Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 2, '12, 2:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Smile The life of the animals

I am anti sharkfinning and also against the abuse of any and all animals.
I just want to see how others feel about it all.
Feel free to share what you want and if anyone wants to pm me go ahead.
Old Apr 2, '12, 3:15 pm
Forum Master

Default Re: The life of the animals

Being from MN I have no idea what shark finning is, but it sounds nasty. Anyway, yes animals are not there to be treated badly--by us causing unnecessary pain and suffering. We are to respect that they are creatures created by God and treat them humanely.

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 2, '12, 3:33 pm
Banned

We don't owe justice to animals, but common sense says finning as it is now practiced is inappropriate.
Old Apr 2, '12, 3:53 pm

I also am against the abuse of any and all animals. However, provided they are treated reasonably and humanely, killing them for use as food, clothing or subjects in animal experimentation studies does not constitute an abuse of our rights over animals, which were entrusted to us by God.

In all cases, care, protection and conservation fall under our duty of stewardship to them, and I too oppose the practise of shark finning, as it is incredibly wasteful, as most of the shark is discarded and not used as food, and it causes unnecessary suffering to the animal, which dies slowly from the injury.
Old Apr 2, '12, 4:08 pm

Smile Re: The life of the animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lazy View Post
I also am against the abuse of any and all animals. However, provided they are treated reasonably and humanely, killing them for use as food, clothing or subjects in animal experimentation studies does not constitute an abuse of our rights over animals, which were entrusted to us by God.

In all cases, care, protection and conservation fall under our duty of stewardship to them, and I too oppose the practise of shark finning, as it is incredibly wasteful, as most of the shark is discarded and not used as food, and it causes unnecessary suffering to the animal, which dies slowly from the injury.
I agree I mean for food and other things related to that is fine and yes finning is wasteful and nothing comes out of it at all.
Old Apr 2, '12, 4:23 pm

I "like" animals and have a deep appreciation and respect for the natural world. That said I'm beyond disgusted with the sort of neo-paganism that puts animals on the same level as humans or even anywhere close.

I can't stand when people say they "love" animals.

I would never abuse an animal, and I would go to great lengths not to kill it. That said, I would kill every animal God created to feed the mouths of hungry people. I would destroy any animal's home in order to provide for homeless people. And if the world's cutest dog tried to kill me or any human, I would snap it's neck if necessary.

I don't even like when people get bothered by seeing images on TV of animals fighting if they don't care when they see humans fighting. Animals fight. For some reason some people like to pretend they don't. It's a beautiful part of nature seeing different species trying to survive.

Worse, if a puppy or a horse dies in a movie, the audience freaks out and cries like babies. But if a person gets killed in a movie, there's hardly an emotional response from the audience. Our sympathies are invested entirely in the wrong place.
Old Apr 2, '12, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBuild18 View Post
I "like" animals and have a deep appreciation and respect for the natural world. That said I'm beyond disgusted with the sort of neo-paganism that puts animals on the same level as humans or even anywhere close.

I would never abuse an animal, and I would go to great lengths not to kill it. That said, I would kill every animal God created to feed the mouths of hungry people. I would destroy any animal's home in order to provide for homeless people. And if the world's cutest dog tried to kill me or any human, I would snap it's neck if necessary.

I don't even like when people get bothered by seeing images on TV of animals fighting if they don't care when they see humans fighting. Animals fight. For some reason some people like to pretend they don't. It's a beautiful part of nature seeing different species trying to survive.

Worse, if a puppy or a horse dies in a movie, the audience freaks out and cries like babies. But if a person gets killed in a movie, there's hardly an emotional response from the audience. Our sympathies are invested entirely in the wrong place.
Thats a bit harsh and its realy because we as humans have self controll an animal attacks for alot of reasons: protection, self defence, mating rituals and some others also.
The reason I care is because the animal kills to survive and its also instincs that drive it. sometimes people act on a whim and do not think or are blinded by emotion when they kill like when its directed at another person.
Old Apr 2, '12, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaldo View Post
We don't owe justice to animals, but common sense says finning as it is now practiced is inappropriate.
We might as well say then that we do not owe justice to anyone. Animals are sentient beings also creatures of God. So it is not about common sense but it is about decency and following the teachings of Christ.

Finning is about cutting off the fins of live sharks, it is also done to dolphins. How would it ever be appropriate?
Old Apr 2, '12, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus68 View Post
We might as well say then that we do not owe justice to anyone. Animals are sentient beings also creatures of God. So it is not about common sense but it is about decency and following the teachings of Christ.

Finning is about cutting off the fins of live sharks, it is also done to dolphins. How would it ever be appropriate?
I agree
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBuild18 View Post

I do love animals. You do not have to love animals in the same way as none of us needs to 'love' any human being. I do not like animals dying in movies, neither do I like babies and children dying in movies.

You say animals are lower than humans but you attribute human qualities to animals. Animals have no free will. Humans have free will and are made in the image of God.

If you want to feed the hungry, work to bring back land for cultivation, build wells, teach agriculture and agrarian techniques. Killing all the animals is short sighted, a short lived 'solution'.

You may not find the life of an animal of much worth, it is obvious that God does. 'Not a sparrow falls...'
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:21 pm

Quote:
I do love animals. You do not have to love animals in the same way as none of us needs to 'love' any human being. I do not like animals dying in movies, neither do I like babies and children dying in movies.

You say animals are lower than humans but you attribute human qualities to animals. Animals have no free will. Humans have free will and are made in the image of God.

If you want to feed the hungry, work to bring back land for cultivation, build wells, teach agriculture and agrarian techniques. Killing all the animals is short sighted, a short lived 'solution'.

You may not find the life of an animal of much worth, it is obvious that God does. 'Not a sparrow falls...'
You need to love every single human being, and failing to do so is failing to obey the most important commandment Jesus gave us.

I did not attribute human qualities to animals, and I do not like when people do so.

You apparently glossed over the part of my text in which I affirm that I do find the life of animals of worth, as I clearly pointed out that I respect and admire all parts of the natural world. There is also much worth to be found in their capacity to feed mouths.

God cares more about humans than he does animals, and he calls us to do the same (as does the Pope).
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:22 pm

I also love animals and if that makes people angry....o well tough for them.
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:26 pm

Quote:

Philosophers with greater minds than ours have argued over this before. Animals do not have eternal souls. We do not owe them justice. We merely owe them respect and stewardship as creations of God. We owe human beings justice. Human beings are the pinnacle creation of God, complete with rationality and an eternal soul. There is an incredibly large distinction between animals and people, including how we treat one versus the other, and if you do not understand that you cannot reserve the right to preach about a nonexistant teaching of Christ instructing us to give animals justice.
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLight View Post
I also love animals and if that makes people angry....o well tough for them.
"For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen."

-Romans 1:25
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:34 pm

im feeling slightly attacked now

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology