembering that the word "Coptic" can also have an ethnic connotation. The Copts are still, evidently, genetically distinct from the Arabs who conquered and took over Egypt, and the Coptic language is just what the language of the Ancient Egyptians has evolved into over the Millennia. Indeed the word "Copt" is just an alternate version of the word "Egyptian." Used in the ethnic sense one could theoretically speak of Muslim Copts or atheist Copts, just as there can be Christian Arabs or atheist Arabs, though I don't know if non-Christians of this ethnicity are in the habit of continuing to call themselves Coptic.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Mar 29, '12, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBlack View Post
The Coptic Orthodox are indeed one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches. This communion of churches did not accept the Council of Chalcedon (451), which they were unable to reconcile with the christological dogmas of the Council of Ephesus (431). They are not, nor have they ever been, Monophysites. Unlike the followers of the Eutychian heresy, which was condemned at the Council of Chalcedon, they do not deny that Christ has a human nature consubstantial with ours.
In a narrowly literal sense, at the very least, the Oriental Orthodox were and remain Monophysites, since if you ask them how many natures Jesus Christ has they will answer, "one." However, what they mean by this is very different from what other Monophysites like the Eutychians or Apollonarians believed (those two were very different from each other, but each in different ways ended up denying the full humanity of Jesus, which the Oriental Orthodox don't). For this reason the word "Miaphysite" is today generally preferred to "Monophysite", though again going by a literal definition of Monophysitism, Miaphysitism would be one variation of it.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jul 16, '12, 12:59 am
Trial Membership

Post Re: Coptic Christians?

Sometime....! I read many time books which is written on coptic christians... And I also want to know about coptic christians. They have much diffrent events then other cast parties.. Also have diffrent leaving style then others.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:08 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelred Minor View Post
In a narrowly literal sense, at the very least, the Oriental Orthodox were and remain Monophysites, since if you ask them how many natures Jesus Christ has they will answer, "one." However, what they mean by this is very different from what other Monophysites like the Eutychians or Apollonarians believed (those two were very different from each other, but each in different ways ended up denying the full humanity of Jesus, which the Oriental Orthodox don't). For this reason the word "Miaphysite" is today generally preferred to "Monophysite", though again going by a literal definition of Monophysitism, Miaphysitism would be one variation of it.
Miaphysite comes from St. Cyril's famous formula mia physis tou Theou Logou sesarkomenč, one incarnate nature of God the Word. Does that mean St. Cyril was a "monophysite"?
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:33 am

Religion: Coptic Orthodox Christian

For the sake of your sanity, please leave it alone, Credo. Some people cannot help themselves.

But in case anyone is curious what the Copts believe and say about themselves, here is HG Bishop Youssef of the Southern U.S. Diocese responding to the false charge of "monophysitism", which is something we have never believed and will never believe. It is against our Christology just as much as dyophysitism, and for a similar reason, too (because the divinity and the humanity united in Christ are not separated, so how could one be taken away or destroyed?).
Old Oct 14, '13, 10:25 pm
Banned

I should like to attend one of their liturgies one of these days.

Reminded of when, by accident, I found myself in an Orthodox ceremony wondering why the parking lot was not nearly on a Lenten confessional service that was instead one block away.

I have been watching the news in Egypt with great interest and have taken to following Bishop Suriel and a few others on Twitter. Definitely praying for them in their hard times, regardless of whatever liturgical and more substantial differences there are.
Old Oct 15, '13, 9:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZetterlund View Post

Thanks, Jared Z.
Well "Coptic" is essentially (as I understand it) a sort of Hellenized Egyptian, describing the
Egyptian culture, language, mode of writing, etc. Christians of this origin are known as Coptic
Christians. Now there are two MAIN Churches I believe, the Coptic Orthodox Church and the
Coptic Catholic Church (the latter I think broke off from the Orthodox and entered into commu-
nion with the Roman Catholic Church).

The Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus is
"The Miraculous Saint," the Catholic
Patron Saint of "lost causes" and of
"cases despaired over."
Old Oct 16, '13, 2:32 pm

Religion: Rom Cath and Tib Budd

I've read Mark was their Pope.
Old Oct 16, '13, 3:58 pm

Religion: Episcopal .

The Coptic Church grew up around Alexandria and was founded by St. Mark -they diverged from the main body of Catholics very early in Church History -I attended one of their services-long -much incense -chanting -Icons-St. Mark was not a Pope-the Coptics do have a Pope

It seems to me they are very close to early Christians in belief and liturgy -also perhapsed influenced by the Nestorian Church

Old Oct 16, '13, 5:51 pm

Religion: Ruthenian Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmodrmac View Post
The Coptic Church grew up around Alexandria and was founded by St. Mark -they diverged from the main body of Catholics very early in Church History -I attended one of their services-long -much incense -chanting -Icons-St. Mark was not a Pope-the Coptics do have a Pope

It seems to me they are very close to early Christians in belief and liturgy -also perhapsed influenced by the Nestorian Church

Influenced by the Nestorian Church? I don't think so. The Coptics and the other Oriental Orthodox could not accept the Council of Chalcedon exactly because they believed the Tome of Leo and the Chalcedonian Defintion to be prone to Nestorianism.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)