Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Authors, Writes, Publishers Group

Catholic Authors, Writes, Publishers Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Mar 10, '12, 1:26 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Publishing--Suggestions and Experience

I pray for comments from anyone with general or specific suggestions about issues to consider by an author trying to find nerve to publish their first book (I have three that I have mostly finished, about as far as I think I can, and I have several others started--wondering which one(s) might have the best chance to find readership, and a reasonable, helpful publisher.)

My three wonderful kids chipped in for a birthday present a couple years ago--a weekend seminar on how to get published--but it mostly discussed media and popular fiction. I guess I wound up more timid rather than more confident, although I feel a strong obligation to jump in for my kids as well as myself, and hopefully, at least a few readers. I'm getting contacts from several publishers who want $1000 to $5000+?

Would you please share comments, especially on finding good publishers and self-publishing options and experience?

Last edited by eschator83; Mar 10, '12 at 1:28 pm. Reason: 2nd thoughts
Old Mar 22, '12, 3:21 pm

Default Re: Publishing--Suggestions and Experience

Right now I am publishing my works as e-books. Amazon has a self-publishing program and so does Barnes & Noble. These programs do not charge but the downside is that your books will not be in print.

I currently am also looking for a cheap book publisher who will print my works as real printed books. It is quite a struggle.

Your new source for all things related to Cardinal Fratelli!
http://thoughtsoflightinthedark.blogspot.com/

Old Mar 30, '12, 2:10 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Thanks very much for your encouragement to look at the self-publishing options--I'm on my way to check. Any further comment you can make on what led you to select Amazon, and if you would do it again would be very helpful.
Also I hope you'll comment further on your search for publishers, and agents?
I wish you the best success with your books--is there any message(s) you are telling within the plot?
Old Mar 30, '12, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Thanks very much for your encouragement to look at the self-publishing options--I'm on my way to check. Any further comment you can make on what led you to select Amazon, and if you would do it again would be very helpful.
Also I hope you'll comment further on your search for publishers, and agents?
I wish you the best success with your books--is there any message(s) you are telling within the plot?
My friend who is a published author suggested I use Amazon. Well I am trying to tell a message about trust in God in my comedies.

Your new source for all things related to Cardinal Fratelli!
http://thoughtsoflightinthedark.blogspot.com/

Old Jun 9, '12, 1:57 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to sobercatholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by latingirl View Post
Right now I am publishing my works as e-books. Amazon has a self-publishing program and so does Barnes & Noble. These programs do not charge but the downside is that your books will not be in print.

I currently am also looking for a cheap book publisher who will print my works as real printed books. It is quite a struggle.
Amazon does have a paperback print option available through CreateSpace. (See: http://www.createspace.com). It is relatively easy to upload a book, they have a lot of information on doing it, plus a great community where assistance is available.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Authors, Writes, Publishers Group